Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best "Quality" Shorty Header(i know lt's make more power)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best "Quality" Shorty Header(i know lt's make more power)

O.k...I've got a 98, so my stock exhaust manifold obviously is not near as good as the 00-02 cars. The last thing I want on my car is stock 98 manifolds. I ran JBA shorties in the past and now have Pacesetters, so I know how much LT's are worth powerwise. I'm going a little sneakier in my setup and want to take off the LT's now, so I don't have to worry about getting pulled over here in CA. I ran the JBA's and didn't like the bumpy, flow disturbing welds or outlay of the primaries. They do have a nice thick flange however. Since shorties don't do awhole lot hp wise anyway, does it really matter which brand you go with? I think I'm more concerned about quality of the header, than the hp since there shouldn't be much. I don't want one prone to exhaust leaks, or one that doesn't have a coating that lasts. I have even been tempted to modify a set of ported 00 manifolds to bolt up. The y-body's are lucky cause they get all the nice shorties. If any of you have experience with shorty headers and could comment on the quality of them, or power gains realized, that would be great. There isn't really a whole lot of posts reviewing them, mostly ones that say they suck compared to LT's lol.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mac mid leanths with ported primarys. its too bad the LS7 Hydroformed manifolds wont fit F-bodies. something like that would be sneaky.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a set of 80$ shorties I got off of ebay. I like them. They are not coated, but were stainless. I have had them about 6 months and they seem to be nice pieces. When I did them I was in a bit of a cracked exhaust manifold dilema and saw them while browsing. I thought why not for that price. I ended up putting on my own ceramic coating which is still on I am surprised. I don't know who actually makes them tho. The ones I got have 1 3/4" primaries. The only thing I did was add the MAC ORY with them. That was the ORY to stock tail I got from the WS6 store which had a way better merge in it and it cut the rasp quite a bit. Still have some tho. Only slightly louder than it was with the stock manifolds on. I did notice some gain according to the butt dyno, but I added the ORY which had bigger tubing. Oh and I have a LM2 catback. Oh whatever you do don't use the gaskets that come with them they suck ***! Had to replace them they only lasted a week.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tillery
Mac mid leanths with ported primarys. its too bad the LS7 Hydroformed manifolds wont fit F-bodies. something like that would be sneaky.
I'd really like headers with a CARB#, but I have considered doing the Mac's and making them "look" legal. I want to be a little more legal than Mac's this time around though. I wish there was a way to make a CARB legal shorty, with longer primaries that didn't locate the cats further back. You see this type of legal header on other cars, but it would probably be physically hard to route longer primaries in the engine bay and still have enough room to get to everything I suppose. I dunno, I'm just looking for the best shorty header option and wishin we had as good of shorties as the vette. Some of the corvette shorties look almost like a mid-length header and seem to be of better quality. In this "green" day and age, you'd think there'd be better CARB legal options in the aftermarket.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The corvette stock exhuast manifolds are not a bad option if they willl fit.

check this out http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...est/index.html
Old 11-25-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Might as well get some 01-02 manifolds
Old 11-25-2009, 07:00 PM
Teching In

hooker makes shorty headers for 98 part # 2077-HKR non coated ,doug's headers part#d3327-R and BBK part # 40020-bbk there all around 400 dollars.I'm also pretty sure the hooker headers come with coating but its a different part #.I'm also looking for carb legal headers for my 98 ss just can't deciede on witch ones to get because there is not to much info on all of them.

Last edited by Snaggle; 11-25-2009 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snaggle
hooker makes shorty headers for 98 part # 2077-HKR non coated ,doug's headers part#d3327-R and BBK part # 40020-bbk there all around 400 dollars.I'm also pretty sure the hooker headers come with coating but its a different part #.I'm also looking for carb legal headers for my 98 ss just can't deciede on witch ones to get because there is not to much info on all of them.
Thanks for the heads up...I didn't know about the Doug's. I just checked them out and like them. A 2 1/4 collector sounds kinda small though. I may just go with a similar setup to my old one= short header(doug's?), Magnaflow direct fit high flow cats to an SLP y-pipe, with a flowmaster merge welded in.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

What I want to know, is why no one can make a shorty header like this for our cars.

http://www.c5racer.com/catalog/C5-Ex...527ecdc23c800a
Old 11-26-2009, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

I have BBK's and I am happy with them
Old 11-26-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

What size are your BBK's? I'd run the 1 3/4's but they arent CARB approved. That brings to mind another mystery...why are their no 1 3/4 carb legal shorties for the f-body, but vettes get them? I called BBK a few years back & asked them why they would even make a 1 3/4 shorty & not seek carb approval..i mean, 99% of the time the customer is buying a shorty header solely for that stupid carb #! What a waste of $$ on BBK's part imho. BBK would have made alot more money off of their shorties if they would have spent a lil $$ to get them approved like their 1 5/8 shorties.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Have u checked out the Edelbrock shorties...they look nice.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
What size are your BBK's? I'd run the 1 3/4's but they arent CARB approved. That brings to mind another mystery...why are their no 1 3/4 carb legal shorties for the f-body, but vettes get them? I called BBK a few years back & asked them why they would even make a 1 3/4 shorty & not seek carb approval..i mean, 99% of the time the customer is buying a shorty header solely for that stupid carb #! What a waste of $$ on BBK's part imho. BBK would have made alot more money off of their shorties if they would have spent a lil $$ to get them approved like their 1 5/8 shorties.
I run the 1 3/4" Ceramic Coated ones.

Quick Reply: Best "Quality" Shorty Header(i know lt's make more power)