Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe buying new headers, SLP headers question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I like my hooker 1 3/4s.....
Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I got them for a steal from Speed Tweekerz....
Old 05-26-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im happy with my pacesetters!! those new SLP headers look great and look like a huge improvement over the old SLP headers. they did a install on them on a old issue of GMTHP and it made great power.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
Do NOT get SLP headers. There is no clearance whatsoever.

My car is stock height and there is no room whatsoever.

Don't say I didn't warn you!

Those are the original SLP headers. Yes, these things have terrible ground clearance issues. But, I'm talking about the redesigned headers. They are better than the old ones and have much better ground clearance.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CETAWS6
Those are the original SLP headers. Yes, these things have terrible ground clearance issues. But, I'm talking about the redesigned headers. They are better than the old ones and have much better ground clearance.
I realize that the new ones fit better, although I don't see why you wouldn't buy from Kooks or ARH - two reputable companies which make headers that are flawless for less than SLP charges.

Even if they were the same price, I would stray away from SLP due to their dealings with the G8 Firehawk.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are gonna drop the coin than the ARH's are one hell of a nice set of headers.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wish people would quit telling everyone to not buy SLP Headers because they are over priced and have bad ground clearance, you guys are spreading bad info and confusing newbies. If you tell them to avoid SLP Headers you should specify that it is the old headers that had bad ground clearance. Also note that AR Headers with Catted y-pipe and the newly designed SLP long tubes with catted y-pipe both cost about $1,350! Both Headers are very comparable and either one would be a great buy for the money.

Lets get information right and rise above the old wive's tale that "SLP Headers have terrible ground clearance and are over priced". That is old info people spread who haven't done their research. SLP has stepped it up.

SLP Headers

Last edited by TheBlueKnight; 05-26-2009 at 11:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:00 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I wish people would quit telling everyone to not buy SLP Headers because they are over priced and have bad ground clearance, you guys are spreading bad info and confusing newbies. If you tell them to avoid SLP Headers you should specify that it is the old headers that had bad ground clearance. Also note that AR Headers with Catted y-pipe and the newly designed SLP long tubes with catted y-pipe both cost about $1,350! Both Headers are very comparable and either one would be a great buy for the money.

Lets get information right and rise above the old wive's tale that "SLP Headers have terrible ground clearance and are over priced". That is old info people spread who haven't done their research. SLP has stepped it up.

SLP Headers
I agree. I remember when I first came here some of the members were ******* SLP headers. I was thinking "Damn, SLP can't be that bad". Despite the criticism, I went and got them anyway based on the research I've done. And you know, I'm glad I made the decision to get them because like the exhaust system. To me, it was worth the money. So whenever a newbie ask questions about a product or whatever, I give them my opinion on it based on my experiences. If it's good or bad, I would tell them and do it in a factual matter. But, I certainly would not tell anyone don't buy this or don't buy that. I mean who am I to tell someone whether to buy a product or not. Everyone's definition of overpriced varies.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spd-Kilz
I realize that the new ones fit better, although I don't see why you wouldn't buy from Kooks or ARH - two reputable companies which make headers that are flawless for less than SLP charges.
Even if they were the same price, I would stray away from SLP due to their dealings with the G8 Firehawk.
Kooks and ARH are reputable companies. But I made the decision to buy SLP.
And you made the decision to stray away from SLP. Although, I dont see why.
But it's your decision and that's how it should be.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Man sooo much bickering in here. Hey human i didn't know you were in NoVa where at?? If you want send me a PM we can meet up. I have SLP longtubes (the old version) but you can see they still look brand new. They are in great shape, i have been thinking of going a different route for exhaust so might be parting ways with them soon. As long as you get some good motor mounts and pull a little weight out the front the old version isn't all that bad. I have yet to see the new version yet so can't comment on that.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDB
Just to let people know, the Y pipe banging is usally from worn motor mounts, get poly mounts.
yeah thats what i've heard from a bunch of people and I may do them as well.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 00T/AWS6
Man sooo much bickering in here. Hey human i didn't know you were in NoVa where at?? If you want send me a PM we can meet up. I have SLP longtubes (the old version) but you can see they still look brand new. They are in great shape, i have been thinking of going a different route for exhaust so might be parting ways with them soon. As long as you get some good motor mounts and pull a little weight out the front the old version isn't all that bad. I have yet to see the new version yet so can't comment on that.
I appreciate everyone's opinions on headers I think it will help my decision alot and I dont' mind the arguing really. For all you guys with headers that aren't banging have you changed your mounts or do you just have a low mileage F-body. My SS has 113k on it and my previous WS6 had 30k on it and i'm sure it wouldn't have banged as much. Anways I'm in Ashburn, i'm still not sure what headers I will go with.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

solid mounts and Kooks, they even come with gaskets
Attached Thumbnails Maybe buying new headers, SLP headers question.-10-31-08_1627.jpg   Maybe buying new headers, SLP headers question.-10-30-08_1454.jpg   Maybe buying new headers, SLP headers question.-10-30-08_1647.jpg  
Old 05-28-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have a motor mounts yet, i cut it close on speed bumps especially with people in the car but if i get MM i'm sure i'd be alright. Ahhh Ashburn that's right down 28 from me haha. Just shoot me a PM if you want to meet up, i've got 76k on my car I have SLP LT's you can see how low they hang and what they look like after some mileage and everything. I can also give you good truthful info on them. My summer job hasn't gone through yet so i'm pretty much free any non rainy day haha.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

IMO go with ARH. Fitment, quality, and service is second to none.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/
Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I have installed a lot of headers. Out of all of them , Kooks were by far the best quality and best fitting header I have ever seen.

SLPs are a good header, but the last set I had on a GTO started to turn color and looked like they were rusting under the coating.

Kooks are the cadillac. period. end of story. You definately pay for them, but they simply rock.

I have not installed any QTPs so I cant speak on those.

If you are "budget" minded, pacesetters are a good bang for the buck. But if money is no object.....KOOKS.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
I have installed a lot of headers. Out of all of them , Kooks were by far the best quality and best fitting header I have ever seen.

SLPs are a good header, but the last set I had on a GTO started to turn color and looked like they were rusting under the coating.

Kooks are the cadillac. period. end of story. You definately pay for them, but they simply rock.

I have not installed any QTPs so I cant speak on those.

If you are "budget" minded, pacesetters are a good bang for the buck. But if money is no object.....KOOKS.
this man speaks the truth. as an owner of the low end(pacesetters) and now the high end(Kooks) i can honestly tell you that you get what you pay for when you buy a set of Kooks. while the pacesetters served their purpose they don't compare to the Kooks. Imagine a header that clears everything by a mile,tucks up incredibly well, and makes changing your plugs and wires an enjoyable experience. that's what a Kooks header is
Old 05-29-2009, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HumanNipple
I appreciate everyone's opinions on headers I think it will help my decision alot and I dont' mind the arguing really. For all you guys with headers that aren't banging have you changed your mounts or do you just have a low mileage F-body. My SS has 113k on it and my previous WS6 had 30k on it and i'm sure it wouldn't have banged as much. Anways I'm in Ashburn, i'm still not sure what headers I will go with.
My Formula has just under 50k, a friends 98 Z28 is at 90k, and my brother's 02 SS has 4600 (yes, 4600 miles). When we installed LT's, we did poly motor mounts on each of these cars.

And the number of miles on the vehicle isn't always applicable. A friend at work has a buddy with an 02 WS6 with like 4000 miles on it, with Kooks LT's and Catted Y, and the factory mounts and he has trouble with his Y-pipe bangin' on the floorpan. So that isn't the best way to judge whether or not you're going to have trouble. If you're doing headers just do the mounts at the same time. It'll save alot of trouble, I promise.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Just installed my 1 7/8 ARH headers today, stock mounts. The ONLY thing I had to remove was the steering shaft from the steering rack. No motor jacking, nothing. The drivers side slid in and did not hit anything at all. Passenger side touched the plate attached to the firewall, little tap and went right in. ORY clears everything with no issues. The headers do not touch, no cutting or grinding needed on K-member or any other part. Very impressed with the fit. Only the back passenger spark plug can not be accessed from the top, but is wide open from under the car.

Came with gaskets and O2 sensor extenders.

Ordered from CCperformance Parts ( 99blancoSS ) Free shipping, Free plug wires and free spark plugs with the headers.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn congrat's on the headers, how steeep did that run you with all of those included with the headers?? haha seems like they gave you everything but i'm sure they factored it in.

Quick Reply: Maybe buying new headers, SLP headers question.