Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seal lid drectly to FTRA similar scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Seal lid drectly to FTRA similar scoop?

has anyone deleted teh majority of the air box and sealed a lid of sorts to that scoop before? it seems that there would be more of a ram air effect because that large empty space wouldnt be there. ideas? comments?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn’t matter if there is an empty space as long as it is pressurized…you are thinking of it the wrong way you need to get the ram air as big as possible and leave the empty space the same because without it the filter/lid will not get equal distribution of air, thus being less than ideal…

Get rid of that FTRA and a custom ram air that will allow more flow…I gained over 1mph over the FTRA with this setup…

Check my sig for link
Old 12-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

That sucks you have to remove your ac condenser.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merlinn
That sucks you have to remove your ac condenser.

Yeah, talk about a HUGE downfall! Especially if you live in a hot climate like I do and have a car that doesn't spend it's entire life on the track.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
Yeah, talk about a HUGE downfall! Especially if you live in a hot climate like I do and have a car that doesn't spend it's entire life on the track.
yup all out hp...you can make something similiar but you have to hack up the radiator support...you choose your evil...
Old 12-30-2009, 03:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chrs1313
It doesn’t matter if there is an empty space as long as it is pressurized…you are thinking of it the wrong way you need to get the ram air as big as possible and leave the empty space the same because without it the filter/lid will not get equal distribution of air, thus being less than ideal…

Get rid of that FTRA and a custom ram air that will allow more flow…I gained over 1mph over the FTRA with this setup…

Check my sig for link
i was just using the ftra as a reference. the idea tho is instead of haviing that box, which a lot of cars dont have, why not make it as clear a path as possible? you would still be funneling air into the same tube with or without that, unique, portion. the idea would be to seal the lid portion directly to that scoop

i wanna come up with something and at least try it. if i lose some then ill just put the other stuff back in.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chrs1313
yup all out hp...you can make something similiar but you have to hack up the radiator support...you choose your evil...
I didn't hack mine up Chris.. The one you made me fits perfectly
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I didn't hack mine up Chris.. The one you made me fits perfectly
Shh that is custom, haha and it is 50% bigger than a FTRA…if interested in one for ac I can make one, just prefer the non ac version cause it is easier to make…
Old 12-30-2009, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wnts2Go10O
i was just using the ftra as a reference. the idea tho is instead of haviing that box, which a lot of cars dont have, why not make it as clear a path as possible? you would still be funneling air into the same tube with or without that, unique, portion. the idea would be to seal the lid portion directly to that scoop

i wanna come up with something and at least try it. if i lose some then ill just put the other stuff back in.
that is fine but you need a nice open area for the air filter is what i am saying...if you are running no filter than yes the less bends and turns the better...