Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Headers Problems Hitting Steering Shaft ANYBODY??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSP Headers Problems Hitting Steering Shaft ANYBODY??

Does any one else have The 1 7/8 LTs from TSP and had the steering shaft rub or steering shaft wont go on? or is this just me, kinda hard to believe...I have tried 2 Different sets of solid mounts and same results......

Going to try stock mounts 2 marrow

This was my org right after intstall........

Well just got in from beating my head numb after installing the TSP LTs and i will say this they went into position AWSOME!!!
(I have spohn solid mounts may be diff 4 u)
Remove the starter and let it hang down, Remove Oil filter, Take steering shaft off rack.

Now getting the steering shaft back on the rack is where I ran into problems..
Couldn't get it on and beating on the primary of my brand new headers is def my last resort.
I even unbolted the motor mounts from the K member and jacked the engine up 1in and still no luck
Tried with the car in the air on jack stands.......Tried with the front tires resting on blocks to maybe change the geometry alittle bit and still nothing.

Is there anything im missing here?!?! Does anybody make a smaller dia steering shaft or one with a extra U joint in it?

Not trying to nock TSP at all just want help getting my steering shaft on w/o beating in the primary cause i dont work like that

Last edited by 1999FirehawkLS1; 03-23-2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Staging Lane

I had to replace the stock ones, with poly motor mounts. I grinded down my sterring shaft a bit to give it clearence. Now everything is good to go now
Old 03-21-2009, 03:06 PM
TECH Junkie

this seems to be a reocurring problem.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
this seems to be a reocurring problem.
This is NOT a recurring problem. This is the first fitment issue on these headers that has been brought to our attention in fact. And, I'm not convinced yet that the mounts being used weren't the issue. The headers are built around a jig, and verified on a jig for consistent fitment before shipping. There is virtually no change in fitment from one set to another.

OP: Did you get stock mounts on the car yet? Any update?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-21-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I am thinking that most of these cars need new motor mounts to begin with, hence why the header may have some contact. I don't really see this as a major problem as it can easiely be fixed.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if we don't have stock mounts, don't buy these headers? I have Spohn solid mounts and was looking at these but not if I will have problems?
Old 03-22-2009, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

my car had 60k miles on it when i put the headers on. All i know i had to do what i stated before to get these headers to fit with no issues
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by a98ws6
So if we don't have stock mounts, don't buy these headers? I have Spohn solid mounts and was looking at these but not if I will have problems?
Spohn swears their solid mounts raise the engine in the bay a fraction of an inch IIRC....but we have not had a car in the shop to test or confirm that on since I heard about this.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure Matt can chime in and say for sure but from what I understand if the motor is not at stock height (ie old worn out mounts or new mounts that adjust how high the motor sits) then you can and probably will run into problems. Especially with the larger primaries. I have Spohn mounts as well and ended up going with a different brand of header. I originally was going to go with the TSP headers but really didn't plan on going with larger cubes and I have also had bad luck with coated mild steel headers so I went with a stainless header and 1 3/4 primaries.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Spohn swears their solid mounts raise the engine in the bay a fraction of an inch IIRC....but we have not had a car in the shop to test or confirm that on since I heard about this.
To add to Matt's response, I had Spohn mounts on my old T/A that had QTP 1 3/4 headers and I had absolutely no fitment issues. The primaries were nowhere close to the steering shaft. Maybe the OP had a bad set or something, I don't know. I'd be interested to see what the outcome was when he switched back to stock mounts or poly's.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

so is this a problem with just the first couple of batches? if so i never put mine on yet. can i get a new set in place of my the first batch you sent out?
Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
This is NOT a recurring problem. This is the first fitment issue on these headers that has been brought to our attention in fact. And, I'm not convinced yet that the mounts being used weren't the issue. The headers are built around a jig, and verified on a jig for consistent fitment before shipping. There is virtually no change in fitment from one set to another.

OP: Did you get stock mounts on the car yet? Any update?
Yes i did get stock mounts in the car went and got brand new polytech inserts got them in bolted the mounts in got the driver side header bolted on tight where it supposed to be and still 1 1/2 off from where it needs to be...I actually just got off the phone with jason u guys have been real nice on working w me on it and trying to get the issue solved and fig out weather its my car or the header i am goin to ship them back to have u guys check them in the jig and i guess if it right ill have to go w a diff set of headers and it must be my car i dont have a buddies car sitting around apart to try it on or else i would.......one thing is the rack has been replaced in my car but if anything from cars i have measured my racks 1/2in towards the drivers more than my buddies 99 WS6 which should give me more room........If the header checks out fine then i will have no problem saying it was something w my car and the way stuffs sitting in it what ever the problem is with my car i wish i knew so i could fix it cause i do agree w TSP that its highly unlikely to be the header cause them using a jig u can't realy go wrong with building stuff like that.

I DID NOT post this to bash TSP or there LTs i give u guys props for providing us with a affordable 1 7/8 LT just wish i could figure out whats up w my car so i can run them..thats all

Last edited by 1999FirehawkLS1; 03-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really want to get the TSP's to fit with my Spohn mounts, if at all possible. Like stated, i am really glad Tsp stepped up with an affordable 1 7/8 header. With bigger cubes, alot of nitrous and high RPM, i really dont want to stick with the smaller header. If i cant get the TSP's to fit, i will try and find some other big headers that are used.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I really want to get the TSP's to fit with my Spohn mounts, if at all possible. Like stated, i am really glad Tsp stepped up with an affordable 1 7/8 header. With bigger cubes, alot of nitrous and high RPM, i really dont want to stick with the smaller header. If i cant get the TSP's to fit, i will try and find some other big headers that are used.
Man I tell ya what Im the only one for some reason and after swapping out mounts gonig from SPOHN to STOCK the solids had it closer man i am sending mine back to them tomarrow to see if the headers off a little or its the money pit sitting in my garage thats laughing at me right now lol

But seriously does anybody know how much i could losen up the K member and posible move it side to side a little and think maybe it could have been moved? Im clue less why im the only one haven this problem

Last edited by 1999FirehawkLS1; 03-23-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i just found out the rack is out of a 98 Z28 car would this be different from a 99 Friehawk?
Old 03-23-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1999FirehawkLS1
Man I tell ya what Im the only one for some reason and after swapping out mounts gonig from SPOHN to STOCK the solids had it closer man i am sending mine back to them tomarrow to see if the headers off a little or its the money pit sitting in my garage thats laughing at me right now lol

But seriously does anybody know how much i could losen up the K member and posible move it side to side a little and think maybe it could have been moved? Im clue less why im the only one haven this problem
The K member really doesn't move side to side man. It's centered where it is and needs to stay there.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

my friend has the texas speed 1 7/8th headers and the drivers side rests on the steering shaft. He didn't complain though because he just wanted to drive the car after a hole winter worth of work.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:18 AM
Launching!

My steering shaft also rubbed slightly. All we did was grind down enough of it to get good enough clearance. It was no biggie. Love my headers good quality for the price! Good job TSP and thanks!

Quick Reply: TSP Headers Problems Hitting Steering Shaft ANYBODY??