Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new Edelbrock manifold ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any word on a release date for this?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Any large open plenum feeding equal length runners will have better distribution than using a carb intake, with unequal runners, and a very sharp elbow on top.
Not true
Old 01-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I'm Mike Hutto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was a myth that the stock manifold caused the lean failures of piston no 7.

Despite that the same problem occured when someone tested the stock manifold in a reversed position.

If air was blasted totally vertically into a carb intake, then perhaps it might be even.

with an elbow...I'd be less than convinced its even at all given the turns it has to make to get into the manifold.

A large open plenum, feeding nice straight runners has to be good on any boosted application. And probably n/a in terms of airflow...altho throttle response might suffer due to the large volume of air behind the throttle plate.
Its a cooling crossover issue causing #7 to go lean...We took temps before and after our cooling system revamp mod to the crossovers and the temps were much closer together on the engine dyno then with the stock crossover and block offs.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rapin'Ya
Its a cooling crossover issue causing #7 to go lean...We took temps before and after our cooling system revamp mod to the crossovers and the temps were much closer together on the engine dyno then with the stock crossover and block offs.
What revamp did you do to the crossover... I am very curious.... I changed my entire intake setup do to this myth....
Old 01-19-2009, 11:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,740 Likes on 1,299 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapin'Ya
bump for more info
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Launching!

Yes curious as well, Also is the #7 cyl. problem the same on iron motors as well? I don't recall as amny problems with the iron motors!
Old 01-19-2009, 12:21 PM

They are referring to the old X pattern that was used in the 98-00 cars. The 01-02's with the LS6 manifolds only had a cross over from the front of the 2 heads and the rear ones are blocked off.

Back on the original subject... I think I'm gonna pre-order that new manifold from summit. It shows a ship date of 2/2 if ordered today. I am planning on taking my LS6 manifold off tonight and gonna take some measurements to see what will need to be done to get it to fit. I don't mind cutting the cowl. As long as I don't have to cut into the wiper arm i don't care. It looks like I shouldn't tho since the base of the arm is offset towards the driver's side a little bit. Also the width of the top part of the manifold only looks to be the same as the TB, so it shouldn't be too wide of a cut.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by otherwhitemeat
Not true

So why are most OEM intakes designed that way, and nearly all sheetmetal style intakes ? And of course the LS1/7/2/7 etc intakes ?

In fact....I cant think of too many OEM EFI intakes that arent designed that way, from any manufacturer.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

lets hope it works out for us with some modding
Old 01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

So why are most OEM intakes designed that way, and nearly all sheetmetal style intakes ? And of course the LS1/7/2/7 etc intakes ?

In fact....I cant think of too many OEM EFI intakes that arent designed that way, from any manufacturer.
Go to the Hogan manifolds web site...look at all the different intakes. You will see that they make the entry points and the backs of the entry points taper off to more equalize the flow whereever possible...If your runners are all the same length but your entry point from one runner to the last runner is 12in away...then its like having short and long runners....Oem does what they do for cost, not just performance...but a lot of import intakes look like equal length headers....cause thats how they should be..

Its like saying an equal length log header.... is better then a normal equal length header....

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 01-19-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:36 PM
8 Second Club

All of you guys that think a centrail plenum( carb style) are not any good you should send Tony Christan , Pat musi , Tim Lynch ,Steave Petty ,Derick and Dennis Baily, Billy Glidden and almost every outlaw car builder , That they would finly have a engine with equal air flow if they would go to this type of intake I think this intake will work but most oem are this way is for hood clearance not performance
Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pmbmax
All of you guys that think a centrail plenum( carb style) are not any good you should send Tony Christan , Pat musi , Tim Lynch ,Steave Petty ,Derick and Dennis Baily, Billy Glidden and almost every outlaw car builder , That they would finly have a engine with equal air flow if they would go to this type of intake I think this intake will work but most oem are this way is for hood clearance not performance
/\ Exactly
Old 01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

L92 availability? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????
Looks like it would be a breeze to slice open and weld back together to make the plenum bigger too.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

As far as i can tell, i may be missing it but summit doesnt show thi manifold for ls based engines yet. And when i spoke to a rep from Edelbrock its still in r&d and to give him a call in late february
Old 01-22-2009, 08:57 AM

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 01-22-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
This intake will def be better that a carb style intake,but will require some work to make it distribute air better.I'm going to get my hands on one and mod it to fit the f body as well as some internal mods.If it works out well i sell them fully modded
What about fitting a corvette?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by pmbmax
I can tell you that Petty is having a sheetmetal intake made for their new motor due to the lack of even air distribution in the carb intake with an elbow.
I think they were 30-35% difference in fueling from the frt to the back of the engine to compensate.
None of these intakes have even distribution in a f/i application out of the box,but it is much easier to mod a sheetmetal style intake for better dist.
I've spent countless hours on the flowbench and dyno to get better dist in my own stuff.Right now i'm working with John Marcella of Marcella Manifolds to get even better dist out of the intake for Phil's lsx as well as my new 670bbc.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:01 PM
11 Second Club

Interesting . thanx im glad i was proven wrong.. thanx
Old 01-28-2009, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Anyone acually have this thing orderd?
Old 01-28-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

i have one on order... no idea when to expect it though