Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreen MAF with K&N FIPK??

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:20 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
I just clicked on it, works for me. If your at work, filters may be keeping you from watching it.
do you have another link?
I guess that site just aint workin for me.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HTX
do you have another link?
I guess that site just aint workin for me.
No, sorry. Basically it shows that de screening the maf will give you 3/4 of a car length by the end of the quarter. and Porting and polishing your Throttle body will give you about 3/4 of a car length as well. So together it would give you 1 and 1/2 car lengths to descreen your maf and port and polish your throttle body, or basically about 1 and 1/2 tenths in the quarter mile.

Then we put on the SLP cold air intake on my brother's car and it gave him a 1 and 1/2 car length lead by the end of the quarter, or again about 1 and 1/2 tenths in the quarter. So all together those three mods would give you about 3 tenths in the quarter. So for only $265 that's a difference of running a 13.2 or 12.9 Keep in mind these runs were all done at 4,000 + ft. At Sea Level the gains would be even higher if I were to predict.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

i agree with Frost on this one.... just leave the MAF as is, unless you're gonna be re-tuning AFTER you de-screen it. These things are sensitive and any changes to the sensor itself will change the way it reads incoming air.

sotp gains or not, you're still screwing up your tune.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001ws6-500hp
0% true, we have ported dozens of mafs at our shop, every single time the owner reported seat of the pants gains. 0 ruined mafs.
op, take it to someone who knows what theyre doin. not one of these guys who herd from their brothers neihbors son that it will screw it up.

Oh God, & from Ohio to boot. Please stop it, you're embarrassing us. What's the name of your shop; so that we can warn others.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Oh God, & from Ohio to boot. Please stop it, you're embarrassing us. What's the name of your shop; so that we can warn others.
how u figure? our cars are way too rich if u ask me on a stock tune. do a throttlebody and maf, and it drops u well over a tenth in the quarter. why the hell not???? guess what the maf in the later years came form gm without screens!!! cmon now
Old 08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how u figure? our cars are way too rich if u ask me on a stock tune. do a throttlebody and maf, and it drops u well over a tenth in the quarter. why the hell not???? guess what the maf in the later years came form gm without screens!!! cmon now

Read slowly......the dispute is with your comment regarding PORTING. You seem so ready to argue with people that you aren't reading the thread. What's noted is how porting a MAF makes it junk. No-one has disputed the effectiveness that de-screening can have. Only thing noted regarding de-screening it that it's best to re-scale the MAF table afterward.
Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sotp, thts my data
That is what I expected you would say.

If you ever do any actual testing (not something subjective like "I feels it") you will understand the issue of repeatability.

If you think porting the MAF gained you ANYTHING, try doing it on a car that already had the screen out and see what you get. You will need to use a more refined instrument than a butt-dyno though. Also note what happens to fueling below 5KHz reported... and then think of how those compounding trims will affect WOT.

Quick Reply: Descreen MAF with K&N FIPK??