Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got the new duals on, but........

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 11:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by d_rock
pics are coming as soon as my x-pipe gets put in which will be tommorrow.

These pics are not of my car but of ls1tech member kev98ta
the mufflers are tucked up at the bumper. Just like his. I actually printed pics of kev98ta exhaust and said i want it just like this. I guess he couldnt see the x in there.

only difference in mine and kev98ta's exhaust is the tips and the fact he has a crossover x pipe. I listened to the audio clip of his trans am and was sold on the borla's.

your buddies looks good hope they do it right when you go back ! ! !
Old 05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I actually dont know him He is a member here on this website.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Resident

I'm going to be going to this exhaust shop that's supposed to be real good, and has a mandrel bend machine. It's like an hour from Chicago, but I want the "best"

I hope it comes out good, and he is as good as he says he is. I've seen his website, and videos of some jobs. They look real good.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by d_rock
i actually dont know him he is a member here on this website.
oh..... Thats cool any way i just think you should get what you paid for and you should pay for what you want
Old 05-11-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by R.E.double.D.
oh..... Thats cool any way i just think you should get what you paid for and you should pay for what you want

I agree, I shoulkd be getting it corrected today. Pics are to come once I get it completed.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally like the sound of no crossover the best.. And as far as feeling a differnce I felt none what so ever going to an h pipe.. Also tests have been done the gain on the dyno is minimum up top where it matters
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok I snapped some pics and am working on getting them uploaded. My car is filthy so please dont pay attention to the dirt. haha

Pics to be added.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

alot better ground clearance than the QTP Y pipe, almost a full 2" difference in clearance.

the left tip is a little crooked as well, i will have him straighten it up when they add the crossover.

Borla's are tucked up real nice.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are 2 videos I just took. They are not the greatest quality due to wind, but you get the basic idea. I work and live at a storage facility so thats where the video was shot incase anyone is wondering. To me the exhaust sounds sloppy, I dont know how else to describe it. Im hoping that by putting in a crossover it will make it more of a refined tone.

video1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhhPmgHS4w

video2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mmo4jzbkxg

video added after the crossover x-pipe was put in.

Here are the videos of the the car after the X-pipe was put in. I love the sound it has now. Not the farm truck any more. The 2nd one is my favorite. Its the muscle/exotic (thats what I would describe it as) sound that I was after. Now I cant wait to hear it with the heads and cam but thats a long time from now. For now I will just listen to the sound of stock internals

video 1 with x-pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwG5RikP7fE

video 2 with x-pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXnmwPKztoU

video 3 with x-pipe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWbeqhZqsZU

Last edited by D_Rock; 05-13-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely has a choppy sound. Lets see what happens when the crossover is added. I bet this becomes heavily referenced in the future for a good "before and after" example.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KurtRardin
Definitely has a choppy sound. Lets see what happens when the crossover is added. I bet this becomes heavily referenced in the future for a good "before and after" example.
yeah it reminds me of when I had my harley with straight pipes, actually the harley sounded good this sounds bad to me.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

With x-pipe it will give the sound more definition. I recently switched to 2 mufflers before the tips (powerflo) and like the deep sound with no rasp it produces. IMO the best exhaust on a y-pipe setup
Old 05-11-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it sounds good, but like you said, it has a different/choppy sort of tone. This will be a very good before and after example. Can't wait to hear it again with the x-pipe. Good job man.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I think it sounds good, but like you said, it has a different/choppy sort of tone. This will be a very good before and after example. Can't wait to hear it again with the x-pipe. Good job man.
Thanks Mumbles. I actually like the sound at idle and low RPM's but its just not what I want overall.

Well I was suppose to get a call today to tell me when to bring the car back to get the crossover added but of course I didnt recieve a call. Maybe It will get added sometime before the end of the week. Damn Im so impatient.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by D_Rock
Thanks Mumbles. I actually like the sound at idle and low RPM's but its just not what I want overall.

Well I was suppose to get a call today to tell me when to bring the car back to get the crossover added but of course I didnt recieve a call. Maybe It will get added sometime before the end of the week. Damn Im so impatient.
You have a right to be impatient. The shop messed up and they should be worried about customer satisfaction more than their own personal pride of exhaust knowledge, or lack thereof.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

im curious as to if the x-pipe makes a bunch of difference. i had the same problem you had with my s10 when i did the ls1 swap. my exhaust guy didnt put in the X like i had asked, then he quit his job 3 days after so it never did get added. i added extra mufflers to take care of the farm truck sound but it was still somewhat there. im very curious to hear your clips after th X-pipe install. otherwise, i like the sound of those borlas. sounded like my GTO!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tripps
You have a right to be impatient. The shop messed up and they should be worried about customer satisfaction more than their own personal pride of exhaust knowledge, or lack thereof.
Your right, Im just the type of person who doesnt like to upset anyone or get on any ones nerves. I called back and it sounds likehe might of been sick today or the dog died who knows. Im off tommorrow so Im just going to make a surprise visit.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On my 98 WS6 had a shop do the same thing.. i wanted x they gave me straight pipe..annoying.

Seems that guy does very very good work! everything looks in place took the time to make sure everything was hung right and bent.

Just my opinion...but i don't like the muffler before the tips.. it looks like those fart cans.. maybe if it were bullet mufflers that blended right behind the tip or somthing but the mufflers stick out and look weird...JUST MY OPINION... other than that i think that exhaust is very bad ***!

yea get that X and get us some more vids!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im wondering if this style X pipe would be the best for power even if it is 3-4 hp. it would look wide like that on one side of the x then it would narrow down after.