Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pi$$3d off neighbors need exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 06:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure what the emissions laws in your area are, but I say, throw on some cats and tell them its 50 State Legal. It'll still be loud, but as long as you're not redlining it at sunrise, they should have to understand. It's your car and you get to decide what it sounds like. If after that, they decide to involve the authorities, just try to be as considerate and mature about it as possible, but don't give an inch. Explain your side and let them be the ones who loose their cool. If the cops still side with them, I guess its time to move. Good luck, man.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a minimum add some cats, and the consider replacing the loudmouth with a borla 5" round.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lt's with cats and cutout on stock cat back system.

Open the cutout and it screams at wot.Love it.

Cutout closed,I can't hear my exhaust.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Yeah i would just switch to magnaflow i love mine.

My setup is:

1 7/8" headers to 3" y pipe to flowmaster merge with 4" outlet (i pipe) with a 4" DMH electronic cutout, then a reducer from 4" to 3" going into my magnaflow

Magnaflow is very 'in tune' sounding, not very loud, but the second i open that cut out. watch out.

In my opinion its the best of both worlds. Not to mention, it keeps people from hassling me.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
they should have to understand. It's your car and you get to decide what it sounds like
I 100% disagree. They do not have "understand" when he is infringing on them. That's like saying smokers should be able to smoke at work, and everyone should just "understand".

He can not visit his, self proclaimed, overly loud car on the rest of the world and just say "deal with it". (Which he isn't saying thankfully.)

I personally found a the quietest/best muffler I had experience with and also took my exhaust all the way out the back (dumps = loud). I have no issues what so ever because I am respectful, even though my neighbors are always as courteous to me.....

I also found that with a quiet exhaust, I could have more fun. I had a loud exhaust before and everyone could hear me 3-4 blocks before I arrived. Police were on my back, even driving totally normally I would draw attention. I put on a quiet exhaust and everyone left me a lone and I had more fun driving if I wanted to step on it a little. I would give up 20hp to have a silent exhaust in a heartbeat!!! Make the car more enjoyable to everyone, including yourself......
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just take it easy when you are leaving the neighborhood. There is literally nothing they can do but you want to be nice to them just in case you need something.

Magnaflow is pretty good. I enjoy mine and its pretty quiet under 2500 RPMs.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
I 100% disagree. They do not have "understand" when he is infringing on them. That's like saying smokers should be able to smoke at work, and everyone should just "understand".

He can not visit his, self proclaimed, overly loud car on the rest of the world and just say "deal with it". (Which he isn't saying thankfully.)

I personally found a the quietest/best muffler I had experience with and also took my exhaust all the way out the back (dumps = loud). I have no issues what so ever because I am respectful, even though my neighbors are always as courteous to me.....

I also found that with a quiet exhaust, I could have more fun. I had a loud exhaust before and everyone could hear me 3-4 blocks before I arrived. Police were on my back, even driving totally normally I would draw attention. I put on a quiet exhaust and everyone left me a lone and I had more fun driving if I wanted to step on it a little. I would give up 20hp to have a silent exhaust in a heartbeat!!! Make the car more enjoyable to everyone, including yourself......

One of my neighbors mentioned somthing about my car a year ago. Since then I had put a cam in it. My wife had been layed off of work since nov. Now she's workin again and she has to drive her car. So I can't take the chance everyday running it dodging police. I'm respectful to people unless u drive a mustang/ honda with a fart cannon. Then u hear my true sound. It would be nicer to get on it a little and not worry about the police 4 red lights down.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Well seems like its more the "start up" then the "driving" since you said, you go to work at 5am. I would add cats, then swap it to a Loudmouth 2 for a cheaper route. Although, Magnaflow would be the good choice or like someone said the dual/dual muffler. It'll be nice and quiet, but i think it flows like ****. That's why i ditched it.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Just take it easy when you are leaving the neighborhood. There is literally nothing they can do but you want to be nice to them just in case you need something.

Magnaflow is pretty good. I enjoy mine and its pretty quiet under 2500 RPMs.
Every morning when I leave I put my car in drive and let it pull itself. It has never got up above 1200rpms in my neighborhood. . Rarely do I ever get it up above 2000. Drivin down the highway runnin 55.
Magnaflo seems like everyones choice
Old 09-22-2009, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Well seems like its more the "start up" then the "driving" since you said, you go to work at 5am. I would add cats, then swap it to a Loudmouth 2 for a cheaper route. Although, Magnaflow would be the good choice or like someone said the dual/dual muffler. It'll be nice and quiet, but i think it flows like ****. That's why i ditched it.
Which one u talkin about that doesn't flo good magnaflo or the dual dual. Or both.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like they said before:

Stock catback and E-cutout.

Could even get a high flow cat on there too. (not sure how it would sound)

I really get a kick out of my exhaust cutout, I can adjust the sound to however I want at the time. (it really saves your sanity when you DON'T want a loud car.. like in your case right now.)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol. this is about the same as my story.
when i had a daily work beater 94 civic hatch that was as loud as a pocket burner could get they complained. so i bought my camaro and really got under their skin. they called the cops 23 out of 30 days in july 07. that next march i bought a 96 kawasaki vulcan 1500 with straight pipes.
more cops.... even tried to go after me in court for my current truck when i FIRST got my flowmasters on.

i took in pics to court and showed the judge that the truck cant be as loud as they say, i have an "extra" muffler...
charge dropped, but the disorderly conduct stuck.lol

the disorderly conduct was because I put up a BRIGHT neon green poster board sighn that informed our neighborhood that he was a convicted rapist.

i like to sometimes get my dad and a few of his pals that have harleys over for a test n' tune night at my place.... the police really like my dad sporty. lol, sick neighbors lose. again.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by shtnfrds
i like to sometimes get my dad and a few of his pals that have harleys over for a test n' tune night at my place.... the police really like my dad sporty. lol, sick neighbors lose. again.
LOL, 'test n tune at your place' that gave me a great vision of some really REALLY pissed of neighbors.

And OP, when you go to work at 5AM, your old neighbors are the only people who are awake to hear your car and they just want something to bitch about because they have nothing else to do until bedtime at 6PM. You are disturbing their 4AM cup of coffee and dosage of metamucil.

I would just do a muffler swap on your loudmouth, cheapest way to do it. Maybe add some cats if you have some extra cash, or get a magnaflow catback like many others have said. I hope everything goes well!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

The OP actually sounds like a nice guy who is trying to do the right thing to keep peace in his neighborhood.

For those of you asking about emissions laws, those are federal; they apply whether or not your state or locality has an inspection program. If you don't have cats, the cops can nail your a$$ to the wall...don't push your luck.

Noise regulations are different than pollution emissions. The OP does not list his location, but in many states (such as FL where I live), it is technically illegal to do anything to make your car louder than stock, even if it does not effect pollution emissions. The "50 state legal" claims only apply to the pollution part, but may still violate state or local noise regulations.

For the most part, the police around here won't bother you unless you are obnoxiously loud, cause them grief, or they get complaints. Your best bet is to try to be cool and try to fly below the radar.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get a magnaflow for like $80 off ebay.

Flow doesnt matter unless you are thinking about a "flow"master. They are utter garbage but sound good.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to start an arguement here, but I feel the need to respond to this post.

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
That's like saying smokers should be able to smoke at work, and everyone should just "understand".

No. It is not like saying smokers should be able to smoke at work. He is on his property when he starts his car in the morning. If there is no risk of physical harm to anyone, you are allowed to do whatever you please when you are at your home. Yes. I'm sure it is annoying, as is smoking. (Disgusting habit!) But no one is allowed to tell me what I am supposed to do with my property, on my property. One of the nice things about this country.

Again, as long as he is being respectful and not letting the car idle loudly for an extended amount of time or revving it before he leaves, he should be able to have whatever kind of sound coming from his pipes that he chooses.

To the O.P. If you like your exhaust loud, keep it and be prepared to fight for it. If you would rather quiet it down, do so by your own choice. Not by the crying of others.

All these guys have some great suggestions and there are some great catbacks out there that are much quieter than Loudmouth. A friend of mine has Magnaflow on his 98 Z28, and my brother has factory installed SLP Dual/Dual on his 02 35th Ann. SS. Both cars currently have Jet Hot LT's and ORY's and both are definitely quieter than my car with the exhaust thats in my signature. Good luck with your choice.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts

^^ What he said....make sure it's your decision and not someone else's!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

I have a similar set up to you. MS4, milled heads, LT, ORY and LM1. It is stupid loud. I leave at 5:45 every morning to and my neighbors are also complaining about the start up. I def feel for them. I told them I was trying to save to get it fixed but it would take time I've moved it up the street from the ones that complained but I know it is a matter of time before someone take "fixing the problem" in to their own hands and I have a destroyed car. I believe confuzed had someone pour sand in to his 408 nitrous motor. Which is something that the ppl saying f*** the neighbors probably aren't thinking about. At least they had the ***** to say something to you instead of just calling the cops or vandalizing your car.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I don't want to start an arguement here, but I feel the need to respond to this post.

No. It is not like saying smokers should be able to smoke at work. He is on his property when he starts his car in the morning. If there is no risk of physical harm to anyone, you are allowed to do whatever you please when you are at your home. Yes. I'm sure it is annoying, as is smoking. (Disgusting habit!) But no one is allowed to tell me what I am supposed to do with my property, on my property. One of the nice things about this country.

Again, as long as he is being respectful and not letting the car idle loudly for an extended amount of time or revving it before he leaves, he should be able to have whatever kind of sound coming from his pipes that he chooses.

To the O.P. If you like your exhaust loud, keep it and be prepared to fight for it. If you would rather quiet it down, do so by your own choice. Not by the crying of others.

All these guys have some great suggestions and there are some great catbacks out there that are much quieter than Loudmouth. A friend of mine has Magnaflow on his 98 Z28, and my brother has factory installed SLP Dual/Dual on his 02 35th Ann. SS. Both cars currently have Jet Hot LT's and ORY's and both are definitely quieter than my car with the exhaust thats in my signature. Good luck with your choice.
Careful before you hand out such advice. This comes from laws in your state...

http://articles.directorym.com/Noise...5210-Iowa.html
Are noisy neighbors breaking the law?
You bet. Almost every community prohibits excessive, unnecessary, and unreasonable noise, and police enforce these laws. To find your municipality's noise rules, look up the local ordinances.

How to Find Local Ordinances and State Laws
You can probably find your local ordinances online. Most cities' and counties' website addresses follow these formats:

County: www.co.<county name>.<state postal code>.us (e.g., www.co.alameda.ca.us)
City: www.ci.<city name>.<state postal code>.us (e.g., www.ci.berkeley.ca.us).
Your state website also may have links to cities and counties.

If your city's website does not include the text of local ordinances, you may be able to find local laws on one of these sites:

State and Local Government on the Net (www.statelocalgov.net)
The Municipal Code Corporation (www.municode.com ).
If you don't have success with the Internet, your local laws may be available at your local public library or the city or county law library (usually located near the courthouse). Your local public library or office of the city attorney, mayor, or city manager can provide information on local ordinances that cover noise, fences, trees, views and other common neighbor issues.

You also can search your state laws for noise regulations. You can find your state's laws at Nolo's Legal Research Center or at FindLaw.

Most local noise ordinances designate certain "quiet hours" -- for example, from 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. on weekdays and until 8 or 9 a.m. on weekends. So running a power mower may be perfectly acceptable at 10 a.m. on Saturday, but not at 7 a.m. Some universally disturbing sounds are commonly banned or restricted. For instance, most cities prohibit honking car horns unless there is danger. This means that the daily early morning tooting across the street for the carpool is a violation. Dogs and motorcycles may also be singled out.

Many towns also prohibit sustained noise that exceeds a certain decibel level. The decibel limits are set according to the time of day and the neighborhood zoning. When a neighbor complains, police place decibel level monitoring equipment on an estimated property line and take a reading.

How should I approach my neighbor about a noise problem?
There are two common reactions to noise coming from a neighbor. The first is resignation. You hate the noise, but you do nothing. The second is anger. You lose your temper and call the cops. There are better ways to handle the situation.

Approach the neighbor. Raising a problem with a neighbor is not easy. But it should always be the first step and, if done with respect and sensitivity, may be the last. Often the neighbor is unaware of a problem -- for instance, the dog barks only when nobody is home. Assume that the neighbor doesn't know and would like to be told.

Warn the neighbor. If complaining doesn't work, get a copy of your local noise ordinance as explained above. Send a copy to the neighbor with a note repeating your request to keep the noise down and explaining that you'll be forced to notify the authorities if you don't get results. Be sure to provide details on the problem, including the dates and times of the noise.

If you rent or live in a planned development, send a copy of the lease agreement or special rules (usually called Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) to the neighbor. If that doesn't work, report the problem to the landlord or homeowners' association in writing. Especially if several tenants complain at the same time, the landlord will probably order the tenant to quiet down or face eviction.

Suggest mediation. If you value the neighbor relationship at all, or just want peace in the future, give mediation a try. You and the neighbor can sit down together with an impartial mediator and resolve your own problems. Mediation services are available in most cities and often they are free. Simply call the mediation center, and it will then contact the neighbor for you.

Call the police. Still no response from the neighbor? Stereo turned up another notch? Now is the time to bring in the police (or, if the problem is a barking dog, the Animal Control Department). If you have tried to solve the problem yourself, the police will know your complaint is serious and that you need help.

Try to notify the police while the noise is continuing, so they can measure the noise or hear it for themselves. (Some people simply hold the phone out the window.) Sometimes cities won't act until the noise affects two or more persons, to prevent complaints from excessively sensitive people.

Sue for nuisance. As a last resort, you can sue in small claims court. It's easy and inexpensive, and you don't need a lawyer.

Can I sue a noisy neighbor?
If your neighbor keeps disturbing you, you can sue, and ask the court for money damages or to order the neighbor to stop the noise ("abate the nuisance," in legal terms). For money damages alone, you can use small claims court. For a court order telling somebody to stop doing something, you'll probably have to sue in regular court.

Of course, what you really want is for the nuisance to stop. But getting a small claims court to order your neighbor to pay you money can be amazingly effective. And suing in small claims court is easy, inexpensive, and doesn't require a lawyer.

To win, you'll need to show:

There is excessive and disturbing noise.
The person you are suing is either creating the noise or is the landlord and therefore responsible.
Your enjoyment of your home is affected.
You have asked the person to stop the noise.
To prove your case, use police reports, witnesses, your own testimony, or even a recording.

How much money should you sue for? In most states, small claims courts limit judgments to between $2,500 and $7,500. Requesting $20 a day for your trouble would probably be considered reasonable. If the noise problem is really severe -- keeping you from sleeping or working and making you completely frazzled -- make it $100 a day.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:35 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have three neighbors (one on each side & one behind). Thankfully, they're all cool about my car. The one neighbor is older, and I pretend to not notice that she lets her dog out into my side yard to take a ****. So, I think we have a "gentleman's agreement" there. The neighbor on the other side runs a screenprinting shop out of his garage & I'm pretty sure enjoys the wacky weed alot, so we're cool since he knows I won't say anything. The only one to say anything was the one directly behind me, but also said it didn't bother him or his family at all.

I'm moving soon out into the country, so I shouldn't have to worry about it at all out there.