Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My catch can routing ok?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't see clearly the throttle body clean-side routing. Is it still running to the front of the pass side valve cover? If you have excess blow-by then oil mist will be forced into the TB and thus the intake no matter what oil seperating can you have......
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KW4life06
Very interesting thread. I have a few questions, if thats alright? One is, will the clean side always be the passenger side/dirty side drivers side due to rotation of engine, or is it reversable. Also, I'm running a RevXtreme catch can, and it blocks off the front port on the clean side, but then what is the rear still used for? If the front is closed off, where is it going to pull for the clean side? (ls1)
You need a hose between the throttle body and passenger valve cover for the clean side.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RCowan
When you convert an LS1 to the LS6 PCV system, why not connect the back sides of both valve covers together to get fresh air to both sides?

like this...
You could connect this way, I can't think of any reason why this would be a bad idea.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1nterceptor
I've got a question for you.

I am getting a lot of oil through the tube that connects the passenger side valve cover to the throttle body. I believe it's what you refer to as the "clean side". That's where I was planning on putting a catch can. But I noticed that someone else did that and was told that he had it in the wrong location.

In my case, that seems to be where I do need it. Why is that? Why is my clean side pumping oil into my throttle body? And yes, I did double check. There is definitely il coming in the clean side.

Is this normal? Or do I have a problem I am unaware of? The car is running well, I just don't like the mess.

Do I need a catch can on both the clean and dirty side? Or is there another solution?
What you describe is very common and the reason I recommend a dual catch can configuration. This subject is discussed in detail early in the thread along with diagrams to support this configuration.

I'm running dual cans for this reason.
The following users liked this post:
nmass399 (03-07-2021)
Old 05-02-2009, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
No problem, keep asking if you still have questions.
Do u have a diagram for ls1 single catch can with electric boost controller?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dreamls1
Do u have a diagram for ls1 single catch can with electric boost controller?
How would an electric boost controller affect the PCV plumbing?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rpmspeed cans?
Old 05-16-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RiceEaterZ
rpmspeed cans?
The one on their website is made by Mike Norris.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

so would that mean its good? I got it from the ws store just wondering If I need a better designed one before I put it on.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RiceEaterZ
so would that mean its good? I got it from the ws store just wondering If I need a better designed one before I put it on.
IMHO, not as good as the RevXtreme or Saikou Michi but okay.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

What I have found is that most don't really understand how and why the system is there. Add the multitudes of possible configurations and conditions and total confusion reigns.
For myself, I would have to agree with both statements. As for the understanding part, this thread has helped immensely. Thank you to all who have contributed. I do have a question though.

For those of us with a 98-00 F-body, who retain their EGR system, where are you mounting these catch cans? I see alot of setups mounted where the EGR would be located, but none with the EGR in place. I'd love to see some pictures of both single and dual can setups, so I can get an idea of what location works the best for fit as well as looking like its where it belongs.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have mine located on the driver's side next to the fuse box. The hoses go under the MAF to the other side, zip tied up nice.
Old 05-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

you have one of the most beautiful cars on here! i cant wait to get back over to the uk
Old 05-20-2009, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Viper
I have mine located on the driver's side next to the fuse box. The hoses go under the MAF to the other side, zip tied up nice.
Thanks Viper.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:05 AM
Teching In

This is my first post guys so hope it works out. I currently have this setup on a LS1 with a PWR Blower (positive displacement?). My question is, can I use the single can LS1 valley cover - Turbo diagram as pictured previously? It is a straight foward diagram from what I see. Just wanted to know if there is any difference between turbo or top mount S/C applications.
I purchased the vehicle with this setup a year ago and I am confused in what it is trying to do. Everything is going into the blower manifold, and is very different to the combinations described in this thread.
I am proposing a catch can as I am currently finding a little bit of oil behind the butterflies.
Some explanation on my current setup would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails My catch can routing ok?-vacuum_setup.jpg  

Last edited by jackojr; 06-02-2009 at 07:25 AM. Reason: changed diagram
Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just installed a revExtreme can on my 404, and I am still getting some smoke at idle, and a little at puff after I let off after a WOT pull. I have it ran like the diagram for a "single cath can with PCV orifice in the valley cover". I'm guessing I am getting oil from the "clean side" where I still have a line connected to my passenger valve cover to my throttle body. Can I not just cap those off and be done with that? Also What are you supposed to do with the other ports on the back of the passenger valve cover, and driver side port?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jackojr
This is my first post guys so hope it works out. I currently have this setup on a LS1 with a PWR Blower (positive displacement?). My question is, can I use the single can LS1 valley cover - Turbo diagram as pictured previously? It is a straight foward diagram from what I see. Just wanted to know if there is any difference between turbo or top mount S/C applications.
I purchased the vehicle with this setup a year ago and I am confused in what it is trying to do. Everything is going into the blower manifold, and is very different to the combinations described in this thread.
I am proposing a catch can as I am currently finding a little bit of oil behind the butterflies.
Some explanation on my current setup would be greatly appreciated.
jackojr,
Sorry for the delayed response, I've had to research your application. A few questions:
  1. Does your passenger side valve cover have a PCV valve in the rear or is it just a nipple?
  2. Looking at your diagram, is the passenger valve cover plumbed into the intake along with the vacuum booster and idle actuator? i.e. all tee'd together?
  3. Does the blower have a plenum the throttle body bolts to?
  4. Do you have any pictures?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blk00ss
I just installed a revExtreme can on my 404, and I am still getting some smoke at idle, and a little at puff after I let off after a WOT pull. I have it ran like the diagram for a "single cath can with PCV orifice in the valley cover". I'm guessing I am getting oil from the "clean side" where I still have a line connected to my passenger valve cover to my throttle body. Can I not just cap those off and be done with that? Also What are you supposed to do with the other ports on the back of the passenger valve cover, and driver side port?
  1. Are you running a vented oil cap?
  2. When you say 'little puff after WOT', from what source? i.e. valve cover, exhaust pipe, etc.
  3. Where are the rear lines from the DS and PS valve covers connected today?
If you are having carry over oil ingestion on the clean air side the only way to remedy that is another catch can or delete the entire PCV system and vent to atmosphere. Typically, you won't have this problem unless your running at high RPM's for long periods.
Old 06-07-2009, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Are you running a vented oil cap?
  2. When you say 'little puff after WOT', from what source? i.e. valve cover, exhaust pipe, etc.
  3. Where are the rear lines from the DS and PS valve covers connected today?
If you are having carry over oil ingestion on the clean air side the only way to remedy that is another catch can or delete the entire PCV system and vent to atmosphere. Typically, you won't have this problem unless your running at high RPM's for long periods.
No vented oil cap. Should I be running one?

I don't have the rear lines of the pvc connected at all. They are just vented to the atmosphere.

The puff I'm talking about is when I accelerate, and it is coming from the exhaust. I pulled the lid and MAF to check inside the TB and intake, and it is bone dry.

Should I reconnect the driver side and pass. side?
Old 06-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Teching In

I just have to say that this thread is tremendous! At first, I just got more confused. But, as I read more and more, the confusion slowly lifted. Now, I think I can actually put these on the car so that they actually serve a useful purpose (besides bling). Thanks to all that contributed.

Quick Reply: My catch can routing ok?