Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

at a loss on header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default at a loss on header install

So my bud and I have spent the better half of the past 2 weekends installing my headers. (granted we didn't have all the necessary tools at the time at first) Anyway they are the mac mids, and we have successfully removed the old cats and manifolds. However when we went to put the mids in, they wouldn't go. Any ideas. I mean the passenger side gets in about 75% and then is just stuck..won't budge past that. as for the driver side I get caught up on that infamous piece from the motor block. but from what i read the mids are supposed to be easier than long tubes to put in right? or i am retarded. i don't know. we got the car on 6 inches of lift plus what the jack would bring it up, i want to say between 18-20 inches high, i can't seem to figure out how these things are supposed to slide in. Please any suggestions would be appreciated. And is it possible to get them in without having to remove a whole bunch of other stuff(i.e. motor mounts?)
Old 03-15-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

get the car higher. When i did Lt s the higher the car the easier it is. Basically the header stands on the collector and you turn it right up and in.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with 3800RS. You can try taking the car up higher. Although, with the smaller mid-length headers, I wouldn't think you need it to be as high as the LT's. Worth a shot though. When we installed LT's on my friends 98 Z28 the driver's side wouldn't slide up in, so we put a small dimple in the firewall that allowed us to slide it past. Good luck...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never done mids but you may still need to do it this way:

Have the car high enough so that you can stand the header up on end. Start with the collector side down, header verticle. Poke them way up in there and then rotate accordingly.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. We had it high enough to get them almost standing up, but the slight angle in which we were putting them in probably caused them to catch on other things. It was a little disheartening to get all the stock stuff out of the way, only to get stuck on the home stretch.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove coilpacks/valve covers.if all else fails unbolt motormount and jack that side up.good luck.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:27 AM
Launching!

i had my car on a lift and undid my motor mounts and jacked the damn motor up. talk about a pain in the *** it took me and 3 friends 2 nights to do it after work. drove home the first night with open headers and scared the **** out of people walking down the street hahahaha
Old 03-16-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just put mine LT's this week end, the passenger side is very easy to slip right in, the drivers side i just grinded the tab sticking out and it went right in. No lifting the motor or unbolting the rack and pinion, but take off the coil packs like 35th ss said my left hand looks like i stuck it in a bee hive. Have paitence and be confident, this was my first time and it took me about 10 hours to get everything off and put my LT's in with the X pipe. Good luck hope this helps
Old 03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Launching!

So i bought a better jack today. An suv style one to lift it higher. That helped a ton!. Got the drivers side in no issue. The passenger side on the other hand, is giving me fits. That tab is catching the second to last primary opening and its getting caught. so i'll have to grind that down a bit. Other than that, it was exactly how you all said it was. Thanks alot. And LS1punk I hear ya, my arm looks like i let a cat go wild on it. GM put in a lot of unnecessary sharp edges and knife edged pieces of metal. I mean the Spindel looking tabs on the coil packs alone are waiting impalement of doom lol. I personally think they did that so you would want to take it to the dealership lol. Anyway I really appreciate all of you chiming in.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hope ya got those things in i had a hell of a time getting that one out those tabs suck
Did u unbolt the mount and slid it forward?
I should know i sold them to ya
Old 03-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Launching!

i had the same problem on mac mids for the pass side, what i had to do is take off the motor mount bolts on that side and ajck the motor up a little on the pass side to get that one in, needless to say
the whole process took longer than longtubes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ya i just did long tubes after selling the macs to you and they went in, in about 20 min no problem............does the motor in a firehawk sit diff that other F-Bodys

Him and i had problems w the macs and now my TSP LTs the #1 promary on driver side is hitting steering shaft BAD like trying to go right threw it....no one else had this problem