Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow muffler placed in Loudmouth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnaflow muffler placed in Loudmouth?

Looking for the cheapest route to quiet the LM1. A 4x9 muffler will not fit in place of the resonator. I almost ordered the new SLP Powerflo retro kit that fits the LM catback, but it's $300. Has anybody taken the Magnaflow they use in their catback and had a muffler shop use the existing after the axle LM pipes? Looks like you would just add a single 3" over the axle pipe to the resonator and figure out where to cut in the tailpipes. Main thing is figuring out the part number of the correct muffler.

Anybody got a rear underside pic of the magnaflow catback on a Trans Am?

I guess the other option is to remove the LM and sale it to offset the cost of a Magnaflow catback.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry bro, best pic i got...

I had the LM1... It was too loud and nasty sounding after my H/C intstall with LT's and ORY... Basically we just cut the LM1 system off after the axle so that I still had the LM resonator in the I-Pipe... we then got a magnaflow muffler, then the muffler shop just fabricated the rest... easy job really... sounds great now... A little quiet for my taste but the sound quality is nice...
Old 12-17-2008, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks...do you know what part# you ordered for the muffler? Was it 3" in and two 2.5" coming out? What kind of tips are those, that's what I want? Where did you buy them?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

http://www.okgmp.com/Community/showthread.php?t=11287
Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steve65
Thanks...do you know what part# you ordered for the muffler? Was it 3" in and two 2.5" coming out? What kind of tips are those, that's what I want? Where did you buy them?
no sorry I don't know what part number... contact Ryne @ CMS. He is the one who had the system made... he also carries the tips. Let him know wes sent ya and you are interested in my setup. He's a sponsor on here and his username is "RyneZ06"
Old 12-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Dustin98SS, that's not what I'm talking about...I wish it was that easy, but the searches I've done say that any bullet style muffler in place of the resonator will not be much quieter. It seems the only way to go is with a large style muffler. My wife is driving the car most of the time and hates the noise.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by steve65
Dustin98SS, that's not what I'm talking about...I wish it was that easy, but the searches I've done say that any bullet style muffler in place of the resonator will not be much quieter. It seems the only way to go is with a large style muffler. My wife is driving the car most of the time and hates the noise.
yea steve I can guarantee you that the magnaflow like i have WILL ABSOLUTELY quiet it down from just the regular loudmouth...

I have an idle video in my sig... keep in mind my mods... and I don't have any cats... so if your wife's car is somewhat stock then it would be much quieter...
Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Well I see you have longtubes so dont go with a bullet style muffler. It will sound terrible. That is my old setup for sale by the guy that built my true duals. I think magnaflow makes a round chambered muffler that might work. Check their site out.

Another alternative is to put true duals on the car and buy your wife a Corolla
Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm thinking about doing this. Did it cut down the rasp? I have the borlamouth right now and like it a lot but want to have a deeper sound.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I'm thinking about doing this. Did it cut down the rasp? I have the borlamouth right now and like it a lot but want to have a deeper sound.
NO RASP AT ALL!! As a matter of fact, the ONLY complaint I have is I wish it was a bit louder... Other than that, the tone, sound, quality, are all there... It's got the old muscle sound to it...
Old 12-18-2008, 12:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we use magnaflow part # 12267. what we did in soul tkr's case is we cut the tailpipe section off the loudmouth catback and pretty much fabbed everything else from there with mandrel bends
Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Update...went with the Magnaflow #12267 from Jegs and the Corsa clone tips from http://www.chromeandperformance.com/corsatips.html

We cut it over the axle where it splits into two pipes and fabbed 3" into it and the 2.5" tailpipes. Absolutely quiet compared to what it was. I'm very happy with the deep tone and it sounds perfect when you wind it up. Before, just a modest run from a redlight would attract too much attention...now I find myself not even thinking about it. I also had him weld in a bung for my wideband.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow muffler placed in Loudmouth?