Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Pick one of the following based on performance.
FIPK Intake
14.41%
A Lid
82.88%
Other option (please specify)
2.70%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Settle it Once and for All!!! - FIPK vs LID

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
I run an FIPK.
It's more than just a plastic tube..
The way it's designed, it reminds me of a Halltech on a 'Vette.
You replace your entire upper radiator support with a very well made metal panel.
I also run an Ultra Z hood .
I had a bad experience using a FTRA/MTI lid when it made my car run hotter.
I need to look into that SLP cold air deal,though.
One thing I DIDN'T like about the K&N was the IAT placement.
it pulls the IAT wire too much.
I solved that by re-pinning the harness for the IAT in my LS6 MAF.
You are right about it being more than a plastic tube...... it is a rubber tube! Oh, and the very nice powder coated radiator support, which I had to cut a slot in for the SLP cold air kit!!! If you go this route, give me a shout and I will share some pics with you!
Old 03-10-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

I like the look of it but not the fact that it pulls air from the engine bay. It would be better if it was that filter with a box like the volant.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HMERacing
I like the look of it but not the fact that it pulls air from the engine bay. It would be better if it was that filter with a box like the volant.

I actually looked at the Volant (SP?) but went with the FIPK after much research. I know the Volant is sealed to the hood, but as I posted earlier, I ran AutoTap and never witnessed any significant heat soak that concerned me. Probably just personal choice?
Old 03-10-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Pinky93
I actually looked at the Volant (SP?) but went with the FIPK after much research. I know the Volant is sealed to the hood, but as I posted earlier, I ran AutoTap and never witnessed any significant heat soak that concerned me. Probably just personal choice?

Thats cool! I dont care for the filter setup on the volant, I like the FIPK better. It is just the thought of the volant being sealed up. Just my preference.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

like someone else already said the best intake hands down for performance is

lid & some sort or ram air (sux2bu, custom, FTRA)...

i think the fipk is a good system so is the volant but they both are not able to allow for the use of ram air to the potential of a lid...i.e. pressurization inside the intake...

if there were no ram air systems out there, then it would be a different story...
Old 03-12-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had both. The volant CAI and a clear MTI lid. And after making the swap over to a lid I wont ever go back. The lid is much cleaner than the open style. With an exposed air filter i feel that is gets the filter dirtier and also subjects it to more engine heat. I noticed no difference at the track at all, but have not have a dyno pull with a lid yet to compare that way. Also, i use a wix paper filter now so i don't have to worry about filter oil getting on the MAF and throwing off the pcm, plus there is evidence that goes both ways as far as which performs better so I don't care about that. Basically i have a better peace of mind knowing i have the "cleaner" lid style filter setup.

Go with a lid!!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

ive got an mti lid with the free ram air mod, made a good difference, def. do the FRA mod if you get it, it flows so much air up there it leaves a stripe on your filter, be sure to keep it clean though, you get some bugs packed into there
Old 03-12-2009, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Have a fipk here modded w/ a bigger filter but im running a swap car.....bought the car w/ it on so dont know the differance from one to the other.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:48 PM
Restricted User

FIPKs are a waste of money. Do some datalogging with one of those on and look at your IAT readings.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

I did some data logging and with the fipk the iat's were higher when not moving but dropped much faster than a lid once moving.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

so what is the general consensus here people? My ride came with the fipkII, everyone says lid lid lid....how many lid guys have had a fipk or are these just opinions? so should I loose it and go for stock type lid setup? I opened the psuedo nose ducts behind the grille to do brake ducts but could also do ram air...If I go back to the lid type what do i need to buy????? Thanks for your time
Old 03-24-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FST SS
I voted FIPK, that is what I have on now. I have both and had the lid origionally then I saw the FIPK and thought that is closer to what the Vettes have so I got one and put it on. No dyno #'s or anything, but with the FIPK I could here more of the air being sucked into the TB and more noise must mean faster right?
I forgot to say that I also cut a hole in the metal radiater support that comes with the FIPK, about 5" wide and 15" long, right under the filter. Then I attached a mesh screen over the opening to catch anything coming up from the radiater. This lets cold air in under the filter. I think it works...
Old 03-24-2009, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

I beleive a lid is the way to go. Just go with an aftermarket one not the stock one.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Second Club

Post is a little old but I was doing some searcing and came upon this. My car also came with a fipk, i was not a fan of it until I modified the radiater support the kit came with to receive outside air from the front of the car. My logged iat temps are the same as the outside temperature for the day, when sitting they do go up but as soon as you start to drive they drop quickly to outside temps showing me it is getting the coolest temps possible and absolutely no restrictions in this kit, so I'm not sold on the lid is better!