Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SPARK PLUGS OUT!!! Well.... Sort of....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how on earth do you even get to the pass side? its like almost too tight to even get a hand down there
Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cohi
how on earth do you even get to the pass side? its like almost too tight to even get a hand down there
#6 and #8 are fun
Old 03-18-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

#6 from top, #8 from below.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
The red streaks and the greenish tint of the insulator. Also, there is some greenish gray pitting on the threads...
Is the red on the insulator is due to anti-knock/octane-boost additive...?

I didn't notice the green tint, but what does it mean...?
Old 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea... the passenger head is a little tough, but I don't have any of my AIR/EGR stuff anymore so that helped quite a bit...

as far as the tints go, I'm not really seeing them, but no guys, I'm not using any fuel additives... just plain 'ole 91 octane from chevron with techron

Old 03-18-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heh, sucks to hear that, hopefully everything goes fine in the repairs. We accidentally broke a header bolt flush with the head and we paid a guy to remove it who does this type of thing exclusively (broken bolts/studs/plugs/etc), did it in about 1 1/2 hours. But the tools this guy had...wow, he said a lot of it was aviation and marine stuff.

he said the worse job ever was a guy had broken a bolt in an aluminum head, tried to remove it with an E-Z out, broke the E-Z out then heated the head up. took him 2 days...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:24 PM
TECH Junkie

^^WOW!

well.... good news!!!!!!! I brought the head to the machine shop today and dropped it off.... 15 minutes later I get a call. "wes, your head is ready!" i was like "WTF!?!?! Already?!?!?!!!!"

went back and picked it up... he was able to pull the 2 spark plug threads out with an easy out... he said after he leaned into it a bit, they popped and came out without damaging my threads...

he also mentioned that the reason the spark plug was stuck in there was because they have a taper on the end of the plug, which in turn, made it get stuck in the head. He said that it had anti-seize on it, and to try and get replacement plugs that have a nice flat mateing surface with the head, so they don't get stuck again... kinda hard to explain, but I've got the plugs and will take pics against the type of plug he recommended...
Old 03-19-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats getting those bastards out.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Greekey
Congrats getting those bastards out.
man tell me about it! I was freaking out there for a while...
Old 03-19-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me, I would of been shittin bullets myself.
Old 03-19-2009, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cohi
Take the coil pack off so the barbs don't tear the **** out you...that helps.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Put those heads on already!

LOL

Goodluck with the install, I just hope I get my bird up in time for the SPEEDINC open house!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
he also mentioned that the reason the spark plug was stuck in there was because they have a taper on the end of the plug, which in turn, made it get stuck in the head. He said that it had anti-seize on it, and to try and get replacement plugs that have a nice flat mateing surface with the head, so they don't get stuck again... kinda hard to explain, but I've got the plugs and will take pics against the type of plug he recommended...
Post some close up pics of the spark plug holes...

I thought the seating surface of the hole was supposed to be tapered on this head for this motor.

The spark plugs you used are designed for a tapered seat.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Thats not even remotely close to true and this goes for all metals. Of course different metals have different expsansion rates, but that does not mean the spark plug hole is going to shrink. Not sure where you got that info from.

Lets see a pic of you head with the spark plug threads in them. When you bring your head into a machine shop tell them you would like 2 more heli-coils installed lol!
I beg to differ, when the head gets hot and the metal expands, the hole for the spark plug essentially gets smaller/tighter.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cam1999
I beg to differ, when the head gets hot and the metal expands, the hole for the spark plug essentially gets smaller/tighter.
Metal expands with heat, the spark plug hole gets bigger, but at the same time the threads in the head also expand and this is why your plug gets tight The plug gets tight on the threads not from the minor diameter of the plug hole shrinking. Glad they got the threads cleaned up for you.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Metal expands with heat, the spark plug hole gets bigger, but at the same time the threads in the head also expand and this is why your plug gets tight The plug gets tight on the threads not from the minor diameter of the plug hole shrinking. Glad they got the threads cleaned up for you.
Like was said earlier... the expansion does make the hole's diameter LARGER, and more so than the diameter of the plug.

However, like was also mentioned, which we seemed to glance over in the other thread, was that the expansion also occurs through the thickness of the heads/spark plugs, and essentially changes the thread pitch of the head/plug, possibly binding the threads (there are a couple more factors... but for all intents and purposes, it would probably bind the threads) until the expansion was enough that the plug would just slide out (probably a much higher heat than the engine sees).

Try screwing a 1/4 x 20tpi machine screw into a 1/4 x 16tpi tapped hole, and that's effectively what you're trying to do pulling a hot spark plug.

Quick Reply: SPARK PLUGS OUT!!! Well.... Sort of....