Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever heard of this???

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever heard of this???

I changed my power steering pump/headgastkets/ radiator..... put it all back together and pressure tested it. The needle fell slowly and the power steering pump resevoir bubbled each time there was pressure on it. is it this peice (below) thats the only thing I can reason? Also, sterring pulsates and seems impromper, coolant boils over.... well it's got water in it for now.Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
Attached Thumbnails Ever heard of this???-fucked-up-part-001.jpg   Ever heard of this???-fucked-up-part-002.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you should bleed the coolant system for air, as far as the steering components, im not sure if you have to bleed those or not, but it sounds like it
Old 03-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That piece is the power steering cooler, the ps fluid is cooled by the fluid in the upper radiator hose, they're notorious for leaking.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Erikz 28
I changed my power steering pump/headgastkets/ radiator..... put it all back together and pressure tested it. The needle fell slowly and the power steering pump resevoir bubbled each time there was pressure on it. is it this peice (below) thats the only thing I can reason? Also, sterring pulsates and seems impromper, coolant boils over.... well it's got water in it for now.Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.
If you have bubbles coming into the power steering fluid reservoir during a radiator pressure test....the cooler is leaking.

Get rid of that thing in your pics, thats the PS fluid cooler, and put an aftermarket cooler on. It costs like $45.00 to do it yourself in 20 minutes.

Or, just go buy a rubber hose that takes the place of that metal cooler and the two rubber hoses on each end, and install that. Then connect the two hoses that were going to the cooler. You dont need the cooler for a 100% street driven car or even a drag strip car. Only for heavy road racing.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you choose to install an aftermarket cooler, I can take pics of how I did mine. Took me about 20 minutes and its mounted in a great place where it gets ram air from the lower air dam when the car is moving, just like the condensor/radiator does.

I've pulled over after driving for 30 minutes and put my hand on the cooler and its always just warm to the touch, not hot at all. I can keep my hand there as lonmg as I want. There's no way you can keep your hand on the factory PS cooler without getting a bad burn.

I would think the factory PS fluid coolers cause the power steering fluid to actually get hotter, because the radiator coolant that surrounds the fluid flowing through the PS cooler is hot as all hell compared to how hot PS fluid gets in normal driving.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys... I ended up just running those lines together, makes me feel better knowing i'm not the only one. So you guys have heard of these ****** up? they seem pretty indestructible. My coolant is still boiling over, I'm hoping it's just an air pocket somewhere, not the headgasket I just replaced.... It's been awhile, I cant remember what the signs of a bad thermostat are? thanks...
Old 03-24-2009, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Are both your upper and lower hoses getting hot? If so, your t-stat is probably good. Might have a clogged up radiator. The easiest way to check that is to user an infrared thermometer, and just go up and down the rad until you find a cold spot (you shouldn't find any). If it ends up being clogged, you will have to remove it and try blowing out the clog or steam cleaning it etc. Might try filling it full of vinegar overnight and seeing if that helps too. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

cant be that.... new radiator, ty though