Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust rasp after header install???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust rasp after header install???

ok since headers installed and cats removed when i get into it bout half throttle it sounds like a warsher rattling in my rear half of the exhaust... not at normal driving but only when into it for a quicker merge into traffic... and it dies as soon as the car shifts,... i would say at about 3200rpms.......

now i know i shook out all the y-pipe and nothing could have gotten into the intermediate pipe... so is this the rasp i have heard about? it sounds like a metal rattle... but i have been all over the car cant find it touching no where.... only other thing i thought of was the extra mount for y-pipe that holds it to the drive floorboard... but this seems solid and it sounds like its in the back of the car..... the car has the SLP dual/dual with Lpp headers and ORY pipe..

and it kinda sounds like old glasspacks that rotted out... but its sounds more metal rattle

thanks guys
Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I wouldn't say rasp sounds like something rattling around in your exhaust but I guess it's possible. I was in marching band for years so I think of rasp as someone overblowing their trumpet or trombone. It's a very metallic, edgy, splatty sound.
Here is a clip of a car with a lot of rasp! Listen in the first 4 seconds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5kPmJB-T3A
Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you'll find that the common wisdom on here says put some cats on there and solve most if not all of your rasp.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

can i get like a bullet muffler and cut it out?... i dont want cats.... but i may get some later.... i cant think of anything that would cause this sound it has to be the exhaust...

that vid is almost how mine sounds so i guess it is rasp...
Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ceramic brick style cats cut out the rasp a lot more than the newer style higher flowing metallic core cats. I have rasp with my true duals & metallic cats. The rasp is difficult to remove without a big muffler or a bullet with cats. Borla XR1 bullets quiet down the exhaust more than dynomax bullets. I'm not sure where magnaflow fits in with that.
A new set-up out there that seems to be doing a good job at killing rasp is the new SLP powerflo exhaust, which is basically 3 bullets.
http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...ducts_id=10614

I've heard of a piece breaking before in the slp dual/dual catback muffler. You may want to look into it.
Old 11-02-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Two 14 inch Magnaflows got rid of my rasp.

ARH headers with ARH catted y-pipe to Magnaflow catback.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/1835930...7602956888623/
Old 11-03-2009, 03:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get a powerstick 20" http://www.classicchambered.com/ put that in the I-pipe and that should help out alot. I have Kook's LT, Catted Y and GMMG CB. An I just got my car back from my tuner and the rasp is gone completely. But since you don't have any cats it still should take out the rasp or a majority of it and then get a Flowmaster merge and that should kill it period.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM
TECH Regular

No cats, I put 2 12" resonators (glass packs) from classic chamber right before the tips. They completely removed my rasp. I have a GMMG and LT with ORY. I also have a dynomax bullet after the Y before the GMMG. It sounds just like it did before the headers but with ZERO Drone.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
No cats, I put 2 12" resonators (glass packs) from classic chamber right before the tips. They completely removed my rasp. I have a GMMG and LT with ORY. I also have a dynomax bullet after the Y before the GMMG. It sounds just like it did before the headers but with ZERO Drone.
Prey that sounds good but damn your exhaust has to weigh about 1 ton. lol But either way it takes that **** out and it sounds alot better.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Yea, I suppose it is heavier, but if I'm worried about weight I better look down. My fat *** could stand to lose 40 lbs. I have pictures at home I will post, and I will post another you tube. I have it without the resonators posted now. You can here the rasp when I rev it but the rasp is much louder under load. Like I said it is completely gone now.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BRD-PREY
Yea, I suppose it is heavier, but if I'm worried about weight I better look down. My fat *** could stand to lose 40 lbs. I have pictures at home I will post, and I will post another you tube. I have it without the resonators posted now. You can here the rasp when I rev it but the rasp is much louder under load. Like I said it is completely gone now.
You crazy prey good job on getting the rasp out of there. lol
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
On The Tree

thanks fellas i will be lookin into something soon.... its killer.... do you think the tune will help it any? either way.... i will also look into the broken muffler as stated by jimmypop13... cause to me its sounds metallic rattle....
Old 11-03-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StreetGliderX
can i get like a bullet muffler and cut it out?... i dont want cats.... but i may get some later.... i cant think of anything that would cause this sound it has to be the exhaust...

that vid is almost how mine sounds so i guess it is rasp...
Just curious - why are you against cats?
Old 11-03-2009, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

i dunno i just figured not havin them was STICKIN IT TO THE MAN!...lol really i dunno i just deleted a set so i didnt want anynew ones
Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

I use a magna flow bullet in the eye about 8 inches from the merge from the y and got rid of my rasp plus the turbo help also. But with the turbo off it has a very low rumble at idle.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

hmmm turbo to cure my rasp......... sound like a winner to me
Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Regular

Default Video and photo's GMMG+ LT, ORY and Bullet, 2) 12" Resonators

This is my set up, When I just had the bullet after the Y it had a rasp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adWIYIbTSYA

Last edited by BRD-PREY; 11-03-2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-04-2009, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

thanks brd-prey i think i gonna get in touch with my local exhaust guy and see if i cant get me something to drown out the raspy sound....

Quick Reply: exhaust rasp after header install???