Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing testing...ANYONE have back to back w/ LS6 vs LSX yet?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 07:16 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Testing testing...ANYONE have back to back w/ LS6 vs LSX yet?

Is there any solid back to back 346 comparisons on these intakes yet to show noticeable and/or worthwhile gains? Comparisons with the stock TB would be nice to what the intake itself does....
Old 12-18-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as I know, the LSX hasn't been released yet, although I heard tests were coming soon.
Old 12-18-2003, 09:32 PM
Launching!

I would agree it's getting a little frustrating. People (a few shops) seem to have them for testing as of a couple weeks ago... I called Katech. After a week of trying I got a hold of one of the folks that do the testing, and they said they were too busy to test it?? I hope someone tests it soon, so we know if it's marketing hype or proven power. For the price, I would sure hope it gives a significant gain over the ls6 intake.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When will the damn thing be officially released?
Old 12-19-2003, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

testing has been over and done with for a long time now..they are in the production phase..they started producing them last friday..no shop has one except for the origional designers
Old 12-19-2003, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

preordering is cheaper. So might as well get it and save the $100.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As said above,the testing is done but they are not going to release the #'s till they are shipping them and people get more feedback.Just wait a month when people start getting there's and post up.When I get mine I'll do back to back dyno pulls and tell everyone straight up.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I think it is an ominous sign that we are not hearing about these "testing results". EVERY COMPANY boasts about how their latest thing-a-ma-gadget will produce XX extra horsepower, yet we hear nothing of the testing? As I understand it, all the "big" LS1 shops got one or more to test, where are the results from them? I just think that we would have heard (even through the grapevine, if not offically) how well these intakes are doing. My guess, based on no fact or knowledge other than an opinion, is that they underperformed, and got sent back to the "drawing board" to be redesigned and improved, but thats just me wondering why nothing has been heard, no more "hype" (remember how every vendor had a "LSX intakes are coming!" thread?).

It will be interesting to see, I'll hold onto my LS6 for now....

Shawn
Old 12-19-2003, 06:12 PM
LSX Mechanic

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
I think it is an ominous sign that we are not hearing about these "testing results". EVERY COMPANY boasts about how their latest thing-a-ma-gadget will produce XX extra horsepower, yet we hear nothing of the testing? As I understand it, all the "big" LS1 shops got one or more to test, where are the results from them? I just think that we would have heard (even through the grapevine, if not offically) how well these intakes are doing. My guess, based on no fact or knowledge other than an opinion, is that they underperformed, and got sent back to the "drawing board" to be redesigned and improved, but thats just me wondering why nothing has been heard, no more "hype" (remember how every vendor had a "LSX intakes are coming!" thread?).

It will be interesting to see, I'll hold onto my LS6 for now....

Shawn
I agree with you. I do not wanna hear that there isn't a shop in the country that doesn't have one of these things yet. I KNOW there has been some back to back testing, either somebody just doesn't wanna come off with some #'s yet, or the intake was just another underperformer like some of the others...

josh
Old 12-19-2003, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

The new intakes are supposed to be released in a few weeks so I expect a large shipment to arrive the 1st or 2nd week of January. I talked to one of the guys over there today. He said they've seen a 20+hp gain over the LS1 intake. One of the guys that works there is running this on his car and has been extremely happy with it.

There will be alot of dyno numbers floating around after these are released.

Tom
Old 12-19-2003, 10:46 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20hp over the LS1 or the LS6? If it is over the LS1 I woudn't call that much of a gain for the money? Just questioning the thought process here.
Old 12-19-2003, 10:52 PM
LSX Mechanic

He said they've seen a 20+hp gain over the LS1 intake. One of the guys that works there is running this on his car and has been extremely happy with it.
Thanks for the info Tom, but thats not saying to much considering the LS6 intake already makes 10-15 rwhp over the LS1 intake.
Old 12-19-2003, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, it is important to note what size motor the 20 hp was seen on.

I'll be impressed if 10-15 rwhp is gained on more than one H/C 346 over an LS6 intake, otherwise there are better places to spend $800+. Anything less than 10-15 over an LS6 intake just doesn't justify the price, IMO.

T Byrne- Did you get one of the "testers", and if so, what were your results, good or bad? What are you hearing in the industry and from your peers?

Shawn
Old 12-20-2003, 04:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tbyrne
The new intakes are supposed to be released in a few weeks so I expect a large shipment to arrive the 1st or 2nd week of January. I talked to one of the guys over there today. He said they've seen a 20+hp gain over the LS1 intake. One of the guys that works there is running this on his car and has been extremely happy with it.

There will be alot of dyno numbers floating around after these are released.

Tom
Tom. Did you mean 20+hp over the LS1 intake or LS6 intake because if you meant the LS1 intake then I'll save $800+ and take my spare tire out to gain the 5hp that I would have gained buying the LSX.
Old 12-20-2003, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

I know of atleast one shop that has one as a fact. And several where supposed to get them two weeks ago. Thats straight from the horses mouth in a face to face conversation. Things may have changed since then though. I am a little worried myself. If these shops have them you would think if it was a stellar performer they would be bolstering thier position for the upcoming sales.

BUT....although Im worried...we shouldnt read too far into things...atleast until regular joes get a hold of them and give good real world feedback. I know if they perform well I will be purchasing.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peaks numbers don't concern me much. If it shows descent gains at 5000 RPM+ over an LS6 intake on a H/C car then they'll sell like hotcakes.

<Keeping fingers crossed for now>
Old 12-20-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
...atleast until regular joes get a hold of them and give good real world feedback. I know if they perform well I will be purchasing.
Thats what scares me, too many "real worrld joes" have said they could feel the extra power that the TB bypass or other "power" mods did did....

My LS6 intake is currently being ported (my heads will flow ~290 through an LS6 intake), so it will have to gain signifigantly over an LS6 to justify the $800 tag, IMO.

Shawn
Old 12-20-2003, 11:31 AM
10 Second Club

For 800 bucks, I'd rather do a nice nitrous system. If the price was 400-450 bucks I think a lot more people would be willing to lay down the dough.

I guess this is the intake for the serious racers who are looking for every bit of horsepower they can get.

I'm with Colonel, show me area under the curve not peak numbers.
Old 12-20-2003, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SPANKY LS1
Thats what scares me, too many "real worrld joes" have said they could feel the extra power that the TB bypass or other "power" mods did did....

Shawn
Lol...not "those" regular joes. I mean people who can run consistant times and will be doing back to back track testing as well as dyno testing. I would never base a purchase of that nature by SOTP.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

I wanna see what the difference would be between the LS6 and the LSX on a stock internal car. But even if it did make 10hp over the ls6 intake I wouldn't spend the cash for it!

When some of you purchase one.. sell me you LS6 intake!

Josh S.