Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pcv question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaron, feel free to share the entire set as a zipped file.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the OP - FWIW, I have a revextreme catch can, and have it set up identical to Arrons post (#14). I go through a quart of 5w-30 every 1k miles. My can catches virtually nothing. At times there will be small amounts of a clear, petroleum smelling liquid, but never any oil.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
If that's the case, ignore that port on the diagram. Here's with the LS6 valley

How does air blow "out" of the top port on the TB???

I thought that sucked vaccum at WOT.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS6427
How does air blow "out" of the top port on the TB???

I thought that sucked vaccum at WOT.

Filtered fresh make-up air is drawn from the port on the TB top. Under ecess crankcase pressure situations you can have oil "pushed" back into it and coat the TB blade & intake manifold.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 99_SS_LS1
To the OP - FWIW, I have a revextreme catch can, and have it set up identical to Arrons post (#14). I go through a quart of 5w-30 every 1k miles. My can catches virtually nothing. At times there will be small amounts of a clear, petroleum smelling liquid, but never any oil.
If your oil usage is from the PCV system, even a beer can with 2 fittings would be catching oil (only a small percentage, but still catching enough to notice) so if your installed correctly and your not catching any, then your oil consumption is coming from another source (being pulled past valve seals/guides, deffective oil ring, etc.).

But even with low mileage motors in excellent shape I always see some caught between oil changes, even if it is only a tablespoon or so. Plese post detailed pictures of your complete setup with every connection so we can try and see whats up.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which one of those is for a 2000 ls1?
Old 09-27-2009, 08:47 PM
9 Second Club

With breathers on both valve covers there should be no crankcase pressure at all.
From all I have talked to and read this is false. Unless you are running a gapless ring your motor will have blowby to some degree. That blowby has to escape somehwere and without a PCV draw from the intake it will exit the breather and is completely normal. I have learned ALOT about the function and purpose of the PCV systems from Aaron and T .Lewis and am currently working on my own setup.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JFM-jr
From all I have talked to and read this is false. Unless you are running a gapless ring your motor will have blowby to some degree. That blowby has to escape somehwere and without a PCV draw from the intake it will exit the breather and is completely normal. I have learned ALOT about the function and purpose of the PCV systems from Aaron and T .Lewis and am currently working on my own setup.
I'm talking about breathers/filters on each valve cover. If crankcase pressure builds it will escape right out of those filters (breathers). No way the crankcase can build pressure.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
9 Second Club

Ahhhh yes I see what you meant now. Naturally that would be correct sorry for the confusion (on my part).
Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Filtered fresh make-up air is drawn from the port on the TB top. Under ecess crankcase pressure situations you can have oil "pushed" back into it and coat the TB blade & intake manifold.
What?

On that diagram it shows that the "air flow" is out of the TB port and flows into the passenger side valve cover port.

HOW? That port is a vacuum port. How can it "blow" air to the valve cover.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

The port on the TB is the source of fresh air that is being pulled into the passenger valvecover. It is just a hole drilled "thru" the TB itself. The vaccume being drawn thru it originates from the intake drawing air out of the crankcase. You could plug that port on the TB and the valvecover and run a breather in the valvcover and accomplish the same goal. AT WOT there is lil to no vaccume but instead pressure built in the crankcase that needs to escape. It will take any path it can to get out somtimes back thru the passenger cover and out that TB port. Problem is sometime oil accompanies this and can wind up inside the TB/intake. The breather in the valvecover route eliminates this possibility.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned

The port on the TB is the source of fresh air that is being pulled into the passenger valvecover. It is just a hole drilled "thru" the TB itself. The vaccume being drawn thru it originates from the intake drawing air out of the crankcase. You could plug that port on the TB and the valvecover and run a breather in the valvcover and accomplish the same goal. AT WOT there is lil to no vaccume but instead pressure built in the crankcase that needs to escape. It will take any path it can to get out somtimes back thru the passenger cover and out that TB port. Problem is sometime oil accompanies this and can wind up inside the TB/intake. The breather in the valvecover route eliminates this possibility.
I've had that upper TB port capped for a very long time. But I never knew it flowed air that way...to the valve cover.

Yeah, and the breathers/filters are how my crankcase pressure can never build up at all. Yesterday I capped the valley cover port, I have a breather/filter on the drivers side valve cover and my vacuum from the intake sucks crankcase air from passenger side valve cover.

So the only way fresh air can enter my crankcase is through the drivers side valve cover and it can only escape through the passenger side valve cover......via vacuum going to the lower intake port.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 PM
9 Second Club

Do you have a catch can in the middle of th run between the passenger side valvecover and lower intake port? Thats where it should be and will be most effective. Also are you running a PCV valve if so where is it?
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 PM
Banned

Do you have a catch can in the middle of th run between the passenger side valvecover and lower intake port? Thats where it should be and will be most effective. Also are you running a PCV valve if so where is it?
Here's pics of how mine is set up now.

Simple as can be.

Vacuum being sucked from the lower intake port drawing crankcase gases out through the passenger side valve cover port.
Fresh air gets sucked into the drivers side valve cover port through a breather/filter.
PCV valve is right there near the intake vacuum port.
I have tightened the clamp down, on the PCV/valve vacuum line, to get the exact air flow I want from the vacuum suction. ((I think stock flow is way too much, unnecessary. So I cut it down to about 1/4 flow of normal))

The valley cover port DOES NOT have that breather/filter anymore, I capped it off.

This set-up brought my oil consumption to a HALT!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails pcv question-dsc01861.jpg   pcv question-dsc01875.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

well after digging around im leaning toward sticking with the breathers on my valve covers. only guarranteed way to keep oil out. i can see myself spending 100something bucks on a catch can setup and paying for synthetic oil. when there is really no benefit.

the only remaining problem is risk of getting moisture in the engine. for some reason i get rust on my dipstick. the only way inside the motor is the throttle body and those breathers.

has anybody else had a problem with rust on the dipstick? i know condensation in an engine is normal.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

You are absolutely correct.

Originally Posted by FL Junkie
well after digging around im leaning toward sticking with the breathers on my valve covers. only guarranteed way to keep oil out. i can see myself spending 100something bucks on a catch can setup and paying for synthetic oil. when there is really no benefit.

the only remaining problem is risk of getting moisture in the engine. for some reason i get rust on my dipstick. the only way inside the motor is the throttle body and those breathers.

has anybody else had a problem with rust on the dipstick? i know condensation in an engine is normal.

With only breathers and no vacuum to pull fresh flushing air through, you will have to change oil every time you run to save the motor from long term damage. The rust you see in the dipstick is only a fraction of what is happening inside your motor. The moisture comes from the level of humidity in the air, and in FL there is a ton. But moisture is only 1 of the harmful substances that need to be evac'd out of the crankcase with the aid of vacuum. There is also unburnt fuel, sulferic acid, carbon particale, and other nasty stuff in the combustion gasses that slip past the rings (no motor has zero blow-by) and these are what cause the damage. Running a breather in each valve cover will release the excess crankcase pressure, but that is all it does. Without a cross flow of filtered fresh air through the entire crankcase those compunds accumulate in the crankcase, and every time the motor is run they "flash" off to vapor & mist.....but if not flushed out, when the motor is shut off and cools, they recondense inside the crankcase coating the internal parts with moisture & corrosion causing compounds and contaminate the oil reducing its ability to protect the internal parts. A simple oil analysis will show just what compounds are in the oil and what levels of each.

So yes, the breather will eliminate the oil in the intake usually, but at the expense of your engine over time.

LS6427 has it right, but w/out a proper oil seperating catchcan inline there will still be a small amount of oil being ingested into the intake....and any oil will cause some detonation and carbon build-up, but he has cured his excess oil usage.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At WOT the intake vent to the PCV system becomes a vaccum point, because at WOT ALL the air moving into the TB is pulled into the intake. Keep this in mind when designing a system.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here's pics of how mine is set up now.

Simple as can be.

Vacuum being sucked from the lower intake port drawing crankcase gases out through the passenger side valve cover port.
Fresh air gets sucked into the drivers side valve cover port through a breather/filter.
PCV valve is right there near the intake vacuum port.
I have tightened the clamp down, on the PCV/valve vacuum line, to get the exact air flow I want from the vacuum suction. ((I think stock flow is way too much, unnecessary. So I cut it down to about 1/4 flow of normal))

The valley cover port DOES NOT have that breather/filter anymore, I capped it off.

This set-up brought my oil consumption to a HALT!!!!!!
what about the passenger side cover did you cap it off or put another breather on it?
the only difference i see in your setup and mine is youre supplying fresh air to the passenger side with adjusted flow. do you have any moisture problems like mine?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Banned

He won't have the moisture problems since he is evacing the crankcase from one side, and pulling filtered fresh air from the other. He is also metering, or controling the amount of vac pulled using a PCV valve so it is not pulling to much and drawing in oil that way.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
He won't have the moisture problems since he is evacing the crankcase from one side, and pulling filtered fresh air from the other. He is also metering, or controling the amount of vac pulled using a PCV valve so it is not pulling to much and drawing in oil that way.
i see now. i might see if i can round up the parts to do this.

Quick Reply: pcv question