Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers/Catted Y/Magnaflow...I'm going in.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I took some measurements...

I measured from my stock y-pipe from the bracket that holds it near the tranasmission to the end of the old merge and it was about 21".

I then put my new y-pipe back on and shoved it forward pretty far to where I would not be able to use the band clamps that came with the Y-pipe.. It was roughly 21"...

Next I might slide the band clamps on to where they would clamp and take that measurement... Looks like a hair over 22"

Don

Last edited by donman; 09-30-2009 at 10:02 PM. Reason: last sentence
Old 09-30-2009, 09:43 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don,

I have the entire exhaust in place except for the muffler, which I'm getting ready to take out and try to fit now. At the risk of being optimistic....I think everything is going to line up. I'm sure I just jinxed myself by typing that, but I think I may be in good shape. I will let you know what happens. I am using a catted Y, but it should be about the same. I did not use the band clamps at the collectors in the current configuration, FYI.

Fingers crossed.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:09 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

It's on!!!!

I'm finally done. Man, it feels good to have that behind me. A few things...

The magnaflow system fits perfectly as-is. I worked my way back from the headers a piece at a time, making sure each one was slid on as far as it would go. I spent a good deal of time adjusting the various pieces of the Y-pipe until I had it about as good as I could get it. I still think I'll go back and readjust the passenger side of the Y again for a little tighter fit against the floorboard. Driver's side is tucked up perfectly and has great ground clearance.

The magnaflow pipes fit well, but it took me a while to get everything right with the muffler. I have the pipes even, but they are angled down a bit too far and look like they are hanging too low by and inch or so at the tips. I'll have to go back tomorrow, loosen all the clamps, and readjust.

The entire exhaust system is solid as a rock. I can grab it and try to shake it, and it doesn't budge a bit. Really impressed.

That's about it. I think I'll probably make another thread with my header installation "lessons learned" and tips to help out future installers.

Don, you have any more luck with yours?
Old 10-01-2009, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

-Q-

I think I am going to go your route tonight. I will give up the idea of using the band clamps at the collector and that should allow me to get the magnaflow to line up.

How do your tips look? Did you get them to even up?

Thanks

Don
Old 10-01-2009, 07:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

video video video fly by, idle, revs
Old 10-01-2009, 10:53 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by donman
-Q-

I think I am going to go your route tonight. I will give up the idea of using the band clamps at the collector and that should allow me to get the magnaflow to line up.

How do your tips look? Did you get them to even up?

Thanks

Don
Don, I should clarify on the tips. I have the single exit, "cannon" style tips...I think maybe you had the quad tips? Or am I remembering that wrong?

The tips themselves are even and level on each side, but I need to go back under, loosen the three clamps on the muffler, and realign everything so it tucks up toward the bumper a little farther. Shouldn't be too difficult....I hope. Trial and error, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
video video video fly by, idle, revs
I am a total newb on videos. I could try to take some with my camera, but I'm afraid the sound quality might suck ***.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:57 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

And by the way, the sound is fantastic. A lot more mellow than I was expecting, but I like it a lot. Very tame at idle and in normal driving, but really opens up after 3k or so. Big thumbs up.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

-Q-

I am jealous. Hopefully tonight I will hear what you hear :-)

Any pictures of the drivers side clearance on your Y-pipe?

Thanks

Don
Old 10-01-2009, 03:07 PM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

Don, I can take one for you after I get off work. I'm crawling back under to do some more adjusting on the passenger side Y and the catback.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

everyone knows what you hear in vid's isnt how we all really hear it but it gives us a badass idea
Old 10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
Launching!

Congrat's on install guy's!! I bet their pretty damn quiet!! I have the same set up w/no
cat's & ory! when I first installed it I wasn't that happy cause was too tame for my taste
but after about a year now it has gotten a little louder & I would say perfect! has a good sound w/no rasp! (hard to do w/no cats)
Old 10-05-2009, 10:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD
Congrat's on install guy's!! I bet their pretty damn quiet!! I have the same set up w/no
cat's & ory! when I first installed it I wasn't that happy cause was too tame for my taste
but after about a year now it has gotten a little louder & I would say perfect! has a good sound w/no rasp! (hard to do w/no cats)
Actually,

Mine is not as quiet as I thought it would be. I don't have cat's on mine though.

To me it sounds kinda weird driving around in town, but when you get on it, it sounds awesome.

I am going to try and get some video's up, hopefully I can do that tonight. It gets dark around here early now.

Don
Old 10-05-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the info in this thread guys. I just ordered coated pacesetters with catted texas speed y to go with my magnaflow. I'll be referencing this thread when they come in next week. Thanks again!
Old 10-05-2009, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by donman
Actually,

Mine is not as quiet as I thought it would be. I don't have cat's on mine though.

To me it sounds kinda weird driving around in town, but when you get on it, it sounds awesome.

I am going to try and get some video's up, hopefully I can do that tonight. It gets dark around here early now.

Don
video's
Old 10-05-2009, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by z28camaross2
video's
Ok, Here is one from tonight. It is from a cold start, so the idle is kinda high...I will try to get some better one in the next few days.

Don

Last edited by donman; 10-05-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Thanks for all the info in this thread guys. I just ordered coated pacesetters with catted texas speed y to go with my magnaflow. I'll be referencing this thread when they come in next week. Thanks again!
If you have any questions feel from to pm me or post it or another thread so it might help others...

I did not do catted Y but I believe -Q- did.

don
Old 10-06-2009, 01:14 AM
-Q-
TECH Fanatic

I did indeed do the Catted Y. Really not difficult at all if you take your time and try different angles with the various pipes to get the best clearance. Let me know if I can help you out at all, and take a look at my "lessons learned" thread for some additional advice.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

don car sounds great so far cant wait to hear more of it, and Q is ur idle prob quieter than don's since you have the cats i was just wondering because i am going the cat route as well
Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good Don. Bet it sounds even better in person. Maybe I'll get lucky and see you out in Galesburg sometime soon and get to here it. I think I'm going to end up getting the exhaust done on mine next week.