General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

firebird headlight lid probablem

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fire bird head light lid probablem

ok this just started happining yesterday and i cant figgure out why. when i turn off my headlights the lights turn off and flip down as usual. but when down the drivers side one makes a weard noise... not really a grinding more like a heavy rapid ticking.. it does this for about 15-20 seckonds after folding down... i have no clue whats causing it. there was no warning sympotmes just started to do it for no reason... i looked in the headlight well and its not getting hung up on any thing.... its like the headlight doesent know when to turn off the motor ...... is there maby a switch that went bad or are they electronicaly timed..... pleas if any one has had this probablem or has any idea what it is let me know...
feel free to contact me direct
cudaeh@yahoo.com
Old 09-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Default Re: fire bird head light lid probablem

check this out web page
Old 09-12-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup, sounds like the gear's going... just flip it 180 degrees and should be good

I was having that prob earlier this year... also w/mine if I hit the lock or unlock buttons on the key fob it would cause the headlights to pop up and go back down followed by a strange noise...

I messed up flipping my gear (you only hve to take the lower section apart, don't take the top medal cylinder off) so I had to put a new motor in
Old 09-12-2003, 06:30 PM
Teching In

ya, mine did the same thing this summer. As it turns out it was that headlights ACTUATOR MOTOR. I was still under warranty and the dealer fixed it. Hope that helps
Old 09-15-2003, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

horist, i never actully took appart the gear box to do the quick fix on mine. the out put shaft on the gear box has two flat spots on it that are semectrical... so all i did was take the controle arm that bolts to the output shaft and fliped that 180 dagrees and turned the motor manually to line it up... i was a little leary about if it would work but shure enough it did the trick ... that should hold me over till the metal ones arrive. thank you all for the advice the sights were helpfull
Old 09-16-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

I also just turned the output shaft 180 degrees when the gears were stripping in the down position. Worked fine... until the worn spot started slipping in the up position...

Now, I plan on opening it up and turning the gear so that the worn spot is in the 180 degrees or rotation that is not used ... if possible.....

Gordon
www.provenperformanceconcepts.com
Old 09-19-2003, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with mine 3 months after I bought it. Rather than have the dealers' bonehead techs touch my car I bought a clear lens conversion, because you know after they rape you for all your worth to do a shi--y job it will just about time for the other headlight motor die on you, and then they will rape you again to fix the second headlight. By the time your done you will have spent the same as a conversion kit.
just my thaughts though
good luck
Old 09-26-2006, 09:35 AM
Teching In

did the right headlight motor 180 switch and it FIXED the blinking/grinding problem. The left motor is needing the rebuild also. It's hard to reach that back bolt unless you use extensions and ujoint wrenches.

REASON for it wearing out? lack of lube on the linkage... opening headlights at 90mph... aging plastic... cracked support tabs/screw mounts....

over 5 front end electrical problems in ONE week -- due to summer storage in heat and driving through a huge Florida rainstorm. 2 front turn signal bulbs popped (water in housing and dried up dielectric grease), headlight motor gear, headlight socket fried, same headlight bulb fried, fog lamp - melted with high watt bulb/ popped bulb/fused unit in socket.

cost: 10 headlight, 10 headlight socket/rtv, 5 turn bulbs, 75 glass lens fog light w/55 watt bulb, headlight motor - free/grease

dealer estimate; $400 for turn signal problem. $400 for headlight motor, $200 replacement plastic lens fog light, $125 headlight socket.

INTERESTING: all of these items appeared 2 months AFTER the warranty ran out and one month after the dealer changed the oils and recommended a list of other bogus things done that I turned down. Does anyone here think the dealer mechanics would spray my connectors with degreaser and then saltwater? Hmmmm.... It's not going back for FREE oil changes anymore.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

AHH yes,.....GM's almighty power lamp gear issue. GM decided to be cheap and make that sucker out of plastic instead of metal. Good Job GM!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Restricted User

yea those brass gears are suddenly at the top of my to-do list...****** grinding is driving me insane when i pull up somewhere at night and shut off the car