Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported aluminum intakes pics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ported aluminum intakes pics?

I did planty of searching and found zilch but maybe I wasnt typing in the correct search words or something. Are there any pics or writeups on anyone porting an aluminum intake such as a weiland or professional products? I see they have a removeable plate on the bottom for easy access, but what is supposed to be shaved down or reshaped inside there? Any info from people that have done this or pics are appreciated....

Last edited by zaner; 02-01-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Dont everybody chime in at once
Old 01-30-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

As far ported intakes most run fast. As far as alum most just clean up the opening
Old 01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MonmouthCtyLS7
As far ported intakes most run fast. As far as alum most just clean up the opening
By opening do you mean tb opening?, intake to head port openings? Since it has a removeable bottom plate one would think that it is there because the manufacturer wanted people to be able to manipulate the inerds. It looks smooth and decent enough in there already. But Ive worked around aluminum my entire life and am very good with it. I have access to plenty of tools cnc machines, vibratory aluminum finishers, plasma tables, lathes, and an assortment of air tools. Id like to take advantage of this while its off the car and get the most out the intake I can. I just need to know where it needs to be touched up inside, I was hoping someone had done this that had a snap shot
Old 01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would open up the TB inlet to 90mm(if possible),and clean up the ports and runners a little
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a weiand unit thats ported at the TB opening and the intake runners. If i would of known about this thread earlier, i would of taken pics when i had my intake off the car friday afternoon
Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slayerized6
i got a weiand unit thats ported at the TB opening and the intake runners. If i would of known about this thread earlier, i would of taken pics when i had my intake off the car friday afternoon
Wel crapola...thanx for the consideration anyways ..what is the purpose of the removeable bottom panel?...I cant find any pictures or writeups on here about people modifying the inerds of thse aluminum intakes... makes me curious and id like to do all I can before putting it on the car
Old 01-31-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zaner
Wel crapola...thanx for the consideration anyways ..what is the purpose of the removeable bottom panel?...I cant find any pictures or writeups on here about people modifying the inerds of thse aluminum intakes... makes me curious and id like to do all I can before putting it on the car
it allows better access to the intake port runners. take off the bottom panel and youll be able to port the whole runner, and not just the opening
Old 01-31-2010, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slayerized6
it allows better access to the intake port runners. take off the bottom panel and youll be able to port the whole runner, and not just the opening
Well that sheds a different light on it for me...I appreciate it.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zaner
Well that sheds a different light on it for me...I appreciate it.
Duh! lol....yea I wish the Typhoon came like that as well.