Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

descreening MAF really lower A4 pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default descreening MAF really lower A4 pressure?

Just what it says, I descreened it Saturday because I was board after being impressed with blue knights video and thought why not....then I see that one member said it lowers tranny pressure in an A4, Damn, Don't really care about the debat on added horsepower at this point, I just need to know am I shortening the life of my transmission. If it does I won't drive it any more until I get a screen. By the way the car runs beautifully with no problems, after I did it.

Thanks for your help.

Zach
Old 08-16-2009, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay let me say it another way, can I hear from the A4 owners who have descreened...any tranny issues, I just drove mine and i don't see much of a difference, if at all. I have read some threads and they never give a difinitive answer. I don't have a lot of money and would rather error on the side of caution? Any help guys lets hear it.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A MAF and transmission pressure are totally unreleated systems. The argument of relation would be like one of those six degrees of separation coincidences, yeah you may "know" a person through a friend of a friend of an aquaintence, but do you really know them?

In a word, it won't make a difference.

if you descreen, you potentially allow more air into the engine and in turn make more power (or you technically allow unmetered air) and run slightly leaner and may make more power or cause detonation. How this lowers transmission pressure? God knows.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think the theory goes that it slows the air down coming in and fools the engine into believing that it isn't working as hard as it actually is. and therefor does not give the transmission enough pressure in the lines for the power put out by the engine. Now the question is does it really happen or happen enough to cause damage.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

Mine has been descreened/ported for at least 40k, and my tranny is at 140k. I have driven the car from 16-20 if that gives you an idea of how hard it has been driven... haha. My tuner told me I was running lean as HELL when it came in because of the ported maf.. but that was fixed with the dynotune and hasnt been a problem at all.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A low-reading MAF error will pull pressure because the
pressure comes from Delivered Torque calcs and the
cylinder air charge is one big chunk of that.

Descreening may change the MAF reading in either
direction, all depending on the inlet tract and how it
biases airflow across the MAF face. Stock cal presumes
an even distribution, which the "screen" enforces (at
the cost of heinous top-end pressure drop).

Now, by the time I was descreening MAFs I was
already into trans tuning and put the pressure profile
how I wanted it (all in, a lot earlier than stock). Once
you have the tools, you can break that "coupling".