Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Output alternator (HO alt) = better MPG

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Bearcatt, too bad you don't live closer...I would LOVE to see how you car rides and drives with the Konis on 1LE springs. We have similar setups, except I am on regular stock springs and Bilsteins. What do you have your Konis set at and how's it ride just tooling around?

Someday, We'll be probably moving out of California or to Northern Cal.
I've considered Texas and other states. I would like to move to a state
that has no emission requirements. lol

I don't think you will really notice much a difference with the 1LE
vs stock springs.

I have the fronts about have way between full soft and stiff. The rear I have set about 1/4 of the way from full soft. ( I like the rear to squat. Since than I've pretty much set it and forgot it. The Konis rides nice. The Falken RT615 Azenis tires are like bricks with the super stiff side wall. They make a great road racing tire and very predictable. But the ride is horribly harsh. lol

Old 09-01-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

I've got a PowerMaster 200amp alt.( pt#58203) and I never noticed better MPG.

Did you perform any maintenance at all about the same time you changed the Alternator?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting thread...
More so is the thread on coils
Old 09-01-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

hehe

Now that I have become obsessed with alternators...

I've found that most if not all the Alternator vendors or resellers,
even GM most likely, all use components from a company called WAI.
http://www.waiglobal.com/index.html
The electronics are under the name Transpo.

Knowing what the parts and part numbers gives one the opportunity to build
thier own Alternator with the parts they want. Or at least have it built to you spec.
The output is all in the stator.

Maybe I can build my own and save $100+ dollars and have fun doing it.

Here's a nice kit.
http://www.springhillautoelectric.co...d&productId=39

I would like to go with 160amp stator instead. I think 200amps + is to much for my needs.
I don't have a big amplifier or audio system. My objective is to power my racetronix hotwire kit and pump and then go with a Mezzaire Electric water pump in the future.

Last edited by bearcatt; 09-04-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 121 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Jmilz28, you wouldn't happen to have a underdrive pulley would you. I'm real tempted to hit this buy button. My stocker just can not handle the headlights and stereo system ever sense I put the UD pulley on.
Nope, no UD pulley. UD pullies are a PITA IMO!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
I've got a PowerMaster 200amp alt.( pt#58203) and I never noticed better MPG.

Did you perform any maintenance at all about the same time you changed the Alternator?
None, sir. Oil change and all filters were handled before I even did the baseline MPGs calcs. These OEM spark plugs and wires have about 80k on 'em, too. This may have fixed a minor issue or sub-spec condition that I didn't realize. That's the only other possibility I can see but that still supports the theory that giving the fuel and spark side more juice help those systems perform ideally.

Keep in mind too, these are not unheard of MPGs for these cars, just I was on the low side before and now it's on the good side of the normal range.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bearcatt
hehe

Now that I have become obsessed with alternators...

I've found that most if not all the Alternator vendors or resellers,
even GM most likely, all use components from a company called WAI.
The electronics are under the name Transpo.

Knowing what the parts and part numbers gives one the opportunity to build
thier own Alternator with the parts they want. Our at least have it built to you spec.
The output is all in the stator.

Maybe I can build my own and save $100+ dollars and have fun doing it.

Here's a nice kit.

I would like to go with 160amp stator instead. I think 200amps + is to much for my needs.
I don't have a big amplifier an audio system. My objective is to power my racetronix hotwire kit and pump and then go with a Mezzaire Electric water pump in the future.

There is no kill like ******* OVERkill...
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no kill like ******* OVERkill...
You're probably right but I don't want to change all my cables again.
Plus what about the extra heat ?

Edit ... fuggit, I forgot I have 2 guage already.

Last edited by bearcatt; 09-02-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

None, sir. Oil change and all filters were handled before I even did the baseline MPGs calcs. These OEM spark plugs and wires have about 80k on 'em, too. This may have fixed a minor issue or sub-spec condition that I didn't realize. That's the only other possibility I can see but that still supports the theory that giving the fuel and spark side more juice help those systems perform ideally.

Keep in mind too, these are not unheard of MPGs for these cars, just I was on the low side before and now it's on the good side of the normal range.
Bingo.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ShortChevy
Jmilz28, you wouldn't happen to have a underdrive pulley would you. I'm real tempted to hit this buy button. My stocker just can not handle the headlights and stereo system ever sense I put the UD pulley on.
I've got a full system, under drive pulley, and its cammed and I haven't had any issues with my stock alternator, knock on wood and it has 80,000 miles on it. I'm running an optima yellow top battery though, I wonder if that helps?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Bingo.
Possible but I kinda doubt it. Delco plugs and wires ain't the absolute hottest but they are damned reliable. I would refresh them in the next 10k but I got a new motor comin' soon...

I don't worry about the heat. The better parts should be able to handle it, plus the bigger wiring should help keep things a bit cooler by lowering resistance. As far as heat, I am much more concerned about the starter and its proximity to the headers.

An Optima always helps. They aren't what they used to be, but they are still the best widely available battery by a longshot IMHO.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Possible but I kinda doubt it. Delco plugs and wires ain't the absolute hottest but they are damned reliable. I would refresh them in the next 10k but I got a new motor comin' soon...

I don't worry about the heat. The better parts should be able to handle it, plus the bigger wiring should help keep things a bit cooler by lowering resistance. As far as heat, I am much more concerned about the starter and its proximity to the headers.

An Optima always helps. They aren't what they used to be, but they are still the best widely available battery by a longshot IMHO.
Replacing plugs and wires that have 80k miles on them is going to make your car run much better than it was. I agree with your theory about more spark, fuel pressure, etc. but running a set of plugs for 80k miles is just crazy.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't understand why so many people have trouble with alternators. I have a stock PepBoys alternator and a 4 year old AC Delco OEM battery. 1,000 watt stereo with a 12" woofer and 6 Matts speakers. 427ci, under drive pulley, 11 1/2 year old factory spark plug wires and original coils too.........and at idle with my A/C blasting and headlights on with my stereo cranking heavy bass music....nothing at all happens, nothing dims, no movement at all on my gauge.

Whats the deal?????

Old 09-02-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Guys,

Optima Batteries are old news eventhough I still have a redtop.

Odyssey batteries are now supposed to be the best.
http://www.qualitypowerauto.com/catalog.php?category=14

They also make them for Sears called the Diehard Platinum Series.

------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the alternator I have decided on.
Whoever packages it, I don't care as long as it has
the parts and specifications listed below.

Delco cs130d 220 Amp High Output Alternator
http://www.springhillautoelectric.co...d&productId=71

Idle Output: 14.5Volts, 105Amps
Max Output: 14.5Volts, 220Amps @ 1500 RPM
Build Specifications:

High Output Stator
- Precision Wound
- Double Insulated
Rectifier
- OE validated, 50A avalanche, 13mm press-fit diodes
- Welded diode terminations
- Hi-temperature lead frame
- Patented "Ram-Air" aluminum heat sink
Voltage Regulator
- Heavy Duty ASVR Design
- OE compliant functions & performance:
- current limiting, thermal shutdown, load dump protection, shorted field & lamp circuit protection
- Welded construction - no solder joints for hi-temperature reliability & increased field life
Front & Rear Bearings
- Double sealed w/ high temp grease

------------------------------------------------------------------

Might just go for the rebuild kit.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
I don't understand why so many people have trouble with alternators. I have a stock PepBoys alternator and a 4 year old AC Delco OEM battery. 1,000 watt stereo with a 12" woofer and 6 Matts speakers. 427ci, under drive pulley, 11 1/2 year old factory spark plug wires and original coils too.........and at idle with my A/C blasting and headlights on with my stereo cranking heavy bass music....nothing at all happens, nothing dims, no movement at all on my gauge.

Whats the deal?????

It's all in the quality of components used in the alternator... i.e. stator, regulator, rectifier and bearing. Just because it's Pepboys doesn't neccesarily mean it's bad.

On the other hand, if you were a gambling man, it might be to your advantage
to enter a poker tournament or play the rollette wheel. lol

Old 09-02-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How can this be? A 235 amp alternator for like 300$!? Yet when dominic irragi sells his for around 600 for a 300/105 at idle alternator ohio gen sells theirs for about the same. Trust me I've been into the car audio game for a longgggg time and I've had one of irragi's altenators thing was baddddasss but it cost me an arm and a leg. If their claims are true and it does infact put out 100 amps at idle I'M ALL OVER IT LOL!
Old 09-02-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by onebadazzls1ta
How can this be? A 235 amp alternator for like 300$!? Yet when dominic irragi sells his for around 600 for a 300/105 at idle alternator ohio gen sells theirs for about the same. Trust me I've been into the car audio game for a longgggg time and I've had one of irragi's altenators thing was baddddasss but it cost me an arm and a leg. If their claims are true and it does infact put out 100 amps at idle I'M ALL OVER IT LOL!

During my search pursuits Irragi's name comes up occasionally.
Here's a link to an alternator on his fleebay store.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/220a-...Q5fAccessories

The WAI watermark logo in the alternator picture is basically the same alternator just about everyone else sells. WAI is the manufacture, so I like everyone else has to buy from a dealer. Sort of like you have to go through a Chevy dealer to buy your new Vette, Silverado or Camaro.

Here's the WAI link.

I seems to me Irragi's prices are little above the competitive price for an apples to apples comparison. Plus he doesn't mention or list the internal parts that come in his alternators.

Flat out: $600 for a 300/105 would be a ripoff !

Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure!
It's a 98 LS1 Camaro and as you can see from the miles, it's my DD. I got the unit off ebay from AlterStart out of Dallas. It's a 200amp Load Boss and does 110amps at 800 RPM idle. They were very responsive and friendly and shipped quickly.

I expected a difference, I just didn't think it would be so much, so soon. I was thinking 1 MPG or so but this was noticeable immediately. I actually put several tanks through it before posting to make sure it wasn't a fluke. This is in Texas heat too, it may even get better as it cools off.

I do have an audio system but it's moderately sized, under a kilowatt total RMS.

This thing really was a problem sover, as advertised. Let me know what else you'd like to know!
that customer service goes away when you have a problem. i have an alterstart sitting on my bench collecting dust after they fixed it once it worked for a week then didnt reply to my messages then second time.
Old 09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone make a 180-200 amp rebuild kit? and where are these wire upgrade kits? i have all 4 gauge on my car now.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
anyone make a 180-200 amp rebuild kit? and where are these wire upgrade kits? i have all 4 gauge on my car now.
There is a company in Florida that sells 220 amp kits with the best WAI parts you can get.

Quick Reply: High Output alternator (HO alt) = better MPG