Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker Catback

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker Catback

Hey guys, I have searched the threads a little and just thought I'd ask a few final questions before I order my catback. I'm looking at the Hooker catback. not really too into magnaflow. I like the sound but the tips I don't like... at least on a T/A and I don't want to fork over the extra for the dual tips.

1. How much louder than stock is the hooker on stock manifolds, cats all that?
2. I do plan on LTs and an ORY fairly soon, will it wake the sound up a bunch?

I originally wanted to get a GMMG, love the sound, but not so much with the headers. I want the car to be noticably loud. I like the noise level on the GMMG stock, so I'd like to be somewhere in that area with a catback and the LT/ORY setup. I don't need LM1 loud that's for sure. So with that in mind, any other suggestions if you don't feel the Hooker will be what I want

Thank you in advance for your help everyone, Justin
Old 01-21-2009, 02:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the hooker. It will be louder than stock and will sound great with LT's and a ORY when your ready. I love my hooker one of the best flowing and great price.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a comparison of the Hooker versus the stock exhaust on a compeltely factory stock 2002 Camaro SS. Not much of a difference, although some say it "breaks in" and I would thinks so. As it sounds much better now after a lot of miles, versus when the video was shot as it was just installed.

With Long Tubes and no cats, it will be louder and more aggressive (although not annoying), then even more so with a cam. You will be happy with it!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Never heard a hooker on stock manifolds on person. I have LT's ORY and a hooker on my car and I think it sounds good.
Its not to loud but its not to quiet IMO. My car is a DD so I enjoy this set up a lot.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

I was looking at this cat-back too. ID take the money you were going to spend on it though and get some LTs. You never get the sound you want without LTs. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i think its gonna be tame with factory manifolds. LTs will open it up.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I drove a members z28 on here that had it w/ cam, LT's and ORY. It sounded great. I liked it better than my set-up, same as above but w/ a rumbler catback(too loud). You sould check out the summit brand exhaust tips, their SS 3 1/2" exit and only $20. I have the slant cut on my TA.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM
10 Second Club

I put the Hooker cat back on my car when I installed the LT's and ORYP along with some Corsa clone tips. Sounds nice and mellow around town and when you get on it....sounds great! My girlfriends car has a Magnaflow on it with stock manifolds and it is nice and mellow but I prefer the Hooker. The Hooker is hard to beat for the money.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:27 PM
11 Second Club

I have a hooker catback on my setup, Sometimes I wish it was a little bit louder. It's a mellow catback until you give it some throttle.

Click the idle link in my sig and you can hear it at idle with kooks LT's and ORY
Old 01-21-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Addict

hooker is a little tame on stock mani and cats, but on LT's and ORY it is just right, mellow when cruising but wakes up when smashed full throttle
Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

12secSS, to me it sounds quite a bit the same volume, but deeper. But you own it so you tell me lol is that the way it changed? Let me know lol
Old 01-21-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
I have a hooker catback on my setup, Sometimes I wish it was a little bit louder. It's a mellow catback until you give it some throttle.

Click the idle link in my sig and you can hear it at idle with kooks LT's and ORY
Hot! Sounds like Sexual beer can crush! mmmmmmmm...
Old 01-21-2009, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

On stock exhaust manifolds it is not going to be much louder and it will pretty much sound really tame. Once you do the long tubes and y pipe it will open it up alot more but I do not know how loud. The only time I have heard it on a car with headers and a y pipe was on a car that had a 402 stroker motor and it wasn't to crazy until he unleashed the beast by romping on it. I see you said you don't want the loud mouth so don't know of to many other exhausts that are going to be louder then stock other then the loud mouth. You could go with the loud mouth II, it is supposidly quiter then the loud mouth I.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bad72c10
12secSS, to me it sounds quite a bit the same volume, but deeper. But you own it so you tell me lol is that the way it changed? Let me know lol
Yeah, it rumbles a bit better then in the video. If I am inside the house, I can hear the deepness of the exhaust when my wife gets home. It is not annoying in anyway, but you think to yourself "oh, I hear a V8".
Old 01-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Yeah, it rumbles a bit better then in the video. If I am inside the house, I can hear the deepness of the exhaust when my wife gets home. It is not annoying in anyway, but you think to yourself "oh, I hear a V8".
Haha ok. Sounds good. I think it'd change mine a bit more because my T/A is not a WS6. Mine is a good bit quiter than my uncle's 02 WS6, which probably sounds real similar to what the SS did to begin with.

I see you said you don't want the loud mouth so don't know of to many other exhausts that are going to be louder then stock other then the loud mouth.
I guess I should have clarified that better. I don't want the rasp that the loudmouth will bring with headers. I didn't mean I don't want loud because loud is actually great with me. I DO NOT however want a raspy loud, like the loudmouth gets.

Last edited by bad72c10; 01-22-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Rasp usually is caused by the cats being removed. I run the hooker catback. The car doesn't sound like there is a MS4 cam in it at idle its so quiet. Along with the DMH cutout I can make the car about as loud or quiet as I want it. Don't like the Tips that came with it. I bought a pair of 304 Stainless steel rectangular tips from Fast Toys that look almost stock.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have you thought about TD's?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The Hooker is quiet ... that's the most basic fact about it. But the sound quality is excellent. I'm with you - I wouldn't consider Magnaflow because I hate the cannon tips.

I tried the Hooker on my LT set-up and what I learned is that you need cats if you don't like rasp. After trying a bunch of different combinations, I settled on my GMMG with cats, a powerpack in the I, and Hooker resonator tips. All around good sound.

If I wanted quieter - and sometimes I do - a Hooker with the LT's, cats, powerpack, and those tips would make for a great set-up.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Banned

I didn't buy the cat back because I wanted stock tips.
I never heard of it breaking in, it's all stainless steel inside with a painted aluminized case, there is not packing to blow out or settle that would change the sound over time.

I have pacesetter headers to an edelbrock ory. With the stock CB it was quiet but rasp under load/rpm.

I bought a walker 3" I pipe, over the axle pipe, seperate muffler, and pieced it together.
It's about as quiet as stock at idle and a little louder at low load cruise.
But at high throttle under load, the rasp is there but deep enough to maybe not be considered rasp? Moderate load/throttle sounds great, from in the car at least, never heard my car being driven away.

And I'm very picky about following someone with crooked tips and muffler. It took some effort but I got it all welded up nice and straight.

Heres a pic of the parts fwiw.

Last edited by 9000th01ss; 03-18-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thislswon
have you thought about TD's?
I have thought about the Texas Speed duals, but I'm not comfortable with dumping it directly under the car. I did see the Bassani duals, they look nice and look easy to replace the single muffler with a couple of good ones lol. And its about the same price as a GMMG not including a Y for the headers.