Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" or 3" true duals

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2.5" or 3" true duals

Hey guys, i have a 2002 SS camaro and I ordered Pacesetter LT's for it, and looking for what a good sounding exhaust setup would be for it. My future plans for this car wont be anything crazy yet, just my headers, lid, intake, and prolly a big cam later on down the road. and keep in mind that i want to drop my car on g2 springs so about 1.75".

I want the car pretty damm loud but its still going to be my DD. I want to run 12" bullets probably dynomax ones.

So my options would be 2.5 inch true duals exiting out the rear or a 3" true dual all the way back ( i hear some people say that they have clearance issues with 3" true duals on a lower car and some say its completely fine, i dont really mind if i have to go slow on speedbumps and **** im used to that i drive a 3" lowered maxima now lol.

I'm going to have the guy at muffler shop custom make them for me so he can probably tuck it up pretty good.

My other big question is what to do for crossover pipes, i was just going to run them straight off the headers all the way back, but i hear you lose alot of horsepower with no cross over pipe. So my question is, go for an X pipe or an H pipe, i hear the power is almost the same technically the x gives you a tiny bit more horsepower but the H sounds better, and i want a really mean sounding exhaust system.

also what would be the differences in 3" and 2.5" true duals in sound and perfromance differences. I want the car loud and deep, but like an in your earr loud not to deep dont know if you guys would call that raspy or what I cant really explain it. but anyways what you guys think I should do? thanks for the input
Old 12-20-2008, 06:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should be fine with 2.5... 3" isn't really needed, but if your there, have the money for it, and the skills necessary for a proper install, then go for it
Old 12-20-2008, 07:00 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

2.5 is more than enough, I would do the X-pipe from an install/fabrication point an x is much easier than an h on an f-body
Old 12-20-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

2.5" for sure
Old 12-21-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

2.5 would be fine unless you are making 500 or more hp. 2.5" setups can easily be tucked up to where the exhaust will not the be lowest part of the car if you have a good exhaust shop. I made my own TD exhaust using some 2.5" piping and some 18" Sweet thunder mufflers. It tucks up to where the collectors are lower than the entire rest of the exhaust.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Teching In

I had fabricated 3" duals with an x pipe for my old '95, and I have to say I would never do it again. It sounded amazing but the work that went into it to make it fit, and I still had issues. I just don't think it is worth it even though I had a pretty built 383 and it really needed 3" it made the car less fun to drive. I have made a 2.5" with an H on my buddy's car (2000 Z) and it was not nearly as bad to fabricate, and it did not really hit anything.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Launching!

sounds like 2.5 dumdumdum, i seen some under the axle setups they look pretty clean and alot easier and cheaper to make less mandrel bends to pay for, will this work on a car lowered like 1.75"?
Old 12-21-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the 2.5 and let sick rick do it, unless jamie really does just as good. 2.5 with an X pipe and bullets sounds good knee ga row.