Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my custom exhaust design...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my custom exhaust design...?

Ok, i am planing to do a full exhaust upgrade on my trans am with long tubes, ORY, and a catback. I am thinking of designing my own cat back because I would like to run a spintech super pro street muffler, a buddy of mine has them on his ls2 swapped impala ss and they sound awesome. They only come witn 1-inlet/1-outlet so I plan to add a y-pipe after the muffler to achieve the "dual" tailpipes. After about 3 different designs, here is a pic of the final design. Tell me what you guys think, any input is appreciated. thnaks

P.S. is any one on here running spintech pro streets or super pro streets?

Old 07-07-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm no professional, but I think it looks good. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been done and works good but will not sound the same as if it had two pipes comming directly out and dumped. The pipe running behind the muffler has too much of a tight bend in it and it will quiet the exhaust down some. If you do it absolutely get mandel u bends for it. If you want to run spintech look at mufflex. They have a nice crossflow muffler set up with dual outlets or for ultimate flow you could get their single 4" system with a spintech, flowmaster, or magnatlow muffler and a single 4" dump.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamrdown
It's been done and works good but will not sound the same as if it had two pipes comming directly out and dumped. The pipe running behind the muffler has too much of a tight bend in it and it will quiet the exhaust down some. If you do it absolutely get mandel u bends for it. If you want to run spintech look at mufflex. They have a nice crossflow muffler set up with dual outlets or for ultimate flow you could get their single 4" system with a spintech, flowmaster, or magnatlow muffler and a single 4" dump.
That is not true.. That is how my GMMG is made. Alsom using that same configuration
Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try Mufflex first they make something like that.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

i seen the mufflex and they use the crossover/sportsman spintech series muffler which is one of spintech's quieter muffler, the pro streets and super pro streets are their aggresive muffler, thats why im thinking of going with this design. and yes, I plan to use mandrel bent all the way.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

that exhaust looks way overcomplicated for what you are trying to accomplish. Put the spintech right after the Y, then run one pipe over the axle, then split it after the axle to each tailpipe. Much easier.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by D.Jones
i seen the mufflex and they use the crossover/sportsman spintech series muffler which is one of spintech's quieter muffler, the pro streets and super pro streets are their aggresive muffler, thats why im thinking of going with this design. and yes, I plan to use mandrel bent all the way.
I don't know how there quiet, because I put a Spintech (344 SCS) in my Fowmaster catback and it just as loud, if not louder than the Flowmaster 80 muffler!

The Spintech does flow good and sound mean though!
Old 07-08-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
That is not true.. That is how my GMMG is made. Alsom using that same configuration
Reread the post! I said it HAS been done before. I've seen the gmmg set up and others. But is it ideal? Not in my opinion!