Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prick cop, gotta quieten my car down.....help

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Running LT's, non-catted Y-pipe and a Magnaflow and it's pretty loud on mine - got to looking at the Bassani baffles that I run on my Lightning and discovered that they fit up into the Magnaflow tips perfectly - just had to drill a retaining screw hole further up into the tips to hold the baffles in. Really quieted it down under idle and light throttle conditions. Now just have to order another set ($60 or so) for my Lightning.

Bird
Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
put cats on it then tell him to pound sand
This.

Or place a flaming bag of poo on his front doorstep before you start your car every morning.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think he may be just a FORD GUY, and don't like the nice sound of your car.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Just make it legal so you dont have anything to worry about.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 AM
Teching In

my .02 would be put those fake cats on that the one guy left a link for... those r pretty sweet cuz if he says anyhting u can just say it's all legal.... and if he looks sure enough it would appear to be legal hahaha... i might actually get some for my car when i do my Lt headers to true dual x pipe
Old 01-04-2010, 01:30 AM
Launching!

I am a Police officer and I own a TA and if someone had a cammed car that lived next door to me, it would be the perfect wake up. I would look forward to getting woke up by the sound LMAO
Old 01-04-2010, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow your car isnt even that loud... tell him to move in beside me with my open headers... ill just blip the throttle and he wont be able to hear yours for a while haha!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Sounds like he's got you by the short and curly's. RI law is similar to your law. In RI any modification made to the exhaust that makes it louder than stock is considered illegal (RIGL 31-23-13). Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2010, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

summit or jegs sells an inexpensive house-brand bullet. you can get them longer than most dynomax bullets and cheaper than the borla XR1.

they used to have a 24" version. i think dynomax was only 16 or 18"

sounds like a real *****.

but i'd suggest not trying the "get him for some infraction"...that will start you down a slippery slope. and a cop can make your life worse than you can make his.

you could really try to talk with him. appologize but explain.

have you tried parking backwards...or point it away from his place? other side of the driveway? put another car between you?

but honestly...bullet is your best cheap bet.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

dont start a war with him you cant win. cops talk and then before you know it they will be watching you. and dont forget to look into federal noise laws and your state also has a 50ft law that applys to night time.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Maybe you can get the wife's together and smooth things out, I'm sure the last thing he wants to do on his off time is go to the neighbors house and complain.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:42 PM
11 Second Club

i dont understand how some guys are saying LTs, ORY & Magnaflow catback is loud. i have the quad tip version on my MS-4 equipped T/A & think its just little too quiet. i did have a LoudMouth on the car & wanted to tone it down a bit, so i went with a Magnaflow. it sounds great, just a little too quiet for me.

to the OP, put a LM on your car for about a week. your cop neighbor will be begging you to put the Magnaflow back on it. lol
Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

Magnaflow is hardly any louder than stock, how can he complain?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:31 PM
Launching!

i have a feeling that its not the loudness its the rumble the cam makes at idle, but to his deffense when i crank my 78 camaro with a 282 cammed SBC it echos pretty bad in my neighborhood. It has LT, true duals with 2 chamber flowmaster 3" pipe turned down right behind the rear tires. I have it in my back yard behind a privacy fence and no trees around, but i can crank it and go one street over and it sounds like its idling at 5k RPM's. My WS6 with the flowmaster catback is way quiter than my 78.

I suggest to crank it up and than go to his house or somewhere close and see exactly what he is talking about. You may be surpirsed how bad these cars echoes especially off that wall its beside. Just a thought.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ACDenali
There is not a db level that a car must maintain around here. We don't even get checked for smog emissions or anything like that yet, we can't enhance an exhaust system.

Here is what the law states : http://www.lrc.ky.gov/krs/224-30/190.pdf

Sucks but I am going to have to do something. Don't really have the funds right now to re-work the exhaust but I am going to do something to keep the peace around here.
I find it comical that you've provided a link showing that your car has illegal modifications , yet everyone is calling your cop neighbor a ***** for saying something when he could just write you a ticket.

Magnaflow isn't loud by any stretch of the imagination, but it IS louder than stock. Quiet it down and get cut-outs for when you really want to hear it.

Originally Posted by t/a98
wow your car isnt even that loud... tell him to move in beside me with my open headers... ill just blip the throttle and he wont be able to hear yours for a while haha!
It's plenty loud enough. If you'd worked an evening shift (which many cops do) and had to try and get to sleep while listening to that thing, I would imagine you'd be pretty pissed.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by johnlv6
yet everyone is calling your cop neighbor a ***** for saying something when he could just write you a ticket.
no he cant, hes off duty when its occuring.....good try though
to the OP, i have magnaflow bullets on my car with no cats and long tubes, car is loud when it starts but at idle it calms down, give them a try if you want
Old 01-04-2010, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by johnlv6
I find it comical that you've provided a link showing that your car has illegal modifications , yet everyone is calling your cop neighbor a ***** for saying something when he could just write you a ticket.

Magnaflow isn't loud by any stretch of the imagination, but it IS louder than stock. Quiet it down and get cut-outs for when you really want to hear it.

It's plenty loud enough. If you'd worked an evening shift (which many cops do) and had to try and get to sleep while listening to that thing, I would imagine you'd be pretty pissed.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

step dad works third, never woke him with my car.... came home the other night, pregnant gf that never sleeps, was asleep, noone in the house was woke up by the car... and his is.. well. muchhh quieter, i doubt the cop is that light of a sleeper...
Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Get a nice set of earplugs and leave them on his doorstep one night haha. God I feel fortunate living where I do. The neighbor on one side of me is a mechanic and helped me put my car back together in one night after camming it. The neighbor on the other side offered to give me a bunch of LT1 parts from his Camaro he had a while back (mind you this dude is in his early eighties, triple bypass and all lol). And I've been stopped with my lack of exhaust, yet the officer never mentioned a thing about it. (expired plates)
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

**** man I wish you lived closer to me, I'd pass by in the middle of the night with my h/c car with dual cutouts at the collectors. It makes a little noise

Quick Reply: Prick cop, gotta quieten my car down.....help