Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you get these friggin spark plugs out!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:05 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
ok... well, i tried, and a buddy tried... the fuggers are in there tight...

it's to the point that I'm worried if I turn the socket wrench any more something will strip/break...

what to do... anybody else run into this problem? If I break something off in my AFR's i'm gonna be pissed...
First time I did my plugs after about 3 years..I had to hold the ratchet in place with the socket on the spark plug while a friend had a 3 foot long piece of wood, like a broom handle but square, that I held against the ratchet...he had to hit it with a rubber mallet to break those ******* free. I don't see how you can hurt anything. Ain't know way your going to break the base of a spark plug. Only way to do that is by putting them in with like an air-gun. I broke the first 3 we did. Ceramic fell off but the nut part of the spark plug remains and thats all that has to come out.

I don't know why people put plugs in any more than finger tight, then literally a little ***** snug with the ratchet, I've been doing that for the past 8 years and my plugs come out with one hand and hardly any effort.

Last edited by LS6427; 03-01-2009 at 02:11 AM.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 AM
Banned

I'm wondering if I should get the engine nice and hot before trying... seems like i heard somewhere heat will help...

also, I took the car out for a spin tonight... sputters bad when "on it" full throttle... like it's missing or something... got a few pops from the exhaust...

anybody else think that sounds like a fouled plug or something...?
Heating it up shouldn't help. Heat expands and everything tightens up.

You're misfire causes the backfire and pops out the pipes. The fuel is still going in there, then when it does finally fire the mixture...it pops.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:14 AM
Banned

This is how I get to my back 2 plugs on the passenger side, they're out and the new ones in, maybe 15 minutes. The drivers side is literally easy and I can do them all in about 15-20 minutes with normal sized ratchet handles.

I think someone kind of screwed you by tightening the **** out of them when they put them in.

Passenger side, back 2 plugs:

Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I usually use a mini ratchet, then stick a large socket+breaker bar over the handle for leverage.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I second trying to get some heat into the engine. Wear some good mecanics gloves so you don't wind up burning up your hands/arms, but I think heat will help. My factory plugs were tough, but the engine was hot and even the passenger side wasn't that bad.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

any update? Where you able to get them out?

Make sure that when you put the new plug in, put some anti seeze on the end of the plugs. what happens is a chemical reaction with the aluminum and metal
Old 03-01-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
any update? Where you able to get them out?

Make sure that when you put the new plug in, put some anti seeze on the end of the plugs. what happens is a chemical reaction with the aluminum and metal
I haven't tried again yet... I've been a little under the weather yesterday and today... plus I had work... But i'm scrounging up the nuts to get back out there with some more leverage and give it a shot...

lol... you don't have to worry about the anti-seize.... I'll cake so much of that on there after this!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the best lubricant for stuck stuff is master blaster. but the easiest way to get the plugs out for me, is a swivel head spark plug socket from craftsman. i was going to say if your car is very cold, try warming the area up too, but you are in phoenix so i doubt thats the problem.

worst case, use and impact and if the threads are messed up helicoil it.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Exactly!

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
I always slide on the spark plug socket. Then use a 3/4" socket/ratchet slid onto the plug socket. it gives pretty good leverage to break them loose.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When you put the plugs back in, I think the torque spec. is somewhere around 11 ftlbs for the plugs.......Confirm with AFR
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My AFR build sheet states hand tight.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

I dont think letting the engine heat up will help any.the heat will cause the metal to expand and the threads to tighten.i would think it should be as cold as possible to get the threads to loosen
Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blk99sleekbeak
I dont think letting the engine heat up will help any.the heat will cause the metal to expand and the threads to tighten.i would think it should be as cold as possible to get the threads to loosen
That was my thinking as well... but then again... if you think about water in your freezer, when it gets cold and turns to ice, it expands... so... i dunno... I'm still sick as a dog, but thinking by Wednesday I'll hopefully get to feeling better and go give it another shot... we'll see...
Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Long handle swivel 3/8 ratchet, maybe a short extension on the socket.
I did all 8 in a little over an hour yesterday. The longer ratchet helps alot. The hardest part was removing the last coil pack bolt on the passenger side.
I can do the other car(LT1) in 45 minutes.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

WD and a breaker bar apply slow pressure, heat might help too, check maysure all plug wires are on secure too.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

That was my thinking as well... but then again... if you think about water in your freezer, when it gets cold and turns to ice, it expands... so... i dunno... I'm still sick as a dog, but thinking by Wednesday I'll hopefully get to feeling better and go give it another shot... we'll see...
Heat would help if you heated the engine and then let everything even out in temp by letting it sit for 10-15 mins.

Steel expands less than aluminum when heated. I assume your plugs have steel bases.
When you heat a plate with a hole in it (i.e. Heads with a spark plug screwed into it) the hole expands in diameter at the same percentage as the whole part expands.
So long as the spark plug base and heads are made of a different material, heating or cooling will have an effect.

If the plugs have steel bases, and the heads are aluminum, then heat will definitely help you get them loosened up.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

^^My plugs are the NGK 55's
Old 03-03-2009, 12:18 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 94'BLKBRD
Start working out.................j/k
I agree with this guy. Get big on them plugs and unscrew them out of there. Make sure you have a good angle on the wrench so the torque is being put on the plug and not on a header primary or some other part of the car.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AxisOfOil
Heat would help if you heated the engine and then let everything even out in temp by letting it sit for 10-15 mins.

Steel expands less than aluminum when heated. I assume your plugs have steel bases.
When you heat a plate with a hole in it (i.e. Heads with a spark plug screwed into it) the hole expands in diameter at the same percentage as the whole part expands.
So long as the spark plug base and heads are made of a different material, heating or cooling will have an effect.

If the plugs have steel bases, and the heads are aluminum, then heat will definitely help you get them loosened up.
+1

Aluminum expands almost twice as much as steel so if both were the same temp the spark plug would come out easier.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Use some kind of extension for a breaker bar effect. It makes for a smooth, progressive application of torque that will loosen them without breakage.