Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 05:02 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 71novaguy
how do we know the car didnt have another issue?
Thats a friggin **** ton of oil in that intake pictured above. Thats not normal at all. I'd say that the PCV was a dudd and stuck full open. Or maybe there was air getting into the crankcase and the intake vacuum was free to suck harder on the crankcase oil mist.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats a friggin **** ton of oil in that intake pictured above. Thats not normal at all.
Bingo. Someone playing scare-tactics?
Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

My 107k LS6 intake did not have one puddle of oil in it. The inside of the intake had a medium coat of oil on it and thats it. Nothing that would cause any issues. This motor had a factory PCV system its whole life. Factory pcv systems arent the best in the world by any means but I dont find a catch can absolutely mandatory.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As an experiment last year...for a few months, I capped my intake vacuum port. Then added a breather to my passenger valve cover vent port and a breather to my LS6 valley cover port. After looking at the oil there wasn't a bit of difference between oil changes "visually" that I could see. No moisture in it and it was the same color as usual.
It did stop the little bit of oil burning issue I had too.

But I put the vacuum intake hose back on just to pull toxic gases out of the crankcase just in case.

But I did it this way (picture below). I just have a breather on my drivers side valve cover...and I pull crankcase gases from the passengers side valve cover. This way fresh air gets pulled across my entire crankcase. Also at a little less strength than normal. I think the stock vacuum suction is just too much. So I have a needle valve on there and I can regulate any strength suction I want or I can shut it off completely. Mine is probably half what stock strength is. Oil is clean at my changes and zero moisture in the oil or in the filler neck cap, no white sludgy **** building up either under the cap. So its pulling constant fresh air through at all times and pulling out all the moisture, but not too strong where it sucks my oil mist out of the crankcase. I also have a PCV valve in line to close off at WOT so that important mist stays in there while at WOT.

All engines are different, I DEFINITELY have a good amount of blow-by with 130,000+ miles on my 427ci....so it works for me.

Attached Thumbnails Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...-valvecover.filter.jpg   Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...-dsc01992.jpg  
Old 01-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
My 107k LS6 intake did not have one puddle of oil in it. The inside of the intake had a medium coat of oil on it and thats it.
You are not supposed to have oil in your intake !

Nova and others..
If you have been around these engine long enough and seen enough of them then you would realize there aren't any scare tactics involved.

My intake had oil puddled up. It drained for 2 days when I changed it out and sold it.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes I realize this, the point Im making is that it was not caked or puddled in any way after 100k+. I would be willing to bet, taking it off, cleaning it completely and reinstalling it would not make one bit of difference in HP. Spark plug change intervals....maybe. But then I wouldn't be so eager to buy plugs and wires from you now would I???
Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...man+air+filter

Couldnt be any easier to install
Old 01-17-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Regular

Drive my car hard and in consumer about a quart every 3k miles. Just bought a RevXtreme catchcan from byunspeed as a group purchase ....Cant hurt!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-g...-purchase.html
Old 01-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My breather solution.. is the 100% solution to oil in the intake. This will stop it 100% of the time from getting into the intake. There is nothing to debate there.

Wether the possible toxic's in the air of the crankcase are a problem, is the only debate left to discuss.....

Oil analysis, that is the only way to REALLY tell if it's working or not. I've done them and know that it isn't an issue, as long as you drain the oil when it's HOT. This, is the key to being able to run breathers effectively.

As for breathers oil misting the engine bay, they will if you don't clean them. Think of the breather filter like this, yes it filters the air that the crankcase can see, but it also filter's what's coming out of the crankcase. So you need to clean it to allow it to do it's job effectively... if you don't they'll get oil soaked and then allow oil to get in the engine bay.

Just like over-oiling a k/n air filter, if you over oil it, you get oil on the maf and cause issues there. Make sense?
Old 01-17-2010, 07:03 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Oil in the intake doesn't only come from the pcv system, it also comes from bad valve guides and valve stem seals that allow oil from the top of head to work down into the intake runner and back into the intake.

I run a catch can, and catch a decent amount, but I've still had oil in the intake runners and a dry intake manifold.

Just saying, sometimes there are more than one issue going on.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

This is how my PCV System is setup..

It's been working fine for me..any of you see any issues?
Attached Thumbnails Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...-pcv.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 09:43 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Oil in the intake doesn't only come from the pcv system, it also comes from bad valve guides and valve stem seals that allow oil from the top of head to work down into the intake runner and back into the intake.

I run a catch can, and catch a decent amount, but I've still had oil in the intake runners and a dry intake manifold.

Just saying, sometimes there are more than one issue going on.
It also comes from reversion. On the LS3 there has been improvements to the windows in the block and pvc that are superior to the 3rd gens. There simply isnt enough vacuum at wot to pull out blow by. Here's a decent write up on the differences. If there is oil in the intake on a new LS3, there is something else going on. Fact is 3rd gens has allways had oil control issues. Catch cans are a band aid. The real method to controlling it would be through a mech vacuum system. imo

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:...&ct=clnk&gl=us
Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 AM

If the above statement is true about LS3 then the all the 2010 camaros with LS3 are having that a serious problem. Everyone I have spoken with has a good bit of oil in there intake. Some even are stock. Mine is not but since having a turbo I installed a catch can. Issue I have now is something caused the little plug on the drivers valve cover to blow off. I think the issue has gotten worse on the LS3 with many people seeing upto 2 quarts of oil trapped in the catch cans.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:43 AM
Banned

that bay to bay breathing started with the LS7. Have they had the same issues?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by lawdogg149
If the above statement is true about LS3 then the all the 2010 camaros with LS3 are having that a serious problem. Everyone I have spoken with has a good bit of oil in there intake. Some even are stock. Mine is not but since having a turbo I installed a catch can. Issue I have now is something caused the little plug on the drivers valve cover to blow off. I think the issue has gotten worse on the LS3 with many people seeing upto 2 quarts of oil trapped in the catch cans.
That much oil in the intake spells disaster. I would look to stop pulling crank vapor via intake vacuum and open up both valve covers with breathers. Or if your worried about the mess from breathers, use baffles or vent with -10 lines into one larger puke tank. I run a gz pump pullin from the valley cover, but then again I have a spider intake.

If you are pushing **** off the valve covers then the crank pressure is that much more with the FI.

If this is that common then sooner than later, someone will come up with a mechanical kit for the 2010's.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:30 PM
Teching In

In PA unless you feel like reinstalling everything prior to yearly state inspection its easier to just go with the catch can
Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodimus_Prime
In PA unless you feel like reinstalling everything prior to yearly state inspection its easier to just go with the catch can
My guess would be any state that does a visual would be the same.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Now that Tlewis is banned for back foor selling his products after leaving as a sponsor, I will say it one more time:
I have no idea why Tracy is no longer a sponsor. Maybe it is because of the economy. I am sure the auto performance industry has been hit hard. With that said, I find it very sad that you are elated that he has been banned. Tracy is the type of person that adds tremendously to a forum like this. He provides great professional advice for what???? A chance to sell a $100 catch can? Give me a break.

You won't find a lot of posts on ls1tech from me but I frequently use it for research. I reward vendors that offer their expertise freely with my business. I have had problems with my stroker LS3 purchased from a different forum vendor. That vendor provided limited after the sale support without more $$$. I called Tracy and introduced myself as forum member. With that alone he spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with me and sent me many PMs providing expert advice and recommendations.

I would also like to note that he asked that once my problems were resolved that I document it in a thread for others to learn.

Here is my vote to restore his member privileges.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Back door selling products, is not tolerated on this site both by the forum owners, and the PAYING FORUM SPONSORS that are here.

You can forget him being allowed back on this site, he's permanently banned.

ANY sponsor that decides to stop sponsoring the forum, then gets caught coming back on here and trying to drum up back door sales will be banned permanently, not just Tlewis. He was up to his tricks for some time, and this thread was a very obvious sales pitch, and was enough to push things over the edge.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

^^I still disagree but know my opinion dont amount to **** on here. I could argue his case with just as many post of his sayin not to buy from him but from payin sponsors selling his products. Which in that case is a sales pitch for the paying vendors, not against them.

But like I said, I wont waste my time b/c its pointless. I do highly agree banning members full of technical experience that they freely share either openly or via PM's is a stupid move in general. Just puts it one step closer to less experienced people tryin to put in their .02 when more experiences former members should be commenting.

Quick Reply: Why oil in the intake air charge is BAD...