Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lt1 radiator a direct drop in?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 06:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default lt1 radiator a direct drop in?

and if so any one in particular i should be getting? my slp hd radiator got a hole knocked in it and my stocker has a slow drip out of the top nipple so time to fix the situation.....the stocker doesnt cool nearly as well as the slp hd one did as the core was twice as thick.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Yes - they drop right in. I got a new one from a radiator warehouse for $125 compared to what SLP was selling for much more. An slp radiator is nothing more than the same radiator you can buy anywhere except for the fact it was sold to you by SLP.

Tip: When you have the radiator out - don't forget to clean the AC condensor core - especially the bottom - most are blocked off with sand and dirt up from botton of the condensor 5-6 inches cutting the effectiveness of the condensor by at least 25 percent.

If you have an A4 - you can bypass the radiator completely by running the transmission oil lines directly through an external cooler. If you do that, then get the standard shift radiator instead of the automatic version. The standard version capacity is increased as a result of not having the cooling section for the automatic transmission built into the radiator.

Last edited by dlandsvZ28; 01-07-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats the advantage of having and LT1 radiator? Does it flow more for better cooling
Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is bigger with more capacity. I recall posts that said about 25-30 percent.

Standing both next to each other the LT1 version is thicker (about an 1/8 to 1/4 inch).

Add the increased capacity along with bypassing the transmission lines (if you have an A4 or the standard transmission that doesn't have the section for cooling the trans oil lines) and you have LTL1 radiator that is much more efficient than the LS1 version.

I read that the reason the LT1 version had added capacity was because the LT1 block was iron compared to the LS1 which is aluminum.

Note: There are naysayers that say the stock radiator is fine - probably because they don't drive it areas like Kansas, Okl, Texas, and Mexico etc where summer temps are high 90' and even over 100 degrees.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM
9 Second Club

hmm the hd one i have is 1.25" core.....where the heck am i going to find that one at.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I live in Wichita Kansas and got mine from a national distributor - SPI Distribution (Medford Mass - 800-638-7140.

I got a new radiator (for an automatic part no CU1486 -1997 Chevrolet Camaro Z28) and paid $125. The part number for a standard transmission will probably be different as it won't have provisions for the automatic transmission lines.

I had previously ordered one from SLP thru Thunder Racing and the price was $299. When I got it the filler neck was broken - so returned it - but unable to get another because SLP doesn't sell them anymore (Thunder had one in stock - but it was damaged). So got one from the local (SPI) radiator distributor and picked it up the same day.

Side by side comparison show that the 97 version is thicker and it did cool better compared to the 98 version. I replaced the 97 version with a BeCool (due to ATI charger overheating) so I have a practically new used 97 auto version with less than 500 miles on it.

hth
Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
9 Second Club

ok i just found one. 1.25 core. company called performance radiator sells them. uses the same part number for lt1 or ls1 applications and it is set up for the automatic tranny. would i be better with the larger core or use the 1" core and manual tranny capacity? im trying to keep the 416 ci motor cool and with the stocker back in i have noticed it runs atleast 10 degrees warmer.
Old 01-11-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's a pic of the differences. If the dist is selling two radiators which are different with the same part number then I would go elsewhere and find a dist that sells the 97 version.

The difference in size is obvious btween the two - so go with the 97 version that has more capacity (see pics in link below). I would get a standard transmission version since you are buying new.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...ator-pics.html

hth

Quick Reply: lt1 radiator a direct drop in?