Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can help

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I checked and everything is routed perfectly. I am getting a ton in the catch can. I bacically emptied the can and drove it about 10 miles of regular driving and came back and opened the drain plug and there was close to a drink cap full of liquid in the can. Since I got everything hooked up 100% properly the liquid is now a very light brown color. i called revextreme today and they said it sounds like I might have a head gasket problem or something and it may be leaking water through those. I pulled the oil fill tube out and there was no signs of water or milkyness in there. I ran my finger around the inside of the valve cover and no milkyness there. I pulled the dip stick out and did'nt seem to have any water in the oil. I let the car run for a few minutes or so and shut it off and immediatly pulled the dipstick and there was only like 2 or 3 bubbles on it so it seemed good? I tasted the liquid coming out of the catch can and it seemed to taste like oil (was told to do this and if it was a lot of water/coolant than it would taste sweet). The oil in the motor has about 600 miles on it and there seems to be the same amount on the fill level as when I filled it up after changing it so I would'nt think it is burning a lot of oil or anything. I did open up the blades of the throttle body today and there was oil in the intake still (cleaned it out completly before putting the catch can on originaly. Im so freakin frustrated. Anyone have any ideas PLEASE!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

Keep a watchfull eye on the coolant level if you think if the material past the fire ring has been eaten away towards a coolant passage. I dont think you have that situation wrong with the car or else the catch can would taste like coolant, and you would be going thru some coolant too.

Im not sure, is it possible on a lsx to get pressure into the intake tract from a head gasket pushing out toward the intake?
Shows how little i know about these engines.

How old is the motor? If it blows some smoke on start up, possible oil is coming down the guides on start up, and the egr is directing it into the intake?

Sounds like its not broken, seems to run ok? Why not drive it and see if the issue fixes itself.
If your not going thru coolant OR oil, then maybe its mostly condensation?

Does the car sit for extended periods of time?

HTH
BW
Old 10-12-2009, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

The car has 77000 miles on it. It is driven on the weekends only. At bare minimum it is started up atleast once a week ultill warmed up. I don't have egr and I don't think it smokes when I start it but I will check tomorrow. The car seems to run and drive fine. I wll try to see if I can check the coolant level and keep a close eye on it. We are going to do a leak down test on it in the next two days. If it comes out fine then im just going to drive it a bit and see what happens. I tend to be a little over-**** of my motor because I just want everything to work perfectly and I can't afford to build a motor right now so if it blows, it will be sitting under the car cover for the next few years.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say from what youve posted that it may just be that much condensation being pulled from the crankcase. If a car is not run for at least an hour or so at full operating temp the moisture that is not evac'd out will re-condese and accumlate in the crankcase. Especially those driven very little. It show's the can is doing it's job though if it is catching the vapor (as it cools the crankcase gasses oil & water wil condense to droplets and be collected). Most that drive their cars daily will not see much water condensed & trapped as the extended temps keep it in vapor form & the PCV system pulls it out, but a car that sits & is not run for extended periods will accumulate a good amount of water in the crankcase (unless you live in AZ/NM where there is no humidity. I'd say you are fine and if your coolant is not going low your OK. On our drag motors we see 1/2 qt after a race (but we run Methanol that attracts moisture & belt driven vac pumps).
Old 10-12-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
I would say from what youve posted that it may just be that much condensation being pulled from the crankcase. If a car is not run for at least an hour or so at full operating temp the moisture that is not evac'd out will re-condese and accumlate in the crankcase. Especially those driven very little. It show's the can is doing it's job though if it is catching the vapor (as it cools the crankcase gasses oil & water wil condense to droplets and be collected). Most that drive their cars daily will not see much water condensed & trapped as the extended temps keep it in vapor form & the PCV system pulls it out, but a car that sits & is not run for extended periods will accumulate a good amount of water in the crankcase (unless you live in AZ/NM where there is no humidity. I'd say you are fine and if your coolant is not going low your OK. On our drag motors we see 1/2 qt after a race (but we run Methanol that attracts moisture & belt driven vac pumps).
Thanks for the response but why would "the liquid" still be getting past the catch can and into the intake. Is that normal? Will it eventually clear itself up?
Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
Thanks for the response but why would "the liquid" still be getting past the catch can and into the intake. Is that normal? Will it eventually clear itself up?
If it is water, then a good amount will. It enters the can as steam, and only a good portion will be caught in the can...the rest goes into the intake manifold & is burn't with the combustion and cat's.

If it has a "sweet" smeel it would be antifreeze, but what you describe sounds like just condensation. Go for a couple hour cruise and the can will catch a good deal, but very little should be entering the intake by then as most will have been flushed out.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:54 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not trying to jack your thread, but will oil really mess anything up by going into the intake manifold?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1curt
im not trying to jack your thread, but will oil really mess anything up by going into the intake manifold?
From what I understand, it can cause build up on stuff like pistons and what not and can cause knock. Im learning too.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ls1curt

Yes. You want just air & fuel in the combustion chamber. Any oil mixed in the intake charge will burn slow & incomplete causing detonation & releasing less energy per explosion hence less power. It also builds up carbon residue on the valves & piston tops so the velocity of the A/F charge is disturbed and again, less power.
Old 10-17-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, so I drove the car for about 4 hours today and drained the catch can at the end of the ride into a top for a paint can. It filled the top about half full and was likr a slight brownish yellow collor I guess. I don't think it smeeled really sweet but then again im not sure. I did notice there was some condensation on the oil fill cap after the drive. All seem normal still?
Old 10-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speedfreak2685
Ok, so I drove the car for about 4 hours today and drained the catch can at the end of the ride into a top for a paint can. It filled the top about half full and was likr a slight brownish yellow collor I guess. I don't think it smeeled really sweet but then again im not sure. I did notice there was some condensation on the oil fill cap after the drive. All seem normal still?
Yes, sounds normal.