Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP Powerflo Catback

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`always loved the GMMG but they cost alot, but damn they have that 60's
muscle car sound So i'm back to the GP on the new SLP PowerFlo again. I dont mind spending a few hundred on a CB thats not too loud, that has nice tips, and has a great tone and perfect fitment. Mag, $430.00 be with ugly tips so i have to spend more to get it the way i want or SLP $630.00 with GP. Hmmmm.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I hear ya about the tips..if it wasn't more them i'd own a Mag. system already.
I just hope that if i buy the Mag. and a different set of tips, do the work to have
the new tips welded on, i hope the hell the thing isn't too quiet. I mean i'm not looking for Loudmouth loud but i want to know i have a nice CB back there and i
want other cars near me to know that my car is just another off the shelf SS.lol
The tips do remind me of a truck exhaust, but it seems to look ok on the Trans Am. Camaro looks a little strange. What do you think?
Old 11-08-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

^^yeah they are alittle too big for the Camaro. The Camaro i saw the Magnaflow on
looked cheap and not very well thought out. First off, the tips stick out alittle past the bottom lip of the bumper which looks like ****..and secondly the 3.5" diesel style tips are
too large atleast on the clean bumper line of the camaro. 3" tips are plenty big...we aren't driving Durmax diesel Silverado's. If i go will the Mag. i'll remove the tips and go with tips that look better...like a lot of guys on here say" you get what you pay more" well there's probably the reason the tips keep the cost down. Look at the Mag. with upgraded tips...now the Mag. isn't too cheap anymore..lol.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Launching!

I wished someone would post a video of this. I may be the first, I'm thinking of ordering 1. I wonder if it will sound good with my kooks and ory?
Old 11-15-2008, 01:55 PM
10 Second Club

Oh man i bet it would sound pretty sweet. Kooks are very good headers. When i get back
to my buddies house again i'm gonna look at the way the Magnaflow tips are setup.
I think the hangers are welded to the long tip that Mag. uses. On LS1sounds.com the Mag. on some cars sound awesome...like a very deep rumble but without the annoying rasp.I did like the sound clip i heard on SLP site for the new PowerFlo catback. I think it would sound really good with the DynaTech headers that i plan on going with. Also i think the GMMG catback sounds like a muscle car should sound like, and i think the if i can get the SLP system for the GP price i think its a good deal for being all t-304 and your choice of tips at no extra charge. I think as this kit's on the market i believe it will be a hit. GMHighTech just did an article on the new SLP headers and the PowerFlo CB. Together they made damn nice gains on a bone stock motor. The extra power below 2,500 rpm and carries that power all the way thru the rpm range. The mid range tq looks very impressive. They gained 33rwhp and 24 ft/lbs of torque. Its not all peak gains, the gains look good thru the whole power band. So i figure the headers were good for 20-25 rwhp and the CB made the rest which is up there with the most popular systems out there. But that CB will really shine when its hit with a head/cam setup or more cubes and especially FI
Old 11-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Launching!

I got mine from new era, $629 shipped, I also got the new rectanguler tips they just came out with. as soon as I get them on, I'll try to get a video. Brian
Old 11-16-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Regular

here ya go...on stock motor too im pretty sure this is the right one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGPNV0syidw
Old 11-16-2008, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

and heres the head and cam version with the "powerflo"

http://www.slponline.com/view_product.asp?P=31084
Old 11-16-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Luv my new magnaflow too, my dual tips are clamp on fwiw? And for $579 shipped from speedtweakerz (sp?) it was a steal too, IMHO.

PS-My banner below is a link to my fquick too...fwiw.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
Is all those parts made of stainless? I know the SLP is alittle expensive, but so is Borla and Corsa and heavy as hell. Atleast the SLP system is all stainless
incuding all its mounting hardware. Plus it weighs about what a stock system weighs which is a plus to me and i like the dual/dual tips, the others are nice too. I know i only want to bolt on a catback once with a good looking and sounding system. Dynomax is got a nice muffler that replaces our stock muffler and it has a nice deep rumble and you can look right thru the mullfer. I heard it flows alittle over 900cfm even on our WS6 and SS piping which is 2.75" which is good. But i rather pay once for an exhaust component and buy everything in stainless and be done with it. Slp has to be ,i think, alittle more aggressive in their pricing. It hasn't been out long enough to charge a premium price. They should have a introductory pricing scheme to get people to gain interest. Not hit the public over the head as soon as its released unproven. But knowing its made by SLP that makes high quality parts, a company that GM trust to make the SS and Firehawk, i think they should price it for $575.00 to $595.00 in all fairness or less. Then if no one buys it at that pricing them people you are just being rediculous. A high flow CB is needed for even the smallest head/cam combo and it would be hundreds cheaper than Borla, Corsa, and most over the axle true duals that are stainless. And as i stated earlier, its a hell of a lot lighter than borla, corsa, and most if not all the aluminized systems. So with the GP in place that 10% off of $599.00 for a total of $60 for a total of $540.00 for a high flowing, polished mufflers and tips as well. Thats cheaper than what i payed for my first Borla in 1999 to 2000. That was $575.00. I talked with New Era seeing that if we can get enough orders is shipping will be at no extra charge, but i cant ask yet. I found it hard to believe that no one is interested...its not a loudmouth....the Loudmouth II muffler is put in there to cut down on hi frequency pulses, whicjh helps to cut down on rasp. And the 2 other mufflers give the system a deep muscular muscle car sound without rasp and less drone. I think for $530 it's a good deal...in my opinion its time to just stop posting over the same old
questions about what gains a FAST gives or where it leaks or not, the fact it splits or cracks...yada yada yada....Catbacks are bolt on and forget and get better with the more power you add...the same CAN NOT be said for the FAST. True independant testing shows on average of 12-15rwhp and some of
its gains a largely peak only, and they gain little or non on FI setups and can leak under boost or even split...how is this a quality part??? No way...and its nuts to watch people act like lambs, when 1 jumps off a cliff the others follow. Thats how FAST customers seem to remind me of...Someone will post a rediculous high dyno number and people without a moments thought whip out the credit card and buy away...but the thing is they show gains that the intake all by itself should make. But to get the 20rwhp that FAST claims you need to spend atleast $200.00 or more. Thats 1k for maybe 20rwhp??? Thats just out of hand. FAST themselves dont give you an idea what times you get at the track...So we have to spend a few hundered to have the intake port matched or whatever? Come on guys think what you can buy that cost the same or less that proves everytime that you will gain more. FAST will not admitt that the LS6 intake is pretty damn well designed. Plenty of cars running 10's with LS6 intakes, get the list, not too many FAST intakes in that list. I asked many times what guys gained on the track either in E.T. or MPH and got little to know answers....except 1 guy that said he gained 6 tenth, but further admitted other factors were involed that could have given him the gains not the intake. I think for 90% of us LS1 users will never need anything other than the stock LS6 intake. It's likely a cam will run out of rpm way before the intake becomes a major issue..i've seen LS6 intakes pull hard on bigger cube motors past 7,000 rpm. But i'm gonna keep in touch SLP and see what their future plans are. In this crazy economy every dollar counts, and the FAST setup is by far money well spend. And if the Weiand makes the power gains as claimed thats awesome and its unported making still a bigger investment, GM LS intakes do more than most of us will ever need....just holding a FAST in-hand it feels alittle cheap, not a solid piece like a stocker, and i hope the Weiand works out...It's made of good materials, a well planned out open plenum and aggressive style and slightly longer runners which help to promote more torque without losing any hp in the process. And its major gains are straight in the area where it will be best used. And all the **** talking from all the FAST lovers shows they are getting sweating palms and wishing the Street Warrior doesn;t either hit the streets for that it doesn't perform even close to what it's advertized...LOL. But no matter what you say about the Street Warrior atleat they spend the extra $.10 and built in a place so we can mount our MAP sensor...haha. And no seals to ever leak under boost and if it shows a gain with boost than the FAST should taken out back and shot..lol. Or take off the top piece and use it as a cat liter pan or turn the whole thing into a big bird feeder...lol. Let me get back on track....if anyone wants the SLP system just PM me with your info. so i can inform New Era and SLP. Take care all. Sorry to all about going off on the FAST intake,
it's almost like the Obama and McCain debate...ask Obama's people a question and his croonies get super defensive....similar to FAST owners..lol.

Nice book bro but your not Stephen King yet.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transgression

DAMN that sounds great for being a stock motor...that video probably was shot
after GMHighTech reported the install of that new catback and SLP's new headers. Man i'm impressed, not too loud, and definately not too quiet..lol.
Nice job guys for the links.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWONGTO
Nice book bro but your not Stephen King yet.
Haha yeah thats true...but i can get wordy..lol.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transgression

Thanks for that sound bit...i just went back and listened again, man i'm loving
the agressive sound. I can imagine what it would sound like with heads&cam
It probably will have that " get the hell out of the way " sound to it..me like.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

yep no prob bro....i want it too when i get my next LS1 car. but with longtubes,ory that cat-back and pred-Z's "the Bull" cam i think its gonna be TOO LOUD for a Daily! lol so magnaflow and cutout might be the way to go for me.....i donno thou...i gotta hear it in person it does sounds like ****** **** thou!
Old 11-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Well fella's, I got my powerflo on, and all I can say is damn. This thing is deep sounding, kinda like true duels. I switched the lm2 out for a lm1 resonator, and I like the sound alot, not loud as heck like some of the other cb's I've had, it just don't sound anything like I've ever heard on an ls1. anyway for the rest of the exhaust, I have Lt's, and ory. I will get up with silverbeast this weekend and try to do our 1st video. stay tuned. later Brian

Last edited by blownws6_nc; 11-19-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

sweet! i gotta hear this beast! subscribing.....
Old 11-19-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Still waiting on clips
Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

subscribing
Old 11-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Launching!

It will be saturday before we get a video. but all I got to say is I love it.
I can't wait to get my cam in this thing, It is a tad louder than a magnaflow @ idle but w.o.t it gets woke up, but not like my borla, (loud). I will keep you guys informed if we get a video sooner. Brian
Old 11-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Launching!

Can't wait to hear it.

Quick Reply: SLP Powerflo Catback