Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about QTP Long Tubes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about QTP Long Tubes?

My Ls1 friends around here said headers dont help much at all when you motor is still pretty much stock. I am going to spend around 1k so they think i should do somethin else. What is your advice then if Headers arent the way to go? I want to do a cam but i might as well wait till i do heads an cam. How much would gears and a pulley help? I have bottle but i dont know. I just need some help and advice what I should do next. Thanks!

Scott
Old 09-14-2003, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Question about QTP Long Tubes?

Depends on the year car. an 01 or 02 won't pick up as much as 98-00 cars. If you are looking for headers I recommend Kooks, PPC or Jet Hot. I've had to do too much custom work to get my QTP's to work and match up to the Y-pipe. If you really wanted to do it get H/C and Headers all at once. this way you'll only have to take everything off once.
Old 09-14-2003, 08:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers should be worth 15 to 25 depending on the car, catback, etc.

my .02
Old 09-14-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

I would have to say go for it. Combined with my small bolt-ons my headers made a real difference over the factory manifolds. If you do not have any CAI or K&N or lid or decent catback I would say spend your money on those as well when you get your headers though, because they can only help to prove your friends wrong. Also do some of the free mods, every HP counts.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

I have an 01 ta. I have all free mods done with new box. I have true duals with my stock manifolds though. Do i Need to put my catback back on? If so then my true duals with rear axle bends are for sale then!

Scott
Old 09-15-2003, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

Scott, as the others have noted, the best HP per $ on a basically stock LS1 F-Body is to do a good set of long tube headers, some of which have been mentioned. Any other mods like cam and heads will NEED the headers to make their power.

No, you don't have to discard your current exhaust system. Just have it worked into the headers by your muffler shop.

Or...

I'll take it off your hands......

Gordon
Old 09-16-2003, 09:57 AM
10 Second Club

MAC headers with an off road y have shown to be worth over 20 hp on a stock engine car many times. The F-body 2000 and up have the higher flowing manifolds. The 98-99 were more restrictive which is why some people say they stand to gain more power from the header swap.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

so should I go with cats or no cats? If i got with no cats I know my bullets cant stay on due to how loud it would be. I hope to get a procharger real soon but I wanna build the engine a little better first. I also want a new rear end!!!! Thanks for you help guys as well....I would probably put pure SHI*T on my car if I didnt have your help.

Scott
Old 09-17-2003, 01:05 AM
Launching!

What no one here has said so far is that the mid length headers make more power up at the top end, whereas the LT's make more low end-mid range power. The QTP's are good although I would not get the QTEC's, they leak. I have them so I know all too well. My headers made 19 extra rwhp and 17 rwtq with a bolt on engine (all stock internals). It possibly could have made more, but I was messing around with my HPP3 on the shift points, etc. and I think I robbed myself somewhat. So to sum up for you. QTP's great headers and my y pipe fit nicely. QTEC's not so hot.