Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which intake for a serious street car
Fast 92/92
24.39%
Vic Jr. w/ elbow and TB
31.71%
Vic Jr. w/ 4 barrel TB
39.02%
Other options please list.
4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Victor Jr. on a street car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danhr
who says you can't run a 4 barrel throttle body on a street car?

you run a carb style hat that they use for carb. turbo/supercharged cars, and use that as an elbow and run that either to a filter or your lid.

come race time, take the wing nut off the hat, and just lift everything off, and instant race car!
nobody said you cant run a 4 barrel TB. In fact i said thats the only way i would run it. The hat in those pics look like a nice peice.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP, what are you actually building? Stock CI? Need more info to help any.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silverbeast
nobody said you cant run a 4 barrel TB. In fact i said thats the only way i would run it. The hat in those pics look like a nice peice.
Then I must be referring to the people who posted before you, and not you. Don't be so damn defensive!

additional note:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...ntake-s-2.html

guy mentions in this thread he picked up .9 and 9 mph switching from an elbow to a 4150 throttle body.

The way I see it, the hat style vs. the elbow is going to be about the same. but with the hat style, you have the option of taking the hat/intake off and making some killer power. and both setups will cost about the same. easy choice in my book.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by danhr
Then I must be referring to the people who posted before you, and not you. Don't be so damn defensive!
I just went back and reread this thread, and I did'nt see where anybody said you could'nt run a 4 barrel setup, so maybe next time you should'nt be so damn defensive. silverbeast just stated what he had said, I did'nt see where he was defensive at all.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
To the OP, what are you actually building? Stock CI? Need more info to help any.
That's the best reply in this whole thread.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blownws6_nc
I just went back and reread this thread, and I did'nt see where anybody said you could'nt run a 4 barrel setup, so maybe next time you should'nt be so damn defensive. silverbeast just stated what he had said, I did'nt see where he was defensive at all.
2nd post
Old 07-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
well whatever you do, do not use vic jr w/elbow, with that said all the others are good choices but if you do 4 barrel tb then your going to have to cut some of the cowl and there is not a good looking way to put an air cleaner on it
and well the fast is just to damn expensive

also if you don't mind cutting the cowl and removing your wipers check out the pro flo xt
this is the 2nd post and he is talking about the proflo xt when he says the comment about the wipers and such, he says nothing about not being able to run a 4 barrel setup. correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
well whatever you do, do not use vic jr w/elbow, with that said all the others are good choices but if you do 4 barrel tb then your going to have to cut some of the cowl and there is not a good looking way to put an air cleaner on it
and well the fast is just to damn expensive

also if you don't mind cutting the cowl and removing your wipers check out the pro flo xt
are you really going to hijack this thread just to prove some inate point?
Old 07-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Launching!

I don't mean to hijack the thread. you stated, who's says you cant run a 4 barrel intake. the guy with the second post said, the is no way to run a air cleaner on it that looks good, that goes to one's opinion. but I'm done argueing. to the op. do some research and go with what you like the best.
Old 07-26-2009, 02:33 PM
9 Second Club

If your staying stock CI I wouldn't go with the Victor set-up. If your going more cubes 370+ then I would recommend the Victor/4barrel set-up. The result difference between the elbow/tb set-up and the 4barrel set-up is an amazing difference. There's a whole thread about the elbow vs. 4 barrel. This set-up can make a bad *** street/strip setup but can be overkill for the stock CI in my opinion.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by StreetSilverado
If your staying stock CI I wouldn't go with the Victor set-up. If your going more cubes 370+ then I would recommend the Victor/4barrel set-up. The result difference between the elbow/tb set-up and the 4barrel set-up is an amazing difference. There's a whole thread about the elbow vs. 4 barrel. This set-up can make a bad *** street/strip setup but can be overkill for the stock CI in my opinion.
my plan is to do all bolt ons 1st, then do head cam setup. I would like to do some afr 215's or another head that would support a stroker, probably a 383 or a 402 LS2 and a custom cam.

the intake would be for the stroker setup. I like the look of the 4 barrel and the hat but i guess then you would need a sd tune because i didnt see any MAF on those setups.

another thing. is there any way to keep the cowl intact when you do a 4 barrel? and can you cut the cowl and keep the wipers?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

The 4 barrel set-up is nice and let's face it, it looks really bad *** on a street car (who would pass that up?). Anyway with that set-up I'd go with the Victor Jr. You do have to cut into the cowl a bit and you do need a Sunoco or wide sunoco hood for clearance. The sunoco has to be cut minor to close. Here's a picture of where I cut my windshield cowl. You can keep both of your wipers also, you have to cut into the passenger wiper just a tad but nothing serious (cut around 1 of the 3 bolts.)

Most people go back with a black liner around the cutting, but I don't have it on in the picture yet.

Originally Posted by MelScrilla
my plan is to do all bolt ons 1st, then do head cam setup. I would like to do some afr 215's or another head that would support a stroker, probably a 383 or a 402 LS2 and a custom cam.

the intake would be for the stroker setup. I like the look of the 4 barrel and the hat but i guess then you would need a sd tune because i didnt see any MAF on those setups.

another thing. is there any way to keep the cowl intact when you do a 4 barrel? and can you cut the cowl and keep the wipers?
Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just realize that when you get your cam OP your going to need to get a different cam spec'd for the vic jr. than for the fast. Lots of people used to complain that in a back to back intake test the vic was way behind the fast, but a lot of that is because they require different cam specs in order to run at their best.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stumprrp
how can a procharged car feel shitty down low with all that torque? lol

unless its a 13:1 comp with a 260 cam i think you will be fine with a fast intake, they are expensive but seem to have the best results.
A pro-charger and a roots type blower are two different animals. You have to spin a pro charger to get power/boost. They don't make power down low like a roots type would do.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

My car is pretty much a full bolt on, heads/cam and nitrous car. It sees very little street time and I'm in the process of getting everything I need to swap over from my ls6 intake to the victor jr. Everyone says it's over kill and will hurt you on stock cubes, but this is something I want to try out first hand for myself. Besides, I'm just doing this now so I can get all the upper part and new nitrous carb plate system setup for when I do go bigger cubes. Probably be about another year though before that happens. I just went to the track too so I'll be able to do direct comparisson between the two setups once I'm done
Old 07-27-2009, 11:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you go with the single plane intake and 4 bbl, get a cam designed to take advantage of it: cam needs more overlap than with a LS6/FAST, etc.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for all the advice. right now the poll is all tied, thats kinda crazy.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

what the polls say and what's been replied to on the thread appear to be two totally different things.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
If you go with the single plane intake and 4 bbl, get a cam designed to take advantage of it: cam needs more overlap than with a LS6/FAST, etc.
The cam I have right now is a 232/240 on a 112. You think it might work out alright for the meantime? When the new motor goes in it will have a custom cam for it, but right now I don't want to change anything else on my current setup other than the intake
Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rmata
The cam I have right now is a 232/240 on a 112. You think it might work out alright for the meantime? When the new motor goes in it will have a custom cam for it, but right now I don't want to change anything else on my current setup other than the intake
It will get you around until you get a cam cut for the intake. Your will hate the torque range until you do because the single plane intakes require a totaly different LSA profile to help with the low to midrange power curve.

Quick Reply: Victor Jr. on a street car?