Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Ram air is sucking up water and mud

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Free Ram air is sucking up water and mud

Hey guys,

I thought I'd post this as a warning to everyone, heads up, whatever you may call it.

I pulled my "lid" and SLP "bellows" off of my car to go truck shopping today. I can see where my lid, mass air and throttle body have calcium like deposits in them from where water has been finding it's way through the filter and into my throttle body. The K&N filter had a layer of dirt that filled the pleats of the filter completely (right above the hole from the free ram air). My car is driven around town and back and fourth to work as a daily driver. I have not run through any large puddles lately or ever that I can think of and the layer of deep dirt would be from more than one time of getting wet. It appears that the road spray is getting sucked into the intake, through the filter and clear into the motor. I don't consider this to be a good thing. I'm going to build up a baffle to go in there as soon as I have time and see what that does for me. I just thought I'd throw this out, I'm sure I'm not the only one that will find this once you pull the lid and look. Has anyone else found this with their car?
Old 11-16-2003, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wierd, I've had my free ram air for over a year and had NO issues with water or mud. I've even went thru water that went up to my doors, a F-350 going by me at 10mph (with water going over my t-tops), pulled into a gas station and checked EVERYTHING. the engine was soaked but the filter, MAF, throttle body was completly dry. I also have a daily driven, drive in rain all the time and I have had no issues with water or mud. my filter stays dry.
Old 11-16-2003, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

haven't had a problem in two years, and it rained alot this year, and yes mine is a daily driver.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:08 PM
wrencher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never had a prob either, maybe you should stop chasing the local cats thru the yards!
Old 11-16-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 10 Year

same here, filter gets dirty but u have to just clean it sooner, just dont let it stay in there for that long without cleaning it!!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 08:36 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only problem I have is the filter gets dirty a lot quicker. For the gains, I say it's worth it
Old 11-17-2003, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im running about the same set up with a fast toys ram air kit on it and i havent noticed any acumulation. just the filter is noticalby durtier above the slot for the ram air kit... thats weard... maby you can try some clean t-shirt fabrick under the air filter... sorda a pre filter.
Old 01-30-2004, 08:59 AM
TECH Regular

Could possibly be that the filter was extremly dirty and the small amounts of condinsation that gets to the filter from cold air(winter time) were not able to be soaked up by the filter because of it being so dirty.. Dunno, only think I can think of.. Ive never had any problems.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
The only problem I have is the filter gets dirty a lot quicker. For the gains, I say it's worth it
same here
Old 01-30-2004, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My filter gets dirty as hell like you said. Mud and dirt and road crap all over, never had a problem of any of it passing through the filter though. If it matters, I'm running a Holley filter.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I've read about occurances where people have driven through high water and had issues.

Moral of the story. Don't go plowing through standing water, and you should be fine.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

!FRA is a good mod. No water or anything ever got sucked into the filter except leaves.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

A few years ago when I first did the FRA mod my car was still a DD. I was somewhat wary, so I took it out on one of the nastiest, rainiest days I could find (didn't have to look far here in Seattle area ). I drove on the freeway next to big trucks, etc., and got thoroughly hosed down. Went home immmediately after a good soaking and pulled the lid and air filter. Filter was dry and I saw no evidence of moisture having gotten up more than a few inches past the air dam underneath. I also watched as the wife drove through shallow standing water and noticed that the spray created by the front tires was too far back to get into the intake area. I imagine that deep standing water or the like could cause a problem, but I never had experience with it.

Unfortunately, that doesn't help your problem...
Old 02-03-2004, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

I never sucked up water but the SLP Cold Air Induction that came with my car was "free" to vacuum up all kinds of dirt, debris, leaves, sticks. I put the BG Ram Air in and pulled that metal POS out and used sheet metal to plug the hole. Now my radiator is unschrouded, air is directed through it now. My filter is very clean and I get a functional Ram Air as well as a cooler engine. Plus I saved 9 pounds in the process.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

55,000+ miles on FRA and K&N with sealed lower air box. No problems! It rains alot here in SE MO and mine is a DD. I did go through a 5-6" deep, 50' long "puddle", at about 2 mph, and there was dirty water under the filter where the FRA cut was made BUT! No water past the filter.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Don't drive your car like you drive a submarine and you should be fine.

I've never had a problem with my FTRA in 29,000 miles of rain, snow and sun. Maybe you've got a leak somewhere else?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trackbird
Hey guys,

I thought I'd post this as a warning to everyone, heads up, whatever you may call it.

I pulled my "lid" and SLP "bellows" off of my car to go truck shopping today. I can see where my lid, mass air and throttle body have calcium like deposits in them from where water has been finding it's way through the filter and into my throttle body. The K&N filter had a layer of dirt that filled the pleats of the filter completely (right above the hole from the free ram air). My car is driven around town and back and fourth to work as a daily driver. I have not run through any large puddles lately or ever that I can think of and the layer of deep dirt would be from more than one time of getting wet. It appears that the road spray is getting sucked into the intake, through the filter and clear into the motor. I don't consider this to be a good thing. I'm going to build up a baffle to go in there as soon as I have time and see what that does for me. I just thought I'd throw this out, I'm sure I'm not the only one that will find this once you pull the lid and look. Has anyone else found this with their car?
I noticed something like mud getting caked up in the pleats on my Holley Powershot but figured I probably used to much oil last time. I didn't see any sign that anything got past the filter (looking in the lid) but didn't look any further.

Quick Reply: Free Ram air is sucking up water and mud