Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black POR-15 on FAST intake

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has to be better than rattle can paint some one here use. I have used POR on everything and the kitchen sink forever and a day and never had issue with it. My biggest issue was always getting it off me or anything else you didn't want it on. It just won't budge so you have to wait for new skin to grow LOL
Old 08-11-2009, 02:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

On this topic, has anyone done anything to their fast to cut down on the hollow sound of it? I guess because it's a three peice design, you get a lot more sound and echo'ing compared to the factory intakes. I'm wondering if you could put some high temp sound deadener under it to quiet it down, sort of like the ls1 intake had. Nothing thick, less than an 1/8 inch or so that would compress when the intake was bolted down.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

por-15 is designed to go over bare metal only when used with acid wash supplied by por.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:41 PM
11 Second Club

Well not exactly. I have put it on a ton of metal objects and never used acid anything with great results. Paint over rust (POR). I have always just knocked the loose stuff off with paper or wire brush and go. I have a tanning bed rack I can take pictures of tonight. Plastic end caps (POR coated), frame (POR coated) and it looked like **** when I got it. Holding up great. Besides... I talked to POR directly when I took this on before even doing it. I don't pretend to know more than the MFG's about their products. That's where mistakes are made!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

In the pics you can see an end cap I had POR coated (plastic) compared to an uncoated end cap (was at the bottom so didn't bother). Also pics of the frame that had severe rust but looks pretty decent now. You have to really get up on the pieces to see the depressions where rust was knocked off and POR applied over. John Wayne toilet paper couldn't get that POR off the end cap and no flaking! You could scrape it with a screwdriver and maybe get it off with some work but it is tough!
Attached Thumbnails Black POR-15 on FAST intake-img_0372.jpg   Black POR-15 on FAST intake-img_0373.jpg   Black POR-15 on FAST intake-img_0375.jpg   Black POR-15 on FAST intake-img_0376.jpg  
Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Elemental designs has a paint on sound deadener that I'm going to pick up and try painting on the underside of the intake, and may even do the top as well to cut down on the hollow ticking sound.

Maybe I'm getting older, but I'm tired of hearing the 'normal' sounds these motors make with a set of heads, cam, headers and the FAST intake. Hell, I might even use it on the valve covers and see what happens.

I'll post pics when I'm done.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to hijack, where can i get this or do i have to order through por?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

E-Bay has some
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Elemental designs has a paint on sound deadener that I'm going to pick up and try painting on the underside of the intake, and may even do the top as well to cut down on the hollow ticking sound.

Maybe I'm getting older, but I'm tired of hearing the 'normal' sounds these motors make with a set of heads, cam, headers and the FAST intake. Hell, I might even use it on the valve covers and see what happens.

I'll post pics when I'm done.
I would like to know how this works out and where you can get the stuff from. I am getting kind of tired of the usual noises also.