Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corsa rasp elimination idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 07:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsa rasp elimination idea

I have a corsa catback, with lts and ory. As many of you know, this is probably one of the raspiest exhaust setups on our cars, and having a cam only makes it worse. Im so tired of it, it is embarrasing and obnoxious and i want to get rid of it. Theres no reason a 1300$ exhaust setup should sound like a farm truck. Before I start, let it be known that I am not going to install a catted y-pipe. I know this will eliminate the rasp, however, i dont want cats. I have done several searches and seen where putting a bullet in the I will help, just not very much. But does anyone have a chambered powerstick in thier i-pipe? i plan on putting one in, with an electric cutout right after the powerstick. im just trying to get some opinions before I do this. What do yall think about this?
Old 01-04-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have GMMG, and i was going to put a PowerPack in my I pipe to get rid of the rasp too.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Staging Lane

Really? I was under the impression that GMMG wasnt a raspy system.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i used an slp lm2 in the i pipe and it helped a lot but i still ended up taking it off for a dual dual muffler.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Yah, the only thing that keeps me from ditching the corsa system is that I love the way it sounds outside of the rasp range. I just wanna clean up the sound and get rid of the rasp.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99ls1bowtie
Yah, the only thing that keeps me from ditching the corsa system is that I love the way it sounds outside of the rasp range. I just wanna clean up the sound and get rid of the rasp.
i was in love with the corsa...until the long tubes went on. then i battled the rasp for a year before i gave up.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

You either add cats or learn to live with rasp.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a borla xr1 muffler installed in my ipipe and it made my corsa sound much better even with the ORY and longtubes. Took 95% of the rasp away and deepened the exhaust note at the same time.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

In my experience adding a flowmaster merge to the Y pipe gets rid of the rasp.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
No it doesn't.

I have a LTs, Custom 3" O/R Y with flowmaster merge and GMMG c/b and i have reasp like whoa

Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by vader99
I had a borla xr1 muffler installed in my ipipe and it made my corsa sound much better even with the ORY and longtubes. Took 95% of the rasp away and deepened the exhaust note at the same time.
I am debating between a Borla XR-1 or a PowerPack
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
I had a flowmaster merge collector in my QTP offroad ypipe along with corsa and qtp longtubes and the rasp was still there. The borla xr1 completely changed the sound of the exhaust. Rasp was nearly completely eliminated and the sound was deeper. The only problem was that the xr1 didn't fit very well in the ipipe. I massaged the xr1 and it wasn't bad but my ground clearance was less. I finally got pissed off at the corsa noise situation and I ripped out the corsa and xr1 and I put in an slp dual/dual muffler (kept the corsa premium tips of course) with a DMH electric cutout in the ipipe and the car is much more pleasurable in all rpm's and is, I think, the perfect exhaust.

Last edited by vader99; 01-05-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

I had a flowmaster merge collector in my QTP offroad ypipe along with corsa and qtp longtubes and the rasp was still there. The borla xr1 completely changed the sound of the exhaust. Rasp was nearly completely eliminated and the sound was deeper. The only problem was that the xr1 didn't fit very well in the ipipe. I massaged the xr1 and it wasn't bad but my ground clearance was less. I finally got pissed off at the corsa noise situation and I ripped out the corsa and xr1 and I put in an slp dual/dual muffler (kept the corsa premium tips of course) with a DMH electric cutout in the ipipe and the car is much more pleasurable in all rpm's and is, I think, the perfect exhaust.

Did you use the round or oval?? length?? and is/was your car lowered at the time?? Sorry for all the ???'s, just thinking of the XR1 for my Borla CB fix.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

You still have your Borla XR-1 muffler lying around?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the round xr1. I think it was borla # 40085. 15" long and 5 inches in diameter. My car was stock height as well. It worked awesome, sound-wise, but there is just not much room under there.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

I used the round xr1. I think it was borla # 40085. 15" long and 5 inches in diameter. My car was stock height as well. It worked awesome, sound-wise, but there is just not much room under there.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
You still have your Borla XR-1 muffler lying around?
I do, but it isn't round anymore. I flattened the bottom part of it in an attempt to gain ground clearance and I also flattened it a little where it was contacting the rear floorboard area.
The sound didn't change at all with my "massaging," but it did help out with clearances.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I do, but it isn't round anymore. I flattened the bottom part of it in an attempt to gain ground clearance and I also flattened it a little where it was contacting the rear floorboard area.
The sound didn't change at all with my "massaging," but it did help out with clearances.
You looking to sell it. I am curious
Old 01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
You looking to sell it. I am curious
I might be. I never thought anyone would want to buy a "massaged" muffler. LOL
Old 01-06-2009, 07:49 AM
9 Second Club

thats almost my exact setup except i built a custom y pipe. i had to keep my premium tips

Quick Reply: Corsa rasp elimination idea