Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

those with GMMG...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Mod!

I bought and installed my GMMG about 3 months ago, and I still never get tired of the tone it makes. The cold startup alone is pure badass, and I still have stock manifolds and cats. It's the best money I have ever spent so far, and I am very happy with the quality and customer service as well. The premium oval tips look great in the rear cutouts in the bumper of my WS6 as well. The only thing that is killing me, is the WS6 is covered in the garage for the winter, so its hard not to get to hear it!
Old 12-17-2003, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got back from my garage. I had to start it up just to hear the gmmg. I LOVE THE SOUND. My best mod, and with the tr cam on a 114 with the lt's, its sweeeeeetttt music to my ears. Man that excites me.

Calming down now. lol
Old 12-17-2003, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Call me sacriligious or call me a person who does a TON of research, but I've got the first GP sales price order on the way for my 2002 Firehawk. Hoo-rah.
Old 12-17-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dawg One
Call me sacriligious or call me a person who does a TON of research, but I've got the first GP sales price order on the way for my 2002 Firehawk. Hoo-rah.
Outstanding choice...you're gonna love it!
Old 12-17-2003, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ArcticFormula
Unless someone wanted to pay a premium for them <grin>, they might be for sale.
How about 100 bucks shipped to San Diego?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Restricted User

If only I could hear this exhaust on a 231/237 @ 112lsa cammed auto idling at 750rpms and then thru a roll to WOT. Then I would order....but for now, will wait.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:15 AM
TECH Resident

I know sound clips don't do justice and maybe my ears are playing tricks on me. But Lawmanss's vid with the SLP lt's cats and GMMG sounded alot like a Loudmouth. I'm interested in getting a GMMG..but it sounds like it will sound pretty much the same as my setup now. No offense to anyone seems like a overpriced loudmouth with a slighty different tone. What I would do to hear one in person. Please more input from people running LT's and ORY with the GMMG!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Charlie: Heheh....if you give me till April, I will have the 231, LT's, ORY, GMMG installed on my 6 speed car. I plan to have my idle about 850 or so. How are things in the island??

I don't think the GMMG sounds anywhere near the LM. Yes...I have heard it is very raspy with LT's and ORY. But that won't stop me from running it on my car. IMO, the GMMG sounds much better than the LM. All around.

Last edited by Stalker WS6; 12-18-2003 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can I use my stock exhaust tips with this system? 700 plus another 150 for oval tips is kinda pricy for exhaust when I can just add a cutout.
How raspy is this compared to a stock ss exhaust with pacesetter LT's and ORP?
-Steve
Old 12-18-2003, 04:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
I know sound clips don't do justice and maybe my ears are playing tricks on me. But Lawmanss's vid with the SLP lt's cats and GMMG sounded alot like a Loudmouth. I'm interested in getting a GMMG..but it sounds like it will sound pretty much the same as my setup now. No offense to anyone seems like a overpriced loudmouth with a slighty different tone. What I would do to hear one in person. Please more input from people running LT's and ORY with the GMMG!
Please don't judge the sound of the GMMG from my video clips...I can't stress enough how sh*tty my camcorder is with mpegs(I need to get a video capture card!)...My brother-in-law has the LM and in comparison, the sound of the GMMG is much more refined, IMHO.
Old 12-18-2003, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8maro
Can I use my stock exhaust tips with this system? 700 plus another 150 for oval tips is kinda pricy for exhaust when I can just add a cutout.
How raspy is this compared to a stock ss exhaust with pacesetter LT's and ORP?
-Steve

The oval tips are just optional. The system actually ships with a set of plain round tips, I'm selling my tips in the Parts for Sale.

But yes, you can use your own, I used a set of custom Z28 tips made in stainless steel. But that's just me
Old 12-19-2003, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

For those who'd like an "honest" comparison between the GMMG and SLP LM, I'd be happy to give one since I've had both on the same car:

Behind stock manifolds and cats, the GMMG is a little quieter but also a little deeper (and more refined ; especially at WOT).

With FLP longtube headers and their highflow cats, WOW...The GMMG is very noticeably deeper at any rpm and a lot more refined (the WOT sound is pure MUSCLE). Whereas with headers (and especially no cats), the LM is not very deep, way too raspy/poppy, and has no rumble to it.

Also, the GMMG never droned any on my car (or the ones I've heard) whereas the LM had a very noticeable and annoying drone that practically gave me a headache...
Old 12-19-2003, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

wow this thred turned into a very knowledgeable one
Old 12-19-2003, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

on the "other" site a guy has a white ws6 with the GMMG/wcats and headers and a TR224....it sounds awesome!!!. look for a thread started about " GMMG with cats" or someting similar. person who started the thread was PUMKINZ.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a tr224 (on a 114lsa) and had very little to no lope at idle with the option slp cme. Now since I have mated the cme and gmmg, WOW, the thing lopes and sounds so sweet. I can't go any where without someone asking what I have done to the car. Just think what a 112 or lower would sound.

I love this exhaust. Especially with my cme tips.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

S'Wat about us "stock" folks"?
I'm not doing any heads or cam or headers or anything of the sort.
Most of these clips seem to be of people who have done extensive engine mods before the GMMG...
Old 12-19-2003, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

I have a 2000ss with gmmg and stock manifolds cats and everything. the only thing ive done to it is gmmg and lid. And i love the sound it is so awesome i have never heard any other system on an f-body that comes close to it. The sound is very deep and has an awesome tone to it. It sounds so awesome on cold starts, it just roars. good luck on whatever you choose to do
Old 12-19-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

All of gmmg's 380hp cars are internally stock with stock manifolds. They may not lope like a cammed car, but they still sound better than any other exhaust out there. Just my .02.

You will not be dissapointed.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:54 AM
TECH Regular

Do the optional stainless steel oval tips need to be welded on? I'm going to hate to have to hack away at the SLP Dual/Dual to get this new GMMG on the car, but whatever it takes.
Old 12-20-2003, 02:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dawg One
Do the optional stainless steel oval tips need to be welded on? I'm going to hate to have to hack away at the SLP Dual/Dual to get this new GMMG on the car, but whatever it takes.
The standard issue tips just clamp on, so I'm sure the ovals clamp, too.

As for the dual/dual thing, I had to hack mine in two places to get it off. Mine was installed by SLP as a new option and they used standard u-bolt clamps that crimped the pipe. I fought it for quite a while because I didn't want to cut it. I did my install on jack stands. Be fore-warned: If you don't have access to a lift and you're going to use jack stands, you need to get the *** end up fairly high to fish the rear section of the GMMG over the axle