Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Starter Mount on Block!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Starter Mount on Block!!!

While the starter was being removed for a header install, a piece of the block broke off where the bolt mounts for the starter. There is only one bolt holding the starter on now. I have heard that this "sleeve" breaks when an engine is hydrolocked, which makes sense because this car was. So, I guess have been driving around for almost 10k miles with a crack in the sleeve holding the one starter bolt and when they took it off it broke completely. What are my options, how serious is this? The place said they can use a special glue to put the piece back on, but recommend we get it tigged in the future.

--EDIT--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I think it was jb welded or some type of "super glued" today and it is curing over night. Hopefully it will hold for awhile until the heads/cam go in and the motor is pulled so it can be properly tigged. The mount was most likely cracked before and it held so I'm not super concerned. I'm actually happy we found it now and not later down the rode when it broke and stranded my *** somewhere. Good news though....HEADERS ARE ONE!!!!

Last edited by SickkSS01; 11-11-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SickkSS01
While the starter was being removed for a header install, a piece of the block broke off where the bolt mounts for the starter. There is only one bolt holding the starter on now. I have heard that this "sleeve" breaks when an engine is hydrolocked, which makes sense because this car was. So, I guess have been driving around for almost 10k miles with a crack in the sleeve holding the one starter bolt and when they took it off it broke completely. What are my options, how serious is this? The place said they can use a special glue to put the piece back on, but recommend we get it tigged in the future.
I had a near miss as far as hydro-locking the motor , the starter did kick back during cranking however it only broke off the ear of my starter(short bolt side). Sorry too hear of your misfortune, I hope you can get it fixed properly without any issues.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS1875
I had a near miss as far as hydro-locking the motor , the starter did kick back during cranking however it only broke off the ear of my starter(short bolt side). Sorry too hear of your misfortune, I hope you can get it fixed properly without any issues.
How did you get it fixed?
Old 11-10-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

How did you get it fixed?
Bought a new starter..and bolted it right in. I didn't want to run the risk of trying to fix it and then have it fail again.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS1875
Bought a new starter..and bolted it right in. I didn't want to run the risk of trying to fix it and then have it fail again.
Oh your starter broke, not that actual mounting point on the block.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Oh your starter broke, not that actual mounting point on the block.
Correct the starter ear broke off, sorry for any confusion.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

This is the tab I'm talking about, not my car btw.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can get it welded...get the job done then take it to a good welder hell fix u up n no time, dont freak out
Old 11-10-2008, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ttranssam
you can get it welded...get the job done then take it to a good welder hell fix u up n no time, dont freak out
Thanks. I am freaking out a little. I hope the glue (I imagine JB weld) will hold until the cam is put in.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea its fixable, id be careful with jb weld tho, i would not trust it. me and a buddy had a 200r4 bellhousing crack really bad (we were happy thinking LOTS of power) and when i took it to get it welded the guy wire wheeled it to discover it had lots o jb weld...(the trans was black)
Old 11-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

EDITED ORIGINAL POST

ttt

Quick Reply: Broken Starter Mount on Block!!!