Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car missing erratically. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
I think your PCM is history.

I would agree, it's that or a grounding issue playing itself out.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

hmmmm? Well that was the answer to Clay's blue TBI camaro. Just plain-o running crappy, put a truck computer on it and it ran and is still running now with a truck computer and swapped out chip.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I could see if another PCM would work, Is that going to be costly?
Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Clay, Rog, or Charlie should all have one that would work. At least as a test.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would change the coils first. Mine did the EXACT same thing and 3 or 4 coils were bad but I replaced all them at the same time and that fixed it. I also took it back to the dealer to verify the miss was gone and everything worked ok with no misfires.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
I would change the coils first. Mine did the EXACT same thing and 3 or 4 coils were bad but I replaced all them at the same time and that fixed it. I also took it back to the dealer to verify the miss was gone and everything worked ok with no misfires.
Yeah I thought about that, but how would I pick out which coils to change? They all seem to be firing when I pull the plugs. Thanks for the info I’m definitely going to try all the advice.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stngh8r
Clay, Rog, or Charlie should all have one that would work. At least as a test.
Yeah your right. I'll have to try it this weekend. We need to get the "Big Blaze" going. If I dont figure this out im going to go crazy.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chevy told me cylinders 3 and 4 had bad coils so I replaced just those and still had a misfire just on different cylinders. I spent $200 and got a new set of 8 coils and it fixed the problem.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

I put new coils all the way around, no change. I even forgot to plug in one side of the coils when i put mine back on and it only ran a little worse, so i plugged the side on and it went back to the regular crappy idle. I unplugged the PCM and there was some oxidation on the prongs where it plugs in. This may or may not make a dif., but im out of ideas, so im going to try and get a PCM.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:45 PM

my car was doing that. random misses, only after it was up to temp. HORRIBLe fuel mileage. Kept throwing random codes. Bank rich, bank lean, knock codes, etc.

I thought my MAF was going bad, cleaned it, same trouble. I took all of my electrical connection loose, one at a time, blew them out, reconnected and twisted them slightly. Problem solved.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

I have basicly the same problem with my 01 SS. I am thinking a ground problem on mine. I get a lot of static in the radio with the car running but not so much with it off. 5 and 6 are the main ones missing and all over the place on the others. Changed out plugs and wires twice. Replace one coil #3 for a #3 coil circuit control code same problems though. I swapped Fuel Rails and Injectors twice also. Back and forth to stock MAF. I noticed the drivers side wiring harness that goes to the coil packs when you move it just right the idle gets extremely worse. I will probably take it to XP in the near future to see what Brett thinks.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

I never did finish this thread out. I figured out what the problem was. I was running some Comp. 918 springs and one of them broke. That’s why it was missing on all cylinders, because it was basically a huge vacuum leak. Well when that broke the valve knocked a hole in my piston. Piston eventually broke and settled into the motor while my rod went to town on my cylinder wall. All the while I can still crank this thing up and drive it down the road.

Here is the strange part to me. While all that destruction was happening inside the motor, it never made a knock, thump, slap, rattle or any other metal to metal noise. The #4 cylinder wall was caved in and smashed the water jacket. It was a huge mess, but never made a noise.

I thought I would put a finale to the thread. Incase someone was searching and had the same symptoms, your prolly not going to find your answer here....hopefully not anyway.

Quick Reply: Car missing erratically. Need some advice.