Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What type of OIL do you use???

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually run a M1 10-30 or Rotella, is there some reason people are running 0w cold oils? I always thought you wanted an oil that held a film well and was semi thick when cold to prevent "dry starts".
Old 10-14-2010, 07:22 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Although Castrol specs it as a 0W-30, independent tests show it closer to a 10W-40.

You would want a thinner oil when cold, a 0W is the highest flowing viscosity at cold temperatures.

German Castrol has tested to resist breakdown of it’s lubricity and additives better than any other oil. Simply put, it has the best additive package of any oil on the market.

Lubricating oil manufacturers spend a lot of time and money formulating their oils. I hope you all know not to ruin their carefully blended oil and additive formulas with some off the shelf additive or stabilizer. Most oil additives you buy ruin the oil’s anti-foaming ability.

All top shelf oils will work well in any motor. Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Penzoil but at the top of that top shelf is German Castrol 0W-30. As its readily available at Auto Zone and sometimes Pep Boys, often on sale with a toss-away filter, there’s no reason not to use it.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Default Royal purple sucks

I tried royal purple for the first time. I have 50,000 original miles on her. She has no leaks, yet with the royal purple my light came on today. It was down one qt after only a thousand miles after the Royal Purple oil change.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bleew1978
I tried royal purple for the first time. I have 50,000 original miles on her. She has no leaks, yet with the royal purple my light came on today. It was down one qt after only a thousand miles after the Royal Purple oil change.
I experienced the same thing in my 99 formula years ago. Had always used M1 back then, buddy talked me into an RP change at 14K miles. Low oil light came on at 800 miles from the change. I never used it again, but had consumption issues from there on out. My Z06 has never seen RP and never will, use German Castrol and sometimes M1, no consumption issues. The 99 Camaro is recent addition, just changed with German Castrol, will see if this car has any consumption issues, it has had several owners and was used as a race car, so I am expecting some consumption.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:58 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone know how the new lucas 15w40 stacks up to the rotella? have not seen it in stores, but jegs has it in the new catalog for only 14.99

Quick Reply: What type of OIL do you use???