Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had SLP Loudmouth 1...added Kooks Longtubes...Annoyed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the loudmouth 1 setup and hated it. Definitely loud. If u decide to get another catback i would suggest Hooker Aerochamber. Nice, deep, throaty sound and not too loud with a non catted y-pipe.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I bought blownWS6's powerflo setup, and he was nice enough to toss in a LM2 resonator (actually, it's a bullet muffler) as well. I figured I would install that first since I have longtubes and offroad ypipe.

I wasn't really sure what to expect switching out the magnaflow, but upon the first startup, it's so much deeper and absolutely no rasp at all. I couldn't be happier.

It does seem to be a little louder in the cabin, especially above 2500 rpm, but that's ok, that's what they make higher gears for.

To quantitate how much deeper the slp powerflo with a lm2 is than the magnaflow, I'd say the magnaflow is about 250hz (think mid bass) and the powerflo with lm2 is like 75hz (think 12" JL sub deep).

I only went around the block, but I'm very happy. I'm going to try and take the car to work tomorrow and give a better review.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

^ Isn't it great to have no rasp and a nice deep tone?
Old 06-17-2009, 05:46 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
^ Isn't it great to have no rasp and a nice deep tone?
From the short ride around the neighborhood, it was weird, I've never heard an ls1 this deep. It will take some time to get used to for sure.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by firebirdman469
I have a Kooks catted Y right now, and it is still raspy to me. In fact, I just got pulled over today for how loud it was...
Mmm...I guess I'm outta ideas for saving the Loudmouth. Could go Magnaflow. A friend and I did his 98 Z28 with LT's/ORY and Magnaflow sounds pretty good and not nearly as loud as my car.

Originally Posted by brians91formula
Cool video and the car sounds awesome but why would you redline the motor when its cold ?
Thanks. If you watch the video, I don't actually get to redline. Just trying to add more drama to the film-making. LOL
Old 06-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Glad your happy with, I kinda miss it already.
Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I bought blownWS6's powerflo setup, and he was nice enough to toss in a LM2 resonator (actually, it's a bullet muffler) as well. I figured I would install that first since I have longtubes and offroad ypipe.

I wasn't really sure what to expect switching out the magnaflow, but upon the first startup, it's so much deeper and absolutely no rasp at all. I couldn't be happier.

It does seem to be a little louder in the cabin, especially above 2500 rpm, but that's ok, that's what they make higher gears for.

To quantitate how much deeper the slp powerflo with a lm2 is than the magnaflow, I'd say the magnaflow is about 250hz (think mid bass) and the powerflo with lm2 is like 75hz (think 12" JL sub deep).

I only went around the block, but I'm very happy. I'm going to try and take the car to work tomorrow and give a better review.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

From the short ride around the neighborhood, it was weird, I've never heard an ls1 this deep. It will take some time to get used to for sure.
Any sound or video clips we can listen to? I've heard Detoxx car and it sounds good, I'd just like to hear it on multiple cars. <=-)
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I can make a video, but I don't know about you, but between the crappy microphone to record the videos, and the crappy computer speakers, I can never tell a difference between exhausts online.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can make a video, but I don't know about you, but between the crappy microphone to record the videos, and the crappy computer speakers, I can never tell a difference between exhausts online.
Yeah. True that. LOL
Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its either new catback, or get rid of the headers/y-pipe.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a Kooks catted Y right now, and it is still raspy to me. In fact, I just got pulled over today for how loud it was...
I was looking at the Y-Merge on the Kooks Catted Y-Pipe and it looks to be similar to the merge that everyone says causes the exhaust gases to slam into each other rather than flow together in the same direction then merge. Its also said that this "crappy" merge can cause rasp. You could have your Y-pipe modified by adding a Flowmaster Merge and this could possibly save you from having to ditch your LM Catback. I'm not sure what an exhaust shop would charge to do this, but it would most likely be less than the cost of a new catback. Just a thought. Of course, if you're looking for a good reason to get a new setup, than, by-all-means, buy some new exhaust. LOL. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Man that Powerflo sounds GOOD. I like my Hooker catback, but the piping is all beat up and I want something a TAD louder, but not as loud as my open cutout. I may consider the Powerflo in the future.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

H/c/i + lm1/ory/lt's here. I hate it and love it, its way to loud. But its sounds pure evil!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have this same set up, i think it had a better sound after i removed the resonator