Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Dipstick Tube Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Dipstick Tube Stuck

I cant get my oil dipstick tube out, and I am at my wits end with it!

I have the passenger side manifold unbolted and ready to go, but the damn oil dipstick tube is stuck in the block. I had someone use channel locks on the top of the tube and pull up and twist, while I was under the car twisting and pushing up.

The only thing I can think of next is to cut the tube so I can get the header out of the way then keep pulling and twisting. If that doesn't work, the next step would be to pull the starter and/or heat that bad boy up.

I'm really lost, and could use some advise...

Name:  IMG_0110.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  7.0 KB
Old 03-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

I had the same problem, i kept wiggling it and trying to twist it and then the thing broke off leaving just a 1/2 inch of dipstick left on the end to go back in the block. Becareful, but i would cut it off and then try to fish the other half out. Good luck
Old 03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We had the exact same problem when I was doing my headers install this weekend. We ended up pulling the starter out and then got it to go. Just be patient and get some needle nose pliers down on the bottom of the tube and have a guy up top and wiggle it out. Thats the biggest problem we had with the header install, that and getting the end of the ORY into the pipe for my dual/dual catback.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Launching!

I used pliers as shown in the link from the bottom and got leverage by prying them against the starter. Have someone from the top pulling as you pry. Check out the link to see what works:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=37909
Old 03-16-2009, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

I tried everthing I could think of...

I tried putting vice grips on the bottom where it goes into the block and used a socket extension and a hammer to try and tap it up and out.

Looking at that pic again, I might be able to get a small scew driver in there to help pry it out.

Would it be OK to soak it with PB Blaster?

I might have to look in to those pliers.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you pull the starter yet? If not, try that because it made it easier. It took a while to get out, its got like a tappered fit in there too.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DID you unbolt it from the block, i kept pulling on mind untill i realized it was bolted to the block.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Launching!

^^^If this was not done, this thread just got a whole lot funnier
Old 03-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Restricted User

That would be pretty damn funny!

Pull the starter, its just a few bolts. You should be able to wiggle it out from there. Oh, and spray some PB blaster on there to loosen it up.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1PUNK
DID you unbolt it from the block, i kept pulling on mind untill i realized it was bolted to the block.
Hey question... where did you bolt it back up? I couldn't find a place to bolt the dipstick back to the block after we put the headers on so its just zip tied up top and that bracket isn't bolted to anything.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:21 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It bolts to the head. If you couldn't find a hole to bolt it to, you have it installed between the wrong header tubes.

Shane
Old 03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by XtraCajunSS
It bolts to the head. If you couldn't find a hole to bolt it to, you have it installed between the wrong header tubes.

Shane
Just went out and looked, its between the right ones, and I found the hole where it goes, now I just have to figure out which bolt it is. Looks like something for me to do later this week. We put it in in a hurry because we wanted to get it fired up with open headers so see what it sounded like.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sdiddy
^^^If this was not done, this thread just got a whole lot funnier
Yeah, I unbolted it from the block! lol The first thing I tried was bending a wire coat hanger through the bolt hole on the dipstick tube and yanking up.

I finally got the thing out today! I soaked it with PB Blaster a few times where it goes in to the block, wiggled it a bit on the bottom with some vice grips, then used vice grips to attach a slide hammer to the top of the tube and it popped out.

Quick Reply: Oil Dipstick Tube Stuck