Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

installation of 160 degree thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default installation of 160 degree thermostat

hey guys i just ordered the 160 degree thermostat this weeknend, any tips for the install? anything i need to know or is it just those 3 or 4 bolts pop off the old one and pop in the new one with the new gasket? let me know
thanks alot
Old 09-23-2003, 09:42 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: installation of 160 degree thermostat

Not a whole lot to it. Drain the radiator take off the clamp that holds the radiator hose on the Thermo. Place a bucket under the thermostat to catch all the excess fluid. The hardest thing is the black plug that acts as a wire loom and its not even that hard. I used on the new gasket some blue RTV to hold that gasket in the slot on the thermostat where its supposed to be. Just a little help. Then just put it back like it was.
Old 09-24-2003, 03:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The fans need too come on sooner to see any benefit from a cooler stat. I should have added this link,

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ostat_swap.htm

Al
Old 09-24-2003, 05:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

i got the fan switch too, why do u have to drain the radiator, i thought u could just take off the hose, hold it up so nothing comes out or plug it for a second while i install the thermostat, well draining the radiator really isnt a biggie, just one plug in the bottom right?
Old 09-24-2003, 06:52 AM
Doc
FormerVendor

Well draining the radiator is not really a biggie if you understand that when you crack open the system you are going to let air into it. The big deal is to ensure that you get all of the air out of it when you refill it. The Install University site has an excellent article on this-pay close attetion to their write up on filling it and you will be fine. Fill it slowly, you will hear the air coming out of the block to TB (disconnected fitting). If you are patient and go slow just until you see the first bit of coolant comes out hear you won't have to refill or top off as many times trying to get the air out.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

i know its not a big deal to drain the radiator but would it be okay if i just pulled off the line, let all the coolant come out of the engine from the thermostat, capped of the line until im done installing the thermostat and then slowly refilled the lost coolant?
Old 09-24-2003, 12:48 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

When you see it for yourself come gushing out you'll know what we are talking about. One more thought, Distilled Water. Not expesnive, less chance of impurities leading to corrosion later on.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Launching!

what if u have the tb coolant mod
Old 02-10-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I never drain the radiator and I swap twice a year. 160* in summer and 185* in winter....
Old 02-10-2010, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
The fans need too come on sooner to see any benefit from a cooler stat.

WRONG...well...partially wrong.

any time the car is moving and passing air over the radiator you will benefit from the stat regardless of what your fan settings are.

only time the fan settings come into play is when the car is sitting still in traffic or staging lanes. and usually a fan switch is cheaper than a tune.

i ran a lower stat for 6 yrs with stock fan settings and could see the cooler engine temps any time i was driving. it even took a minute or 2 of stopping for the temps to climp up to where the stock stat would have started.

fan setting changes to see any benefit is a big misconception
Old 02-10-2010, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
A fan setting change is needed to lower temps for city driving.
I had heard somewhere that around 25 mph the forced airflow over the radiator is more than a fan will pull...varies a bit with each fans cfm. Can anyone confirm that mph???
Old 02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BlackBirdRyder02
what if u have the tb coolant mod

Unplug to hose connected to crossover tube under your tb. Thats the one you bypassed the tb with.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM
TECH Junkie

my guess is it fluctuates depending on ambient air temp.

i mean 25mph when the air on the road is 120deg or when its 20 deg??
Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by teke184
WRONG...well...partially wrong.

any time the car is moving and passing air over the radiator you will benefit from the stat regardless of what your fan settings are.

only time the fan settings come into play is when the car is sitting still in traffic or staging lanes. and usually a fan switch is cheaper than a tune.

i ran a lower stat for 6 yrs with stock fan settings and could see the cooler engine temps any time i was driving. it even took a minute or 2 of stopping for the temps to climp up to where the stock stat would have started.

fan setting changes to see any benefit is a big misconception

I couldn't agree more with this post

I actually want my temps to get up there to vaporize the water and acids out of my oil that are a byproduct of combustion. That is why I switch to a 185* in the winter......to make sure it runs hot enough. I installed a big Howe Racing radiator and switched to a 160*stat in the summer because I was seeing 230* temps in our hota$$ summers driving around town with the A/C on.....

Quick Reply: installation of 160 degree thermostat