Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catch can help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catch can help

I just instaled a revextreme catch can and drove the car over the weekend for probably about 100 or so miles and was getting on it pretty good. Well I got curious and opened up the drain plug on the catch can and all that came out was a clear liquid. It kinda smelled like gas but was'nt dead set that it was'nt diluted with water or something? Is this normal and if so, what was that liquid coming out of it?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Are you running E85 ?

BW
Old 10-04-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

nope, 93
Old 10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Condensation?

Do you have valve cover breathers or sealed valve covers?

Just wondering if the system is open or not.

Next time try to light it on fire

BW
Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

It might be condensation I suppose but im not educated on how the whole system works so am not sure. The valve covers are sealed with no breather filter. I guess I could try to light it on fire next time and see what happens.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry for all the questions, .. Do you have forced induction then?

Im new to LSX motors, not really sure why you would need it if there is no blow by. High mileage car?

If its na and all sealed up, maybe its just pulling moisture from the oil.

Try to drive it more and let us know.

I have methanol injection on all my cars, but no catch cans. If there is no blow by or excessive oily vapors getting up stream, then you have nothing to worry about.

I could see getting a catch can on a car with forced induction and some times getting detonation issues, but a normally aspirated car
Old 10-04-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Resident

Car is NA with around 420rwhp. Ls1 motors are notorious for ring blow by. Even on very low milage motors
Old 10-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

If you didnt get any oil in the can , then you dont have much blowby

Just trying to hep

BW
Old 10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, pobably not too much but I only drove the car about 100 miles. We took my intake manifold off the car and there was quite a bit of oil in it so thats why I got the catch can. The intake was on the car for about 7000 miles before we took it off and observed this.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else have any input on what it could be?
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 10-05-2009, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seems to be a strong case for condensation. It shouldn't be gas (not sure how gas would get there?) and a catch can is designed to condense vapors traveling through the system. I would just double check that your routing is ok. This may just be a case of you having no oil needing to be caught currently, and that is something to be happy about, not really a problem.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MjMaro
Seems to be a strong case for condensation. It shouldn't be gas (not sure how gas would get there?) and a catch can is designed to condense vapors traveling through the system. I would just double check that your routing is ok. This may just be a case of you having no oil needing to be caught currently, and that is something to be happy about, not really a problem.
Yeah, im sure I have nothing to worry about. I know the routing is fine. I guess it is just condensation.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else have any input?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry I didn't see this earlier to offer input.

The oil mist/vapor that results in the oil coating the intake is only one of the many combustion byproducts and harmful compounds that are evacuated from the crankcase. The oil mist/vapor is a suspension caused by the internal parts flinging it so it needs a chance to slow-down & cool to condense the suspension to droplets that are then trapped in the can. But the harmfull stuf is the acids, water vapors, carbon particles, and unburn't fuel that if not flushed out will cause harm over time by coroding the internal parts and contaminating your oil causing it to protect less & less. What you have sounds like mainly water vapor & some unburnt fuel, etc. It to will condense to droplets and be caught by the can where the other gasses will be drawn through and burnt in the combustion chamber & then the cat.

The cars of today ALL have closed crankcase ventelation systems, and ALL will result in some oil in the intake. Some are worse than others (our LS based especially) so that is the reason we modify the systems to prevent this. To test and see if you need one, simply unbolt your TB from the intake & reach in with a white paper towel (into the intake snout). If it comes out clean, you have no issue. If it comes out oily, you do.

The problems we see the most are where people will delete the PCV system and just run breathers, or worse...open hoses hanging down from the valve covers where they will pull dirt & debris directly into your motor. The breathers relieve excess crankcase pressure & are filtered to keep dirt out, but do nothing to evac or flush the harmfull products out. So each time you run up to operating temp the harmfull crap "flashes" off to vaoprs and unless pulled out with vacuum. remain in the crankcase for the most part and when you shut down & the motor cools, they re-condense into droplets inside your motor and coat the internals & contaminate the oil. This is accumulative so over time damage results.

Any questions anyone has please post them and I will do my best to answer them for you. This is a very misunderstood issue and the only solution is knowledge. Far to much misinformation out there by assumptions and the thinking of 30 years ago.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Sorry I didn't see this earlier to offer input.

The oil mist/vapor that results in the oil coating the intake is only one of the many combustion byproducts and harmful compounds that are evacuated from the crankcase. The oil mist/vapor is a suspension caused by the internal parts flinging it so it needs a chance to slow-down & cool to condense the suspension to droplets that are then trapped in the can. But the harmfull stuf is the acids, water vapors, carbon particles, and unburn't fuel that if not flushed out will cause harm over time by coroding the internal parts and contaminating your oil causing it to protect less & less. What you have sounds like mainly water vapor & some unburnt fuel, etc. It to will condense to droplets and be caught by the can where the other gasses will be drawn through and burnt in the combustion chamber & then the cat.

The cars of today ALL have closed crankcase ventelation systems, and ALL will result in some oil in the intake. Some are worse than others (our LS based especially) so that is the reason we modify the systems to prevent this. To test and see if you need one, simply unbolt your TB from the intake & reach in with a white paper towel (into the intake snout). If it comes out clean, you have no issue. If it comes out oily, you do.

The problems we see the most are where people will delete the PCV system and just run breathers, or worse...open hoses hanging down from the valve covers where they will pull dirt & debris directly into your motor. The breathers relieve excess crankcase pressure & are filtered to keep dirt out, but do nothing to evac or flush the harmfull products out. So each time you run up to operating temp the harmfull crap "flashes" off to vaoprs and unless pulled out with vacuum. remain in the crankcase for the most part and when you shut down & the motor cools, they re-condense into droplets inside your motor and coat the internals & contaminate the oil. This is accumulative so over time damage results.

Any questions anyone has please post them and I will do my best to answer them for you. This is a very misunderstood issue and the only solution is knowledge. Far to much misinformation out there by assumptions and the thinking of 30 years ago.
That's one hell of a reply, good info.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Awesome response

Do you have any recommended catch can setups you have seen that work better than others?

Thanks
BW
Old 10-10-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the reply. I believe I found my problem (laugh at me if you want, lol) I was changing my plugs and noticed that the hose coming out of the passenger side valve cover and goes to the catch can was dissconected! I guess I knocked it loose somehow. I guess thats why I was pulling lord only knows what into the catch can.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by turbov6bryan
Awesome response

Do you have any recommended catch can setups you have seen that work better than others?

Thanks
BW

Tons of information and diagrams here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Old 10-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Tons of information and diagrams here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...outing-ok.html
Thank you Aaron-

You guys are great