Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

define "sealed lid" and pressurization for Under car ram air please

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the diy SUX2BU style, and it works great. 2tenths 2mph with just a lid,freemods,tune. running hi 12's
Old 01-10-2009, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
Sorry bud you are wrong and here is the proof, should make argue with torchd, he has read my thread, haha...jk

check this out

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ome-tests.html

might find this one interesting too i was pretty close with my 20rwhp guess in the first thread

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...sults-tom.html
Ive read those.. You placed the pressure reader inside the lid after the filter.. that read the pressure inside the lid obviously. My argument is there is NO "pressure" under the filter from air coming in, in other words by leaving it unsealed from ex. the front ram air opening you will still have air coming in "pressurizing" the lid, not underneath the filter. It would be an interesting experiment to monitor pressure changes IN THE LID when the front part of the lid base is left open for the hoods ram air to come in at the same time as a ftra setup, compared to blocking it off and only using the scoop underneath.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by redfbird99
Ive read those.. You placed the pressure reader inside the lid after the filter.. that read the pressure inside the lid obviously. My argument is there is NO "pressure" under the filter from air coming in, in other words by leaving it unsealed from ex. the front ram air opening you will still have air coming in "pressurizing" the lid, not underneath the filter. It would be an interesting experiment to monitor pressure changes IN THE LID when the front part of the lid base is left open for the hoods ram air to come in at the same time as a ftra setup, compared to blocking it off and only using the scoop underneath.
i still dont think you grasp the concept...ram air is like any other form of a pressurized system, it is only as strong as its weakest link...

the air that would be pressurized coming from the bottom will escape through the front slit...the front slit does not provide any ram air (pressurized over breathing through the bottom)...having the front slit open does nothing but let air escape...

ask yourself this question you have a tank that is connected to two pipes, one has a pressure of 10 psi, the other has a pressure of 2psi, how much pressure is inside the tank...

hint the answer is not 12psi...the added small pressure from the front ram air does not add to the pressure of the whole system...the answer is 2psi

how can you say there is not pressure before the filter when i just showed there is pressure after the filter...so that means even with the pressure loss of the filter there was still a positive gain...with no filter at all the pressure would be even higher...

the answer to your experiment would probably be about 80% less pressure that the lid could see with both the ftra and front slit open vs just having the air coming in through the bottom with the FTRA...
Old 01-12-2009, 12:25 AM
FormerVendor

The FTRA comes with everything you need to install the kit and seal up the intake box.

However, our instructions explain that after you install the kit, you should use an air source (leaf blower, air compressor etc) to send some air up into the duct work and then allow you to fell around the air box for leaks. If you find any leaks, you will need to adjust the seals. In some cases, your air lid will not seal properly to the filter (this has nothing to do with the FTRA). If you find that problem, you will need to address that problem with some foam weather stripping. K&N filters frequently have this problem which is why they come with a gasket when you buy them new.

WS6 cars are the only exception as they have an airbox opening which is 1/2" taller than all other LS1 and V6 fbodies. Because of that, the front seal we supply with our kit iw 1/2" too short and must be supplemented for a proper seal. For all other models, the front rubber seal we supply in the kit is all you need.

Lastly, as already explained, the FTRA will only be able to build pressure when the front of the air box is sealed off. Air takes the path of least resistance. If you open the front of the air box, any pressure you create will just be bled off.

If you have any other questions, give us a call. We have the kits in stock!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

When you say front of the airbox, can you give a better idea of which portion you're talking about? The lower portion, or the front top of the lid? Thanks!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lopoetve
When you say front of the airbox, can you give a better idea of which portion you're talking about? The lower portion, or the front top of the lid? Thanks!
This is a pic of my engine bay. You can see how i have the front sealed off. Also under the lid, it is sealed off as well. What you can not see is that the radiator support where it sits on top of the FTRA, that is sealed off too