General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

AIR/FUEL issue MAF sensor and O2

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AIR/FUEL issue MAF sensor and O2

I just got a set of headers installed on my 02 Camaro and had it tuned up by Nick Williams. The car ran great for 2 days then it all went downhill. I was told by Nick that the MAF was de-screened which i found to be true yesterday. Now I am aware that the screen is there to produce a laminar flow to allow the MAF to gain an accurate reading. However I think the issue might be a little deeper. I recently put K&N recharge kit with the oil on the air filter. Perhaps i didn't allow sufficient drying time and the oil coated the wires on the MAF. Anyone had this issue? if so how did you clean the sensor?... Or it could simply be the screen.

Now this wasnt the only issue the Bank 2 sensor 1 is throwing a code, i will be switching it out today. Pretty sure silicone from the header seal clogged it up .... anyways let me know what you guys think. Also if anyone has a screen they would like to sell, please send it my way. Any help is appreciated.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pulling the screen on a car isnt going to do that sorry. Hell i have descreened and ported a stock maff and remove the center bar and the wide band showed like .01 difference Yes it will lean it out, but very very little not enough to hurt or do anything to your car.

Im sure its you 02's

Thats why im tuned in SD and im in open loop untill 1200rpms. dont have to worry about maff crap and wont kill 02's at idle
Old 10-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Staging Lane

What is SD and open loop tuning?
Old 10-07-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

SD/Speed Density is when you tune your maff out and open loop means your 02's are off.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BADASS35th
I just got a set of headers installed on my 02 Camaro and had it tuned up by Nick Williams. The car ran great for 2 days then it all went downhill. I was told by Nick that the MAF was de-screened which i found to be true yesterday. Now I am aware that the screen is there to produce a laminar flow to allow the MAF to gain an accurate reading. However I think the issue might be a little deeper. I recently put K&N recharge kit with the oil on the air filter. Perhaps i didn't allow sufficient drying time and the oil coated the wires on the MAF. Anyone had this issue? if so how did you clean the sensor?... Or it could simply be the screen.

Now this wasnt the only issue the Bank 2 sensor 1 is throwing a code, i will be switching it out today. Pretty sure silicone from the header seal clogged it up .... anyways let me know what you guys think. Also if anyone has a screen they would like to sell, please send it my way. Any help is appreciated.
If it was tuned with the MAF descreened, then most likely the fuel trims are good, and that wouldn't cause the problem you're describing a few days after getting it tuned. My bet would be the 02 sensor DTC is causing the problems.
Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Staging Lane

Aight i will let you guys know what happens when i swap out the o2's, b/c the car was tuned with the MAF screen out.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to the auto parts store and find a cleaner made for cleaning the MAF. The nasty oil from you KN filter got on the heating elements (if the screen was in it might not have happened). Clean the MAF, go easy on the wires, no touching with any object. Allow to dry per instructions on the can and reinstall.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am running open loop too, and i love not having my o2's anymore, and ther runs a lot better... also just spray some brake cleaner on the sensor it will work just fine...
Old 10-07-2008, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Brake cleaner is good for a lot of stuff, but do not spray it on a the heating elements of your MAF. If you did and it worked, lucky you but its not good advice. A residue can be left behind and cause damage or hot spots on the wire and heating element and will damage the MAF. Get the right stuff for the job.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

o yeah i did at my dynotune the other weekend, because my maf wasnt reading, and then i sprayed it with break cleaner, and she started working like a charm!!
Old 10-07-2008, 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

That's all fine but there is a right way to fix things and the wrong way, I prefer the right way. Too each there own. I try to give accurate repair information and diagnostics on here so people can fix their cars right the first time.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine was fixed the right way the first time no issues happend.... not trying to argue i dont really think i was in the wrong or have gave bad info to anyone....but its all good, everyone does have their own views..
Old 10-08-2008, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

I agree, I wasn't trying to slam you.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

no problem man its all good...
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by SIC LSX
pulling the screen on a car isnt going to do that sorry. Hell i have descreened and ported a stock maff and remove the center bar and the wide band showed like .01 difference ...

The wideband's not gonna show you a difference when you're riding around because the car is in closed loop and correcting itself. Maybe you got the only LS1 ever that was not impacted by MAF modification.

Descreened and "ported" MAFs like that are goofy at low airflow, frequently not repeatable, and have excessively rich trimming and WOT until tuned.

This is the kind of mod which, if you really feel it necessary should happen just prior to tuning, and definitely not afterwards.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help with this guys. Im new to the whole tuning deal, most of the things i have done with my car in the past have been suspension or rear end related. I have the o2 switched out and there was a ton of residue on the bank 2 sensor. Also I will be purchasing some MAF cleaner from the store later this afternoon, hopefully this will correct that issue. I have another quick question, when you have a tune done where is it stored in your vehicle? also will disconnecting the battery erase the program or is it stored in memory? my assumption is its like any other computer we use, its stored even when there is no power supplied to the system; therefore it cant be changed unless it is deleted or written to directly...
Old 10-09-2008, 08:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1BADASS35th
Thanks for all the help with this guys. Im new to the whole tuning deal, most of the things i have done with my car in the past have been suspension or rear end related. I have the o2 switched out and there was a ton of residue on the bank 2 sensor. Also I will be purchasing some MAF cleaner from the store later this afternoon, hopefully this will correct that issue. I have another quick question, when you have a tune done where is it stored in your vehicle? also will disconnecting the battery erase the program or is it stored in memory? my assumption is its like any other computer we use, its stored even when there is no power supplied to the system; therefore it cant be changed unless it is deleted or written to directly...
The tune is stored in PCM, which is located under the hood on the passenger side by the windshield. It's a solid state storage device, so you could disconnect it, ship it Nepal, and guess what, the tune's still there. The only things that you'll loose with the power disconnected would be the adaptive learning (fuel trims and such) and the readiness monitors (for emissions in some states).
Old 10-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Staging Lane

awesome thats what i thought, now i just have to get the MAF cleaned up and the codes deleted out.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS GONE!!!

Thanks for all the info guys
Old 10-10-2008, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

My MAF was ruined by K n N oil.....I cleaned it, light went off but came back days later... = new MAF