Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Temp Gauge... Using Passanger Cyl. Head

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99huggerorangeZ
im not the one doing the install and i am totally confused lol. this is making me think twice about installing my gauges.
Yeah tell em about it hopefully my buddy knows what he is doing..
Old 08-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
is more like it
Not for me. I provided you with every possible option.

Heres my initial thoughts. Everyone said wow what a nice gauge, where can I get one. Probably what you said, then placed the order.

Instead of placing the order so fast you should have though about how each gauge is going to connect to the engine, ask the manufacturer if they supply the necessary fittings to install the senders on an LS1. (thats one option you still have).

So what do you do now....
The autometer adapter is an option (I wouldn't buy the steel universal fitting linked earlier because who knows if it has an ID near big enough for a sender).

Autometers long two wire full sweep sender works with the adapter, but comparing your pic to their pic it looks like theirs is smaller in diameter.

The first step I'd take at this point is call the manufacturer of the gauge and see what their solution is to get the sender into an LS1 cylinder head.

Second step is to find a local shop, buy the adapter, see if your sender fits. Try to return it if it doesn't. Don't do mail order because it'll be $8 to ship an $8 part and if it doesn't work it's not worth returning.

I thought I offered already, but can you measure the OD of that sender?
I'll compare it to the one that doesn't fit, if they're the same size you have an answer. If yours is smaller theres a possiblity it'll work.

Ok I measured mine, it's 8mm OD. Put that into a 12mm blank rod and you've got 2mm thickness all the way around it, then cut threads in it. It ends up pretty thin.

So...if your sender is 8mm or bigger you can throw out the idea of putting it in the head. Unless the manufacturer of this nifty setup used their brains and have a sender thats smaller. JMHO.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:48 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

i have 2277 sender in my hand (new in bag).if you want it i will give it to you free.my auto meter sender looks the same as the one you show in pics.let me know where to send it. 2002 ta 660hp ls7-4l85e-strange 60 . i dont care who is right or wrong just want to help you do install the right way.let me know.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

I do know this has helped me. Good luck with your install.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chevy-art
I do know this has helped me. Good luck with your install.
i am going to have my friend read this and see what he thinks i should do. He has put in some gauges before.....

Yup good luck to me
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

dont worry about it 2277 is on its way.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tals7
dont worry about it 2277 is on its way.
Thanks alot man i really appreciate it
Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by beedo
. TEFLON is your friend!!

dont know if this has been said but
they say not 2 use any teflon on electric gauge sensor
the sensor needs 2 get a ground through the block and the tape might not allow it 2 have a proper ground

atleast my VDO sensor was like that

Last edited by slammed1500; 08-11-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkBlueLS2
...I wouldn't buy the steel universal fitting linked earlier because who knows if it has an ID near big enough for a sender...

As I stated in a previous thread above, you need an "R" size letter drill to finish drilling out the last 1/4" of length to let the sensor probe extend thru the fitting.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Welp thanks to TALS7 he sent me the Autometer part!!!

And with the knowledge of DarkBlueLS2, he is correct. My sending unit is to wide for the Autometer adapter.... It would need to be drilled out. But like DarkBlueLS2 stated the wall is thin and i do not want it to snap off in my head...

So where do i go from here? I do not want to put it in my TB BY PASS LINE. I want the actaul temp; in the head.....

I think i will call the company up tomorrow and see if i can get the correct measurement for the adapter that i need.. Or i can go to www.fittingsandadapters.com like Weezzer suggested and maybe find one that will fit my head????? If i go that route what length will i need the adapter to be?

I am open to more ideas now

Thanks again TALS7
Old 08-13-2009, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Welp thanks to TALS7 he sent me the Autometer part!!!

And with the knowledge of DarkBlueLS2, he is correct. My sending unit is to wide for the Autometer adapter.... It would need to be drilled out. But like DarkBlueLS2 stated the wall is thin and i do not want it to snap off in my head...

So where do i go from here? I do not want to put it in my TB BY PASS LINE. I want the actaul temp; in the head.....

I think i will call the company up tomorrow and see if i can get the correct measurement for the adapter that i need.. Or i can go to www.fittingsandadapters.com like Weezzer suggested and maybe find one that will fit my head????? If i go that route what length will i need the adapter to be?

I am open to more ideas now

Thanks again TALS7
The problem is with the size of the sender, no matter what adapter you get you are still going to have two problems.
1. Sender OD too big.
2. Hole in cly head too small.

So no matter what you do, if you put that sender in your cly head whatever adapter you use is going to have the same wall thickness.

If you trust steel over brass, then go for it, it's still going to be the same thickness.

You could get a longer adapter that will work, but it's going to move the sender further away from the coolant resulting in incorrect readings, which would be less accurate than the tb line.

If you're dead set on putting that sender in the head, take the damn head off and have someone drill and tap a larger hole in it. Period, done.
Then you can use a reliable thick wall adapter thats not going to break, the sender will be in contact with coolant, etc.

Do you get the point? No matter how you look at it you're trying to put a sender of X diameter through a hole of X ID, the thickness of the adapter is going to be the same no matter what.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

What if you try what I mentioned before?

Originally Posted by MOBE
There is a drain plug on the pass. side of the block behind the starter. You have to unbolt the 2 bolts that hold on the starter and drop it to get access. This is where I installed mine. No problems with it. You will need a 1/8" - M16 x 1.5 adapter.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

my vdo sendor fit in the head perfect with no adaptor

maybe see what type of sendor your gauge takes and then see if vdo offers that type of sendor in 12mm for the head

Last edited by slammed1500; 08-14-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Smile

you could return your gage and run a auto meter full sweep like mine then will work for sure. am part is nice it has pre made wire harnes that goes from gage to sender(plug and play).
Old 08-14-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

if i take the plug out of the passenger side head and find an adapter that will work with my sending unit what type of measurements will i need? When you take the plug out, could you stick a screwdriver in there and bottom out on something?

How long should the adapter be inside the head?

I know the adapter needs to be 12mm 1.5 (OD) and 1/8" NPT (ID) how long?

I never did measuer my sending unit.

And i will call the company today to see if they have a solution....
Old 08-14-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

I called up the manufacturer they are working on a solution for me.

I gave the the dimension i need the adapter to be to fit their sending unit..

12mm x 1.5mm male (OD) 1/8'' NPT female (ID)

Originally Posted by DarkBlueLS2
Ok I measured mine, it's 8mm OD. Put that into a 12mm blank rod and you've got 2mm thickness all the way around it, then cut threads in it. It ends up pretty thin.

So...if your sender is 8mm or bigger you can throw out the idea of putting it in the head. Unless the manufacturer of this nifty setup used their brains and have a sender thats smaller. JMHO.
I got a measurment on the sending unit, the part w/o the threads measure 7.6mm
Old 08-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

I called up the manufacturer they are working on a solution for me.

I gave the the dimension i need the adapter to be to fit their sending unit..

12mm x 1.5mm male (OD) 1/8'' NPT female (ID)

I got a measurment on the sending unit, the part w/o the threads measure 7.6mm
They really need to do what Autometer did and make a sender with a smaller OD.
FWIW, my 2259 sender with the 2277 adapter does not extend into the water jacket. The 2259 sender is just a short threaded part, the whole sender is the same length as just the threads on your sender. The end of the 2259 is exposed to a very small amount of coolant.
The point is, the sender doesn't extend through the adapter so the adapter remains thick through the cly head yet the hole is big enough for Autometers full sweep sender.

So I guess you could use an adapter thats so long that it leaves the senders end at the end just outside of the head.

Thats how the 2277/2259 is positioned, and IMO it seems to read low.
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I got my sending unit to work with the autometer adapter! I took an 19/64 drill bit and drilled it out. Started off at .250 and took off .23 on both sides leaving the wall .296 thick. The sending is a little snug but it fits! I will take pics and ppost it later. The sending barely sticks past the autometer adapter!
Old 08-15-2009, 01:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ that post was made from my phone. Sorry it was crappy. But i will take pics of the adapter and sending unit in the morning..
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is the pic...

This is the sending unit that came with my kit and this is the Autometer adapter P/N 2277

Quick Reply: Water Temp Gauge... Using Passanger Cyl. Head