Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless vs. ceramic coated headers please...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stainless vs. ceramic coated headers please...

I am interested in any opinions on ceramic coated headers ( LS1 long tubes) vs. stainless ones, thanks in advance fellow gearheads!
Old 12-15-2003, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stainless, if the proper alloy, will never rust. Coated mild steel will eventually rust, regardless.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:53 AM
TECH Regular

I paid alot of money for my FLP's and they are rusted. Next time I'll buy stainless or a much cheaper set of headers.
Old 12-15-2003, 09:24 AM
Banned

Our answer"
Stainless steel is non-magnetic, a quality that makes them very important in the aerospace industry. Compared to mild steel, stainless steel has superior high temperature characteristics. It is an excellent material for headers and any application where high heat is encountered.
You may have heard talk about maintaining high exhaust velocity and increase scavenging by covering headers with a thermal wrap. In addition, there are companies that coat headers with a thermal barrier, typically some type of ceramic formula, in order to keep the heat inside the exhaust system. Stainless steel performs this function without the need for add-ons because it has a much lower coefficient of thermal conductivity, thereby keeping more heat inside and transmitting it to the header outlet. Radiated heat is perhaps the most important reason to wrap or ceramic coat the headers to protect the car and the driver from excessive, fatiguing high temperatures.

Typical 1010 carbon (mild) steel conducts 219% more heat per foot than do the types of stainless steel we use in header fabrication. By contrast, quite a bit more heat stays inside the stainless header tubes and does not get passed into the surrounding air. By not allowing the contraction of the cooling gases as they flow down the tubes, more exhaust velocity is retained which promotes better scavenging at the collector. This retention of velocity increases the overall header efficiency.

304 stainless steel has excellent high temperature fatigue resistance in enclosed application and does a darn good job of living in this hostile environment better than any other material.

These many characteristics, such as superior heat retention properties, high temperature fatigue resistance, and to a lesser extent, the cosmetic value of a non-rusting finish, combine to make stainless steel an ideal choice for headers. Our system will produce more horsepower and last "'til the cows come home".
Old 12-15-2003, 09:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2002SilverWS-6
I paid alot of money for my FLP's and they are rusted. Next time I'll buy stainless or a much cheaper set of headers.
Thanks, those were the stainless headers under consideration!
Old 12-15-2003, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Tbo, if you can, I'd go for either Kooks or QTP longtubes. Stainless steel, and good fit from what I've heard. I'm ordering a set of Kooks myself from TTP, their link is on the -----> somewhere.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say go with stainless if you have the money. I posted some pics of my stainless Quick times and they are definately top notch. Also going with a good quality of stainless ensures you that you will not have to worry about them rusting up.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:00 PM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to buy the KOOK's stainless but decided to go with the Jet Hot's. The stainless will blue and quickly not look as nice. the jet hots are warrantied for 3 years to show no cosmetic defects and for life on rust through or structural defects. Plus they will allow lower engine compartment temperatures. IMHO
Old 12-15-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

How about stainless headers and ceramic coat them
Old 12-15-2003, 03:50 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my answer, if you can afford it then get them . location and weather have more to do with rusting then anything, and here in cali we dont have that problem so im not worried about my jet hots .
Old 12-16-2003, 12:54 AM
TECH Veteran

I paid for ceramic coating, but I had to drive in the snow, so the salt ate them up! I can't wait to get back to Florida!

Quick Reply: Stainless vs. ceramic coated headers please...