Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Pick one of the following based on performance.
FIPK Intake
14.41%
A Lid
82.88%
Other option (please specify)
2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Settle it Once and for All!!! - FIPK vs LID

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
it should be a crime to charge what K&N does for some of their intake stuff...$150-200 for a plastic tube? screw that
Amen to that!

Luckily it came with the FIPK when I bought it. I've been leaning towards a lid and what I've read so far is just pushing me the way I'm leaning.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get the lid man, I noticed a difference when I put my Whisper lid on. I raced my buddy when I was stock to his full bolt on car, and beat him by a bit (I'm a factory freak woot woot!) then I put on my lid and we raced again, I put a bit more on him... And don't blame the driver, he's got an auto :p
I think for the money it's a great mod.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:56 AM
TECH Resident

I voted lid, you wont suck in the hot air from the engine bay, and if you match up the lid with a SLP ram air system or the FTRA you get an even denser, colder air fed to your engine. You cant do that with a FIPK.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Lid. The Camaro's a bottom feeder.

If you had an UltraZ or Mecham hood on the other hand...
Old 03-04-2009, 05:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
some sort of ram air combined with a good lid is likely to be your best bet based on what I've seen with my friends lt1 with ram air mod

it should be a crime to charge what K&N does for some of their intake stuff...$150-200 for a plastic tube? screw that

Hell, honestly you don't even get the plastic tube with the LS1 FIPK, you get a rubber hose into the MAF....

I still like em' though. You guys would be surprised how the FIPK does NOT heat soak from underhood temps like people claim. I ran AutoTap and watched my intake temps in stop and go driving (in Florida!) and there was no heat soak. If you sat at idle in traffic for an extended period, it came up a few degrees, but dropped immediately when you accelerated and pulled fresh air through.

I had the FIPK on for a while before adding the SLP cold air kit, and this combination really woke it up. You could honestly feel it in the seat of the pants!

I still agree with all of you that these damn things are too freakin' expensive, I think K&N could sell many more if they would just drop the price!

The 02' SS that I had the FIPK on, was just a bolt-on car, but ran really good. I would do an FIPK again, but with the APS turbo kit sitting here...... I guess not!

Last edited by Pinky93; 03-04-2009 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the SOTP feel was probbaly in your head. You can't feel 1-2 HP difference when you already have 350.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pinky93
I still like em' though. You guys would be surprised how the FIPK does NOT heat soak from underhood temps like people claim. I ran AutoTap and watched my intake temps in stop and go driving (in Florida!) and there was no heat soak. If you sat at idle in traffic for an extended period, it came up a few degrees, but dropped immediately when you accelerated and pulled fresh air through.

I had the FIPK on for a while before adding the SLP cold air kit, and this combination really woke it up. You could honestly feel it in the seat of the pants!
I agree here. Mine has never heat soaked any worse than a lid, while even being tuned on the dyno for hours at a time.

My opinion is you already have the FIPK that came with the car, just add the SLP ram air kit, or make your own if you don't want to spend that kind of money and call it a day.

Now saying that, if you had a lid on the car I would tell you not to buy the FIPK and just get the ram air kit.

To me there is not enough difference in the two to make a change. Spend the money somewhere else that makes more of a difference.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by want297z
I agree here. Mine has never heat soaked any worse than a lid, while even being tuned on the dyno for hours at a time.

My opinion is you already have the FIPK that came with the car, just add the SLP ram air kit, or make your own if you don't want to spend that kind of money and call it a day.

Now saying that, if you had a lid on the car I would tell you not to buy the FIPK and just get the ram air kit.

To me there is not enough difference in the two to make a change. Spend the money somewhere else that makes more of a difference.
I've been waiting for someone to tell me this. I'm already goign fater than most folks with the same mods (not at the track though due to a tuning error that day). I think I will just invest that money somewhere else for the time being.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted FIPK, that is what I have on now. I have both and had the lid origionally then I saw the FIPK and thought that is closer to what the Vettes have so I got one and put it on. No dyno #'s or anything, but with the FIPK I could here more of the air being sucked into the TB and more noise must mean faster right?
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I will definitely agree about the heat soak, right now I have rubber elbows connecting my filter to the engine and they don't get hot at all unless the car is stopped, but once you start moving they almost instantly cool down
Old 03-04-2009, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an FIPK and i got it because my blackwing lid (came on car stock) kept poping off on one corner and rubbing on my hood real bad, you can still see rub spots, got the FIPK and all that quit. But in all honesty i highly doubt that one will outperform the other. Im not sure how many CFM's an LS1 pulls during WOT but the stock looking filter that goes for a lid will only allow like 400ish cfms thru it at max, thats what a K&N filter was rated for at least. I dont know how much it was rated for exactly so thats why i say 400ish because it was definatly in the 400s FWIW
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My fipk was on my car when I bought it if it wasnt on there when I got it. If it wasnt I would have bought a lid I dont think the fipk is worth the difference in cost BUT if you have one I wouldnt switch to a lid Ive watched my IAT in stop and go driving and like they said they go up when you stop but as soon as you start moving they drop very fast

I think most people say the lid because bang for the buck but I really dont think there much difference in the performance of ether fipk may be worth 1-2hp on a stock/bolt on car over the lid IMHO
Old 03-04-2009, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheSilverOne
the SOTP feel was probbaly in your head. You can't feel 1-2 HP difference when you already have 350.
I can guarantee you that it was NOT in my head. Although, my head does get in the way of my *** at times, if you get me.....

Actually, I should have shared a little more information.... I had done the FIPK, then added a Diablo tuner and then popped in the SLP cold air kit. That is likely the change I felt, all of those mods coming together.

I agree with all here, don't pull it if you already have it.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pinky93
Actually, I should have shared a little more information.... I had done the FIPK, then added a Diablo tuner and then popped in the SLP cold air kit. That is likely the change I felt, all of those mods coming together.

I agree with all here, don't pull it if you already have it.
i did the same thing back when the car was stock... went from a SLP lid to the FIPK, and then added the diablo tuner. This was before i knew any better, but i did feel a noticeable difference after the swap.

If its there already keep it, its not hurting you at all. Just don't over-oil it!
Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

NO OFFENSE to anyone who has replied to this thread but the only thing you're getting out of this poll is how many people run each setup.

88% run a lid
09% run FIPK
03% run a Volant intake or other

Does it really matter? -no
Will any setup work just fine regardless of the build? -yes
Is it a matter of personal taste and budget? -yes
Which one flows the most? -Volant
Is it ever NECESSARY to run any setup over the other? -very seldom

Last edited by Bouvs; 03-04-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouvs
Which one flows the most? -Volant
says the firebird owner. coincidence?
Old 03-05-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

I have both a lid and fipk. However I have been running the lid only for the past 2 yrs. Performance wish I think the lid is better when it's warm or hot outside and the fipk when it's cold. I have been thinking though lately to put the fipk back on and remove the ac shroud, you remove this and cut it when doing the free ramair mod. The reason behind this is to get more air. I did this once with the lid and my iat's during august heat waves dropped from over 100 driving in traffic to never going above 80. I have a outwears filter sock, like a drycharger in case of water getting splashed up there.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:56 AM
Teching In

OK I'm a noob so I'll ask. What is the 'free ram-air' mod? Did a search but no write-ups on it.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by critt50
OK I'm a noob so I'll ask. What is the 'free ram-air' mod? Did a search but no write-ups on it.
free-ram air is you cutting out the bottom of the intake box, plastic area right below the filter
Old 03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

I run an FIPK.
It's more than just a plastic tube..
The way it's designed, it reminds me of a Halltech on a 'Vette.
You replace your entire upper radiator support with a very well made metal panel.
I also run an Ultra Z hood .
I had a bad experience using a FTRA/MTI lid when it made my car run hotter.
I need to look into that SLP cold air deal,though.
One thing I DIDN'T like about the K&N was the IAT placement.
it pulls the IAT wire too much.
I solved that by re-pinning the harness for the IAT in my LS6 MAF.