Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got to vent! POS PARTS!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Got to vent! POS PARTS!

Toward the begining of summer I got some ARE valve covers and taylor wires they have both been a none stop ******* head ach.

The taylor wires just keep falling apart ripping the f-en boots every time I have to take the engine apart finaly I thought I got those fixed.

The ARE valve covers have been the same way. First time I put them on they leak like a SOB. There so dam big you can't reach the dam plug wire. Had to take my engine back apart couple of weeks ago to swap some valves out and they havent stop leaking since they were pouring oil all over my headers making my car smoke like crazy and use a quart of oil every week 250 miles. After stoping traffic yesterday from all the smoke I try to fix them and start pulling the wires off and pull some boots and the terminals stay on the plugs. So now I have find a new set of wire that wont fall apart every time I touch the dam things.

If any one wants some huge leaky valve covers I am going to sell them in a couple of weeks after I put my stock ones back on they might look like **** but at least they dont leak.

ARE valve cover = POS
Taylor wire = POS

AND thats my 2 ******* cents
Old 09-17-2003, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Got to vent! POS PARTS!

Damn dude I feel sorry for you, honest. Do you still have your stock wires?
Old 09-17-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Still got them but the coils are relocated on top of the intake and had to modify the stock brackets to do it now they wont bolt to the valve covers. So i'm screwed for now unless I can fix the wire, I need to bring it to work.
Old 09-17-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you called ARE about the valve covers?
Old 09-17-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I havent talk to them, before I bought them they told me they have not had problems with them leaking. I have gotten them to seal twice were they wouldnt leak but you have to keep fighting with it until you get it perfect. You can put them on off centered to the point were the gaskets hang an 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch of the heads. There not like the stock ones were you tighten them down and they center them selfs.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Those are the biggest peice of **** covers i have ever seen. After the head swap when he was filling it with oil i was under the car doing some final touch up work and i got coverd in oil. The oil ran right out the covers in the back like they wernt even on. And those stupid taylor wires are just retarted. Gravity alone seems to pull the things apart.
Smokey the bandit there comes into work now with a huge cloud of smoke following behind him.
Old 09-18-2003, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Took some tools home from work fixed the wire and got her back together. So far it hasent leaked. I think I found the problem the back corner of it the gasket is just off a little bit and if torque them down it pops the gasket off the head and leaks so I just snug them down and I'm hoping it will not leak.
Old 09-18-2003, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

I hear ya, I just reinstalled my stock wires, and the Taylor's came apart as you said. Also, I was getting a shitload of misfires that's been solved by dumping the Taylor wires.

I painted my stock valve covers black, and they look great. Easy to do too.

New plug wires, and painting your valve covers, will make you feel much better .
Old 09-18-2003, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Still got them but the coils are relocated on top of the intake and had to modify the stock brackets to do it now they wont bolt to the valve covers. So i'm screwed for now unless I can fix the wire, I need to bring it to work.
I can make you a custom set of PPC Spiral-Core wires, if you'd like. I would just need the measurements.I also have high temp sleeves for the wires available.

email me if you'd like!

Thanks,
Gordon
www.provenperformanceconcepts.com